joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
10/28 - 10/29 Wind & Rain event

CapturedNature

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that site by the way is ultra cool, wish they had those every school. You can see by data mining the strongest  wind gust 39 mph associated with a high rain rate, quickest barometric fall and highest temp.

Yeah that station is sweet and a great idea for schools...the educational opportunities are big, especially for like an Earth Science teacher.

Where's the anemometer?  Is it on top of that Taj Mahal of a school?

I mean people continue to accuse me of lying. Not sure why. I just report obs. For some reason people seem to enjoy hurling false accusations. No biggie. Head up and continue moving. It's a marathon

I for one never did - just QC'ing the obs.  Most people over estimate winds.  Just drive down a road at 30MPH and stick your arm or head out the window (if you're not driving).  Based on the THS obs just prior to 0600, there were a couple of peak gusts to 25 which was the minimum that you stated so, yeah, there were gusts in the 25MPH range but 20-25 was more like it.  They were as low as 15MPH just prior to that.

Remember, you're known for hype which by it's definition is embellishing the truth.  When PF was discussing temperature with MPM a few weeks ago, he wasn't accusing him of lying, just trying to understand the obs.

looks like about 30 feet up

I think 10 meters is the standard for wind, so about that.  Too bad they couldn't mount it in the open field for more accuracy.  I hate those all-in-one units because you always have to compromise about the siting of one of the sensors.  The wind one is about right but taking precip and temperature measurements at that height makes it difficult to compare with other sensors or gauges at ground level or 4-5'.  It's not like they don't have room for it.

looks like about 30 feet up

That anemometer/ISS is barely above the roof. There may be some weenie acceleration/turbulence of the wind there. Not totally ideal.

That turbulence can wreck havoc with precip too. The 2m temp is a little close to the building so you have some possible radiation issues, but it's well off the ground as well. I guess it's just easier for them to install it up high...then you're at least getting some prevailing wind and you avoid the HS juvenile vandals.

Archived