Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mr Bob

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to figure out where I should go on a snow chase late week. Does anyone think places like crossville could get a lot of snow ? Obviously I have NC mtns in mind but I'm not sure about driving on those mountain roads in the snow.

If you want to get a huge amount of snow, looks like any of the North Carolina ski areas would do really well. I expect Banner Elk/Beech Mountain to get upwards of 18-24 inches and hotels are available there for under 100 a night. Just try and not drive in the snow, get there early and leave after plowing.

There's not really any guaranteed area here yet imo. 

I was actually considering west Jefferson, NC

Boone is roughly 400 ft higher in elevation. It's the best you can do short of renting a cabin on one of the higher peaks. Blowing Rock, which is just south of Boone, sits an additional 200 ft higher. I'm not sure what lodging options outside of spa resorts and B&Bs Blowing Rock offers, though. 

Any chance this system slides far enough south to bring Huntsville in on the party?

We've been discussing the southern end quite a bit here in the office today...given the temp/dew point spread, if the precip gets in quickly enough tomorrow then it could be a skating rink for a little while right in morning rush...it should go over to rain by mid morning. 

If I were in their shoes, I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole....not this run. They have enough problems with tomorrow's mess....

FWIW, Peachtree upgraded North GA border counties to a WSW. I realize criteria differ, but...still interesting. Of course, they're probably playing it as safely as possible after the Atlanta mess last year.

And that is all well and good, but 2" is really pushing it for the non-mountainous counties just to our south.. 

A few models are spitting out 2 inches for that area and there's also some prospects of icing down that way, it likely takes very little icing there to cause a WSW.

From their afd.

TO ADD TO THE SENSITIVITY. COULD SEE UP TO 0.2 INCHES OF ICE

ACCUMULATION AND UP TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW SO HAVE UPGRADED THE

PREVIOUS WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY AREA TO A WINTER STORM WARNING FROM

12Z WED TO 06Z THU 

Archived