• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
10/28 - 10/29 Wind & Rain event

CapturedNature

That anemometer/ISS is barely above the roof. There may be some weenie acceleration/turbulence of the wind there. Not totally ideal.

That turbulence can wreck havoc with precip too. The 2m temp is a little close to the building so you have some possible radiation issues, but it's well off the ground as well. I guess it's just easier for them to install it up high...then you're at least getting some prevailing wind and you avoid the HS juvenile vandals.

I will take a picture of my Davis2 at work, let me know if its an OK siting

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its 39 feet above the ground on the roof above my head with nothing around it

Wind: A+...looks like a good 5m above the roof with no obstructions. The rule of thumb is generally about 4m above the roof apex.

Temp/hum: B-...shielded with a FARS is nice. On top of a building with rocks naso much. With a decent prevailing wind you probably wouldn't see much difference. The big issue would be on rad cooling nights. I'm not sure how much you get for radiation effects due to the rocks with sun...maybe the height balances it out some with wind.

Rain: B...no obstructions, but like temp/hum you really want it close to the ground to minimize turbulent effects over the top of the gauge. You probably get some decent undercatch up there with 15kt+ winds.

Wind: A+...looks like a good 5m above the roof with no obstructions. The rule of thumb is generally about 4m above the roof apex.

Temp/hum: B-...shielded with a FARS is nice. On top of a building with rocks naso much. With a decent prevailing wind you probably wouldn't see much difference. The big issue would be on rad cooling nights. I'm not sure how much you get for radiation effects due to the rocks with sun...maybe the height balances it out some with wind.

Rain: B...no obstructions, but like temp/hum you really want it close to the ground to minimize turbulent effects over the top of the gauge. You probably get some decent undercatch up there with 15kt+ winds.

Thanks and that pretty much agrees with what I have observed, lol I'll show you the anemometer at 242 feet on top of our Obs tower. I do have another rain, DP sensor at ground level. Oddly it seems that under reports. The Stratus gauge is my go to. I am installing ground wetness indicators in the spring for our irrigation system. http://www.rainbird.com/support/SMRTYdemo/SMRTYfast.htm

I use this anemometer to determine whether I close the tower and elevator to visitors. Anything over 45 sustained gusts to 55 I close it. Its not for safety rather there is an 18 inch sway built into it and people get queasy at that speed. also the elevator with high winds could trip out safeties if operating at a full load. Top wind speed since we opened in 1998 was 96 mph in 2006, just  before Blue Hill recorded 97.

this happened at Blue Hill that day

18th: Tower on which the anemometer was mounted collapsed during high winds . The gust that toppled the tower was measured at 85 kts on comparable instruments.

High Wind Magnitude 85 kts. State MASSACHUSETTS County/Area EASTERN NORFOLK WFO BOX Report Source AWOS,ASOS,MESONET,ETC

this happened at Blue Hill that day

18th: Tower on which the anemometer was mounted collapsed during high winds . The gust that toppled the tower was measured at 85 mph on comparable instruments.

That was the best inside runner ever. I'd take that over a foot of snow. The winds were out of control.

An intensifying low pressure system moved across the Great Lakes and into Quebec, producing strong damaging winds across north central and northeast Connecticut on 18 January 2006. These strong winds brought down numerous trees, limbs, and wires across the region, and they were accompanied by heavy rain showers. In addition, many electric customers lost power during the storm.

Sustained wind speeds reached 44 MPH in Hartford at 9:37 AM and 36 MPH in Willimantic at 11:33 AM. In addition, winds gusts to as high as 58 MPH in Hartford and Windham counties. The storm brought down trees and wires on the corner of Orhard Hill Drive and Foster Street in South Windsor. Also, trees and wires were brought down in Ellington, Tolland, West Hartford, Plainfield, Pomfret, and in Thompson.

No known injuries directly resulted from this storm.

High winds developed after 6 AM on the morning of Wednesday, January 18th, and lasted until around noon as a cold front approached the region. Wind gusts around 70 mph (61 kt) downed many trees and power lines, which caused widespread power outages.

An intensifying low pressure system moved across the Great Lakes and into Quebec, producing strong damaging winds across Rhode Island on 18 January 2006. Sustained winds of 33 MPH at 1:14 PM and 36 MPH at 1:04 PM were measured at the Newport and Manchester airports, respectively. In addition, winds gusted to as high as 59 MPH at 11:45 AM in North Foster. 

Wind gusts downed a tree on a house on Cathedral Street in Cumberland. Two large trees and limbs were blown down in Coventry. In Warwick, winds knocked a utility pole and a transformer down. 

Wow Ginxy, that must've been nuts. Crazy it was recording 15-30mph winds and minutes later it was 70-90mph.

i have a graph somewhere, believe there was a 102 gust at one point but because we don't record every minute the readout didn't show it, once the high alarm came in it locked out additional high alarms until I reset it

i have a graph somewhere, believe there was a 102 gust at one point but because we don't record every minute the readout didn't show it, once the high alarm came in it locked out additional high alarms until I reset it

found it, lol right next to vortmaxes letter cancelling Eastern, man the stuff I keep lol

Archived