• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mr Bob

I don't trust any data regarding 90s winters from the NWS. I remember the snow and cold events. Not as extreme as the 70s but clearly better than the 2000s. I know for sure that it's been altered just based on my memories, news paper clippings I have and the fact that there have been stories coming out where NOAA has adjusted temperatures down from the 1970s and raised them in the 1990s.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved to Knoxville in 94 as a UT freshman barely missing the 93 insanity.  Sooo wish I could have experienced that.

Man, I went sledding on campus for three days straight.  Was out there so much my leather gloves turned my hands purple.  Thought I had frost bite. LOL.  Fort Sanders was awesome.  People were riding four wide on dumpster lids.  I went sledding down hills on the backside of the engineering campus that I probably shouldn't have.  It was just awesome.  Went out in a Jeep write in the middle of the blizzard. Winds gusted to 70 mph.  Absolutely the best winter storm I have ever experienced.  My second favorite would be 5" of snow on June 14th in Yellowstone National Park while I was fishing the Madison. 

I don't trust any data regarding 90s winters from the NWS. I remember the snow and cold events. Not as extreme as the 70s but clearly better than the 2000s. I know for sure that it's been altered just based on my memories, news paper clippings I have and the fact that there have been stories coming out where NOAA has adjusted temperatures down from the 1970s and raised them in the 1990s.

The 90s winters in Knoxville were warm.  Lived through nine of them.  I don't doubt the data has been altered.  But those winters were warm.  Used to have to walk to class at UT.  There were winters I didn't even wear a coat in January.  I also taught there after college.  We had very few snow days outside of 95-96.  The Plateau may have been better which I think we have discussed before, but it rarely snowed in large amounts outside of two good winters in Knoxville.  I am an eye witness w/ a pretty good memory.  I don't doubt the Plateau was better, but Knoxville in the 90s was good for one thing...winning football titles!

The 70s were awesome as well.  I lived in Foxfire off of Ebenezer Rd near Bluegrass school.  We would sled at night on roads frozen solid w/ snow.  Like yesterday.  Great memories.

Get out of here!  I currently live a mile down the road in Pine Springs off Bluegrass.  I work with a guy that lives in Foxfire haha!  Small world!  :guitar:

I did some digging and figured these would be appropriate thanks to Stovepipe.

LMAO!  Hinkin's anniversary or whatever last year provided so much golden material.  WATE posted a ton of stuff, including Hinkin camping in the studio during the 93 storm.  We got some good riffs off that stuff.

Well it seems I'm an old man in these here parts!  :oldman:

I've always lived somewhere in the TRI during my current 51 years. And I agree about the 70s. We had some killer winters here. My Dad was on business in Atlanta, GA when the 1973 ice storm hit. We wondered if he'd ever make it back to Kingsport!

And way back in the winter of 1976-77 Sullivan County schools went all of two days in January. I was in 7th grade and missing all that time made for a long, long rest of the school year. They added 40 minutes to each day and we had to go on a few Saturdays as well to make up for the lost time. And we still went into June. Of course, this was long before there were "built in snow days" on the schedule.

But the blizzard of '93 will always be my favorite storm. I was 28 and living in Blountville. Just the howl of the wind and the snowdrifts outside our place was awe inspiring. I remember the local radio station WQUT quit playing music and did all they could to get word out about folks who truly needed help. People with 4x4s were trying to help anyone who needed heating fuel or other supplies or to get to somewhere safe (especially older folks). I remember them passing on a message from law enforcement saying something like "If you are out of cigarettes or beer, do NOT call the police as they do not consider this an emergency!" While everyone around us lost power, my little section outside of Blountville never did...but I can tell you I held my breath ever time it flickered...and it flickered a lot!

I was a reenactor of the Civil War at the time and the weekend before we'd been at a big reenactment in Murfreesboro, TN. I have always been thankful the blizzard didn't hit on that weekend! I'd probably still be trying to get home. 

Okay, gotta go...it's time for my Geritol...

I've always lived somewhere in the TRI during my current 51 years. And I agree about the 70s. We had some killer winters here. My Dad was on business in Atlanta, GA when the 1973 ice storm hit. We wondered if he'd ever make it back to Kingsport!

And way back in the winter of 1976-77 Sullivan County schools went all of two days in January. I was in 7th grade and missing all that time made for a long, long rest of the school year. They added 40 minutes to each day and we had to go on a few Saturdays as well to make up for the lost time. And we still went into June. Of course, this was long before there were "built in snow days" on the schedule.

But the blizzard of '93 will always be my favorite storm. I was 28 and living in Blountville. Just the howl of the wind and the snowdrifts outside our place was awe inspiring. I remember the local radio station WQUT quit playing music and did all they could to get word out about folks who truly needed help. People with 4x4s were trying to help anyone who needed heating fuel or other supplies or to get to somewhere safe (especially older folks). I remember them passing on a message from law enforcement saying something like "If you are out of cigarettes or beer, do NOT call the police as they do not consider this an emergency!" While everyone around us lost power, my little section outside of Blountville never did...but I can tell you I held my breath ever time it flickered...and it flickered a lot!

I was a reenactor of the Civil War at the time and the weekend before we'd been at a big reenactment in Murfreesboro, TN. I have always been thankful the blizzard didn't hit on that weekend! I'd probably still be trying to get home. 

bCLYWQN.gif

We need Skelton story time more often!

"If you are out of cigarettes or beer, do NOT call the police as they do not consider this an emergency!"

"If you are out of cigarettes or beer, do NOT call the police as they do not consider this an emergency!"

Nah, man.  You are not old.  Heck, I am 45.  I can't allow 51 to be old.  I am just now hitting stride.  Great stories!

We need Skelton story time more often!

LOL Thanks Stove! My wife always says I'm full of bullsh.....uh....stories!  :D Edited to add: Stove, I just saw your new signature! Glad to contribute! 

Nah, man.  You are not old.  Heck, I am 45.  I can't allow 51 to be old.  I am just now hitting stride.  Great stories!

Carvers I can tell you at 45 I felt like I was on top of the food chain! Now? Well I'm not quite there anymore. Still kicking hard but I just can't get the kicks as high anymore!  ;)

LOL Thanks Stove! My wife always says I'm full of bullsh.....uh....stories!  :D Edited to add: Stove, I just saw your new signature! Glad to contribute! 

Carvers I can tell you at 45 I felt like I was on top of the food chain! Now? Well I'm not quite there anymore. Still kicking hard but I just can't get the kicks as high anymore!  ;)

I'm hitting 40 on Tuesday, so you're tellin me I have 5 more years of the high life?

WAAjRBr.gif

I'm hitting 40 on Tuesday, so you're tellin me I have 5 more years of the high life?

WAAjRBr.gif

An early Happy Birthday to you, Sir! Well I think it's a subtle change. You know...like that "Wow, I tend to gain about 2 pounds a year" ambush which turns into "Holy spit I'm the size of a Yugo!" in about 20 years. 

KV, my dad told the story long ago of emergency management requesting that citizens stop dialing 911 for beer and cigarettes, but I honestly thought he was telling a tale...lol. I was a year old in '93, so I have no first-hand recollection. I don't remember '96, either. I do remember the surprise '98 storm rather well. From there, the next great snowstorm of my lifetime was December '09. One of the PD storms (I think PD II) was forecasted to dump one to two feet across the area, but we were dry slotted until wrap-around kicked in. Between it and NW flow following, I had roughly a foot at home. Great total, but it was such a disappointment that I have a hard time viewing it fondly, haha.

Franklin, virtually anywhere near 26 in Unicoi County will work. Mountain States Health Alliance is building a new hospital at Exit 40 (Jackson Love Hwy). Plenty of beautiful land around the Flag Pond area with access to 26.

thanks, I was also looking at the flag pond area. We found that area to be very nice. Taxes are getting too high here in NC.

Archived