Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mr Bob

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they went that aggressive. It's gonna rely on heavy rates just north of the 850 low to pull down cold air for areas below 2500-3000 feet. They think it will happen. NAM and other models show around 1 inch from the Northern Platea to Tri Cities, they are going much more aggressive than the most optimistic model in some areas. 

I started with simple x10, then added HomeSeer. After zigbee and z-wave matured, I dropped x10 and went to smartthings. Smartthings has its own issues, but as far a protocols go, zigbee and z-wave are pretty darn dependable.

Ah yes, I cut my teeth on x10 and HomeSeer as well.  It's amazing how well things have matured since those days.  I found some inexpensive RF chips that seem to work well with Arduino and Raspberry Pi but I've not had a chance to really test range and reliability yet.  There are a ton of cheap sensors and relays that work with these boards though so I'm hoping we can build out something nice with this stuff.  With Mosquitto and OpenHAB running on a Raspberry PI, everything can be controlled from a phone or the web using free software which is nice.

I started with simple x10, then added HomeSeer. After zigbee and z-wave matured, I dropped x10 and went to smartthings. Smartthings has its own issues, but as far a protocols go, zigbee and z-wave are pretty darn dependable.

Quick question for you. How long after sending in your information did you hear back from BloomSky?  Usually when you fill something out online you get an immediate email letting you know they received your information.  I didn't get that with the initial request for a free system or the survey I filled out afterward so I was just curious of your experience.  Thanks in advance.

Quick question for you. How long after sending in your information did you hear back from BloomSky? Usually when you fill something out online you get an immediate email letting you know they received your information. I didn't get that with the initial request for a free system or the survey I filled out afterward so I was just curious of your experience. Thanks in advance.

It took them a few days. I filled out the survey/questionnaire, too. My understanding is they send out the acceptance in batches. Make sure to check your spam folders for the next few days, some people reported theirs ending up there (not mine though). Since this ends (it did end in the 12th, but they extended it) on the 17th, I'd imagine you'd get an email within the next day or two.

It's pretty cool to go to say Lexington KY in the BloomSky app and watch the time lapse of the camera getting buried in snow then on Monday watch it melt away. Being able to see historical stuff at any site is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  If I don't get approved for the "freebie", I may invest in one, since my Davis is aging. Would be cool to watch summer thunderstorms roll through as well. 

I did notice this on their site regarding recent orders:

Shipping Update for Community Outreach Participants: We are waiting on a resupply of inventory for our Community Outreach Program. There is a 6 week shipping delay as of 2/17/2016. Order now to reserve your spot in the queue.

Agreed.  If I don't get approved for the "freebie", I may invest in one, since my Davis is aging. Would be cool to watch summer thunderstorms roll through as well. 

I did notice this on their site regarding recent orders:

Hmmm at $229 it's tempting.  Anyone have any additional details on the "smart home integration"?  The website mentions Nest and IFTTT but is otherwise vague.  I'd mainly just want a way to connect via WiFi and capture the data in my own log.

Edit:  I'm torn because for a bit more money I could get a Davis with rain collection, wind speed, and options for additional sensors such as soil moisture.  Hopefully the free one pans out.  Free is good.

Hmmm at $229 it's tempting.  Anyone have any additional details on the "smart home integration"?  The website mentions Nest and IFTTT but is otherwise vague.  I'd mainly just want a way to connect via WiFi and capture the data in my own log.

Edit:  I'm torn because for a bit more money I could get a Davis with rain collection, wind speed, and options for additional sensors such as soil moisture.  Hopefully the free one pans out.  Free is good.

I have a Nest Dropcam that works well.  But other than that, I don't know a lot about the smart home stuff.  I know you can hook up a Nest thermostat (expensive) and control your heat and air conditioner from you smart phone.

And I'm also torn.  I like the HD Camera, but there is also this option I'm considering for a replacement for my Davis...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PSV10UK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00PSV10UK&linkCode=as2&tag=weatheunderg-20&linkId=B2YVEXKD54VXFD7X

And here is a buying guide at Weather Underground with multiple options:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/buyingguide.asp

The Ambient weather station appears to have good reviews for the $$$.  Only $299. 

I have a Nest Dropcam that works well.  But other than that, I don't know a lot about the smart home stuff.  I know you can hook up a Nest thermostat (expensive) and control your heat and air conditioner from you smart phone.

And I'm also torn.  I like the HD Camera, but there is also this option I'm considering for a replacement for my Davis...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PSV10UK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00PSV10UK&linkCode=as2&tag=weatheunderg-20&linkId=B2YVEXKD54VXFD7X

And here is a buying guide at Weather Underground with multiple options:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/buyingguide.asp

The Ambient weather station appears to have good reviews for the $$$.  Only $299. 

Thanks for the links, that is good information to mull over.

Regarding BloomSky.  I do like the HD camera, but wish it wasn't all incorporated together.  I think it would be better to be able to shelter the webcam, but have the other in the open for more accurate readings.  If sheltered, it would help users keep a better eye on the conditions without an obstructed view at times.  Just my opinion, and if I am lucky enough to get a free one, why would I turn that down?  :-)

Question for you guys..I remember in college the geography prof telling us that ET was a temperate climate because we didn't average 50 degrees all 12 months(January) but I've seen some sites that list us as sub-tropical. Has the climate criteria changed since I was in college?

Archived