• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is true. The airport saw 13.5" since midnight today, and snow ended right around 1PM for them. That translates to about 1"/hr average but I'm sure there was some heavier snow during the morning into rush hour. While it wasn't strong for LES standards, it was intense enough and relatively stable over Northern Onondaga county which allowed for those totals.

For reference, Oswego saw about 2" yesterday from the squalls and another 4" today as the LES lifted north for a total of just under 6". We'll probably see 12" totals along I-81 north of Pulaski tonight.

True, I'm near Onondaga/Oswego county line and we totaled 14.5". It was pretty strong from about midnight till sometime predawn. We had basically nothing at midnight and 8-9" by 6 a.m. With another 5.5" after that. It's hard to get an intense and long lasting (> 8-12 hrs) single band on WNW 290-310 flow. Happens a couple times a season although some fly under the radar and mostly miss Syracuse city and hit the thruway & north in Onondaga county. George (LEK) can attest to that.

Latest AFD update!!

A NEARLY STATIONARY PLUME OF MODERATE TO HEAVY LAKE SNOW FOCUSED OVER
THE BUFFALO METRO AREA AT 00Z WILL PRODUCE SNOWFALL AT A RATE OF 2-3"
PER HOUR THROUGH ABOUT 02Z...THEN THE QUESTION IS WHETHER IT WILL BE
ABLE TO OSCILLATE DRIFT NORTH ACROSS NIAGARA COUNTY. WHILE THE SYNOPTIC
FLOW SHOULD BACK ENOUGH TO FORCE THE ACTIVITY NORTHWARD...THE SHARP EDGE
TO THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE BAND IS EERILY SIMILAR TO OTHER EVENTS WHERE
THE BAND BECOMES ANCHORED NEAR BUFFALO. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WITHIN THE
BAND THOUGH WILL CERTAINLY BE CLOSE TO BUFFALO
...WITH AMOUNTS DROPPING
OFF FAIRLY RAPIDLY FURTHER TO THE EAST TOWARDS THE GENESEE COUNTY LINE.
AS WE PUSH THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT...THE BAND WILL BE PUSHED FURTHER SOUTH
ACROSS SOUTHERN ERIE AND WYOMING COUNTIES AGAIN.

KBUF reporting 5.3 inches as of 8pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can see the band is weaker until it hits the 90/290 exchange by down to airport and Galleria. I've seen this with many cases as I lived there through most of the events of my life. It really helps being that far away from the lake. Not exactly sure what causes it.

The northwestern portion of the band is moving northward, yet the southeastern portion is going to be hitting the airport for a few more hours it looks like. (At least)

It's then supposed to drift southward slowly overnight. This event has serious potential over Kbuf. This is the best part of LES IMO! I love the unpredictability! :popcorn:

You can see the band is weaker until it hits the 90/290 exchange by down to airport and Galleria. I've seen this with many cases as I lived there through most of the events of my life. It really helps being that far away from the lake. Not exactly sure what causes it.

I know what you are talking about but we did good over here on the west side with this, I'd estimate a lil over half a foot as I left for work.

I know what you are talking about but we did good over here on the west side with this, I'd estimate a lil over half a foot as I left for work.

40 DBZ returns by airport and northtown burbs. Look at the western side of the band drifting well north, but the southeastern portion strengthening and remaining stationary. Pretty amazing stuff. Maybe Nick or LES can mention why this happens? Outflow boundary?

codnexlab.NEXRAD.BUF.N0Q.20160114.123.00

Nice man! should be drifting north of the area, but it will make a return in a few hours based on upstream radar.

not sure about that, the bands off of Huron and Superior are still going on what looks to be a SW flow, think it's a while before we see the band veer back to the south. Probably somewhere between 3-4 in the morning...

Archived