• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was one legit squall line earlier in the afternoon, check out the KBUF metar during that time!

KBUF 121726Z 21024G34KT 2SM -TSSN FEW015 BKN026CB OVC033 M01/M06 A2948 RMK AO2 PK WND 21034/1726 TSB26 OCNL LTGICCG VC SW TS VC SW MOV E P0000 T10061056
KBUF 121728Z 21026G34KT 1/4SM R23/2600VP6000FT +TSSN BKN013 BKN026CB OVC033 M01/M06 A2949 RMK AO2 PK WND 21034/1726 TSB26 OCNL LTGICCG VC SW TS VC SW MOV E P0000 T10111056
KBUF 121734Z COR 25036G56KT 1/8SM R23/0600VP6000FT +TSSN BLSN OVC008CB M02/M04 A2950 RMK AO2 PK WND 25056/1734 TWR VIS 1/4 TSB26 OCNL LTGICCG NE-OHD-SW TS NE-OHD-SW MOV E P0000 T10221044
KBUF 121742Z 24018G30KT 1/8SM R23/0700V3000FT +TSSN BLSN OVC004CB M02/M04 A2950 RMK AO2 TSB26 PK WND 25056/1734 OCNL LTGICCG NE-OHD-SW TS NE-OHD-SW MOV E P0000 T10221039
...ERIE COUNTY...
TONAWANDA 3.0 1235 PM 1/12 3 INCHES IN 30 MINUTES

If that band didn't get sheared apart so bad by those strong west winds the metro forecast probably would have verified. It never had a chance to getting pumping. Aside from that the forecast call was pretty spot on... Still curious why they haven't canceled the Warning for northern Erie yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had me down for 8-12" today and we got maybe 2 inches out of it haha!

Yep, I was in the 4-8 inch range and maybe got an inch with the squall line.  As we know, forecasting these micro scale events - lake effect, enhancement - can only be so accurate for a given area, even right up to the event.  Southern Ontario and the Niagara Falls area cashed in today on the enhancement, rather than northern half of metro and northern Erie County.  We're good at getting the idea of what's going to happen, but accumulations for any given area are always a toss-up.  Nature of the beast - part of what makes the weather around here so fascinating to track.  

Meanwhile...despite the moving lake effect the last few days, BUF has done little to put a dent in their huge snow deficit.  Hopefully this changes starting later tomorrow...

Starting to like monroe county to central wayne county tonight. Hrr pound area starting in a hour or 2. Keeps band in that area till end of run

Holy crap at the upstream radar off L. Huron and Georgian Bay!  Those suckers are just puking snow.  Someone east/southeast of L. Ontario should have some fun tonight.  Hopefully everywhere from Roch to Fulton gets in on the action for a few/several hours.  

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USNY0124&animate=true 

I think the meso models for areas E. of Ontario are too far south....and I think the NWS and Channell 9 are a bit too far south....I see this being more of a Central/Southern Oswego Co. event....if that connection with Geo. Bay comes to fruition, the meso models, in the past have frequently been too far south.  I think Fulton to Central Square....maybe Parish on the northern fringe....jackpot over the next 20 hours with totals near 2' or so....I bet N. Onondaga Co. (including my home in Liverpool) JUST miss out on decent totals (maybe get 3 or 4 inches).....

I'm just basing this on my experience from following these types of Geo Bay connections....if the connection isn't made...the band will be able to settle a few miles south into N. Onondaga Co.

lake ontario, too me, is harder to pin down band placement than erie.  Lack of funneling at the end of the lake and upstream connections from both Georgian Bay and Huron play havoc with placement, especially in the 280 to 300 degree range.  

Absolutely!  When the UL's get involved, the meso models off the E/SE end of Ontario can bust pretty bad!

If the Huron Band and the Geo Bay band merge to a point just NE of Toronto and they BOTH feed a growing band over the NW part of L. Ontario, then it's really game on (4-6"/hr. stuff at times) over Oswego Co. tomorrow early morning....

Those above mentioned bands were parallel and separated further from one another earlier....now, it would appear that the Huron band has taken on a bit more of a W-E orientation, which actually will feed the Geo Bay band, just as it is getting to L. Ontario.

If the Huron Band and the Geo Bay band merge to a point just NE of Toronto and they BOTH feed a growing band over the NW part of L. Ontario, then it's really game on (4-6"/hr. stuff at times) over Oswego Co. tomorrow early morning....

Those above mentioned bands were parallel and separated further from one another earlier....now, it would appear that the Huron band has taken on a bit more of a W-E orientation, which actually will feed the Geo Bay band, just as it is getting to L. Ontario.

Very strong band in Ontario

qGvcU72.png

I'm going to pretend that i didn't see the newest 0z WRF run and go to sleep, it shifts that LES band for tomorrow faster than an eye blink through the metro area and takes it all the way out N.Falls and keeps it there the most before it quickly swings it down to the southtowns.. INCOMING BUST ALERT! :lmao: :lmao:

I'm going to pretend that i didn't see the newest 0z WRF run and go to sleep, it shifts that LES band for tomorrow faster than an eye blink through the metro area and takes it all the way out N.Falls and keeps it there the most before it quickly swings it down to the southtowns.. INCOMING BUST ALERT! :lmao: :lmao:

Good, they handled todays "event" miserably.

Looks to be a Syracuse deal right now. I'm surprised at the wnw-ese orientation. I was convinced it would be more NW. We are looking at 275-280 instead of the 290 needed for Monroe county. King, you called it! It's in the details! Monroe does not do well with pure lake effect. Peeps in Wayne county doing well right now

Tim123, you and I will have to agree to disagree, Rochester very rarely does well on a wnw flow. Especially in a pure les event. I got my hopes up on one or two meso models but it ain't panning out. Our events mostly happen on a retrograde low that goes from Boston to the Adirondacks, or a low that goes along 80 in PA. In my memory, some of the only pure les for the south shore have north winds with inversion involved. We've had a few wnw les events along the 104 that were just pure les. And I'm talking about 6"+ events. The difference was that we had an arctic air mass squarely in place, as apposed to a front or clipper. The winds, miss aligned at that, are just too fast for this event. Hopefully, this rant will jinx me and give Monroe county a six inch snowfall once the winds shift in a couple hours. Glad to have another Rochester peep watching this site! I'm in West Irondequoit, where are you?

Archived