joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major cold shot, first frosts and freezes, 10/17-10/19

nzucker

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, although the definition is too simplistic and rigid in my opinion, a light frost in mid October doesn't spell the end of all plant growth until March.

Technically those low temperatures [30-31F] implicate a light freeze. A light frost usually implies temperatures in the middle 30s. However, I agree that some life can still survive post a light freeze. Not the case for areas that received a moderate, to especially hard freeze with temperatures in the middle 20s or colder.

Technically those low temperatures [30-31F] implicate a light freeze. A light frost usually implies temperatures in the middle 30s. However, I agree that some life can still survive post a light freeze. Not the case for areas that received a moderate, to especially hard freeze with temperatures in the middle 20s or colder.

I agree that it was light freeze, but I meant there was a light frost on some cold surfaces. The growing season is likely over for areas that dipped a bit into the 20's, that's enough to kill sensitive vegetation outright. Lower 30's, not so much imo, not in mid October anyway.

How did all area stations miraculously have the same 30 degree low in 1976?

I thought Islip only went as far back as 1984.

I agree that it was light freeze, but I meant there was a light frost on some cold surfaces. The growing season is likely over for areas that dipped a bit into the 20's, that's enough to kill sensitive vegetation outright. Lower 30's, not so much imo, not in mid October anyway.

I thought Islip only went as far back as 1984.

My information was from a messed up NWS graphic. They have since fixed it.

A light freeze might be able to get away with it once, if you protected them well. Some say tomatoes can survive a light freeze as long as there was no frost too.

I had widespread frost in Queens this morning and the temp never got below 34.

Tons of ice on everything this morning in SE Nassua. My veggies made it as far as I can tell though. I guess we shall see. winds went calm just at the last minute and I assume we got down to like 30. Not the best or worst radiating area where I am

Farmingdale looks like they only got to 33. North Merrick was 30. Seaford dude said 34 for him. My friend in Bellmore said 31. Another friend in North Wantagh said 29.

Archived