• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

I'm all for GW discussion. Just not mixed with snow pattern analysis. Every time I see a block in the means I do not need 3 or 4 of the same posters reminding me how it's likely only temporary and we'll be torching again in no time. It's silly, immature and irrelevant.

Indeed I agree.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deterministic vs probabilistic modeling. A lot of people don't understand the difference.

You're an accomplished investor so you know the short term ups and downs are embedded in a upward long term trend. I'm happy you mentioned that in your post, it's a lot more than some others have done.

The trend is higher. Not sure how we pinch off the momentum.

Deterministic vs probabilistic modeling. A lot of people don't understand the difference.

You're an accomplished investor so you know the short term ups and downs are embedded in a upward long term trend. I'm happy you mentioned that in your post, it's a lot more than some others have done.

You don't need to be an investor to get that, anyone who is educated, and not just in the hard sciences, should get that concept. Heck, you don't even need to be educated, really, just well informed.

Jeez, I just realize I don't comment more about idiots then I do about weather lol! If only I took more time to go thru the data and crap! I mean I did take a weather course in college lol and have only been fascinated with it since I was 8. In school I was called weatherman cause I usually was right ha! Or weathermyer instead of bredemeyer lol

Jeez, I just realize I don't comment more about idiots then I do about weather lol! If only I took more time to go thru the data and crap! I mean I did take a weather course in college lol and have only been fascinated with it since I was 8. In school I was called weatherman cause I usually was right ha! Or weathermyer instead of bredemeyer lol

I'm so old that I remember when "lol" wasn't a form of punctuation.  :whistle: 

Really liking the ENSO filtered MJO analogs as a playbook for the next few weeks here.  Things look on track to me for cooler/more normal period right around and immediate days after new years, then likely an easing (warming) right after that.  There's a cold shot or two in here, whether the NE can produce anything out of that is TBD.  Will be interesting to track how closely the obs match these analogs in the next couple of weeks.  Great case study unfolding here.

By the way,Sundog, what's up with the dead bird? I been meaning to ask about that.

It was supposed to go against the "good luck" flying trio of birds posters had in their signatures a lot a few years ago because 2011-2012 happened and the birds didn't deliver the goods. So I figured it was time to kill off the birds and I never changed it since.

Yeah, that's certainly something to keep an eye on. Honestly, I really didn't think we'd see the kinds of improvements that are being modeled so quickly. And perhaps we don't, or they are being rushed a bit? The low heights in the west want to pump up a ridge in the east. I'm hopeful that what ultimately happens is a split flow with a +pna and STJ underneath.

Yeah, the trough staying in the SW will pump the heights in Canada across to the Northeast. You want to see the

trough that has been stuck in the West eject into the Southeast for a full pattern change. Something like that

may take more time since the El Nino is still so strong. We may have a better chance at seeing that some point

after January 15th when the best potential typically occurs in El Ninos. The only question every El Nino

year is how much of the potential is realized. Last winter was about the best that we have ever seen post

January 15th. Any snow at all before January 15th in most El Nino years is a bonus anyway.

Another view of  those teleconnectios out to 15 days:

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

But will the latest weeklies due out shortly pick up on any of this?

This reminds me of looking at a new LIRR schedule and looking down the track for the train it says was due 30 mins. ago.

Can't forget the 45 day CFS. 60-90 day CFS, too. Also, I hear the 8 month CFS forecast still has a +AO/+NAO. Doesn't bode well for next Winter.

Now many people are wondering how come the latest CFS models are not showing this much colder trend.   Their several reasons for this. To begin with if you are using the CFS from the CPC site it must be remember that that particular version of the CFS is based upon the last 10 days of data (and 4 times a day) so it is going to take a while to see if this trend from the EURO & CFS actually shows up on the CFS model.

In addition if you take a look at the Teleconnections from the CFS we see something very different. For example the PNA out to the 21st of January is quite weak and not nearly as amplified as on the other models. This is also the case with how the CFS is handling the AO which essentially keeps it neutral right through the 21st to 22nd and January.

The latest CFS now seems to see + 2c for Jan which has cooled from it`s plus 4c it saw only a week ago .

So as this latest data gets into the model , you may see a trend towards N start to pop up in the guidance .

As it is , it has cooled some . 

CFSv2.NaT2m.20151226.201601.gif

Archived