• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mr Bob

So, this is what we are going to do from now on when we need a storm to show-up on the models.  Gonna take a drive up in the mountains(like wilderness area)...seems to do the trick every time.

Anyway, we took the day (Kingsport schools are out today...) and visited the new Tweetsie Railroad Trail and then went to Hampton...took a right towards Dennis Cove.  We walked around on the AT for a few hundred yards then visited their campground while making plans for next summer.  Beautiful area up there and not for the faint of heart w/ hairpin turns and plenty of switchbacks on the county road.  Still some snow in the shadows there.  Stovepipe country!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be back on later to talk weather...probably after 9:00 w/ some thoughts on the "warm-ish" pattern which is growing snowier by the minute.  LOL.  Anyway, would much rather be in error saying it will be too warm than to hype a cold train that never leaves the station.  If tnweathernut is right, he deserves major kudos for holding the line.  See you all later this evening.  Be sure to check-out DonS's new post.   :snowing:   

I lived in Southeast KY at the time.  We, also, were crushed by this one.  The pine forests around the area were as damaged by any ice storm I had ever seen in that area, since the snow fell at a temperature of 32-33 the whole time.  It was the heaviest snow--as far as actual weight--I remember seeing up to that point.  It stuck to everything, including the power lines.  12-15" fell, and that much heavy, wet snow is more than the average Virginia or Shortleaf Pine can handle.  I remember driving around Laurel Lake two days after, and it looked as if a hurricane had come through.  There were hundreds of pine trees laying near or across the road.  Most had been cut so traffic could pass, but the damage was widespread and many areas were impassable.  I won't soon forget the level of destruction that was caused by this powerful winter storm. 

We seem to get a pine mauler about once a decade. That monster event spared what could have been even worse damage during the huge 3 day ice storm of December 1998, when I had 3 days of rain, which added up to 3 inches and the temp never got above 28. It was a powerless Christmas that year. I remember having a small cool whip bowl on my bannister at the start of the freezing rain. It was filled with a 2.5 inch thick slab of ice in a couple of days. Not much sounds more creepy than snapping limbs during an ice storm power outage. I was fortunately spared that last February by getting so much sleet vs the pure ice the central Valley and central Plateau got. My last pine mauler was the dynamic 2009 event in December that dropped 8 inches of wet cement at 35 degrees. Power was out for 4 days over that one. But it cleaned out a lot of weak pines.

Think we ought to make some bets on the super bowl,especially you Tenn.fans.Short notice but the loser changes your avatar to one of these pics for a week.Of course you know i'm all CAM.Anyone in?

cam newton smile Google Search.png

peyton Manning smile pic Google Search.png

Count me in. I'll bet on the Sheriff and his elite defense.

20-17 Broncos.

I'm not a big Peyton or Tennessee fan but I'm happy for him he's a class act. The Broncos defense is probably the best I've ever seen at least in the playoffs. Peyton didn't have to do much. I feel like he wants to keep playing but his body obviously won't let him. I thought it was funny when the showed his family and Eli looked pissed lol

Archived