joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the term State of Emergency because people will make it out to be something more than its intended use, which is simply to active federal funds for quick disaster response. 

Even if the track ends up far enough East to minimize impacts, you're still going to have a lot of coastal flooding and as we know NJ has a lot of low lying barrier islands and beach fronts.

GFS starts with a higher pressure again. I don't understand how a difference of about 40mb wouldn't affect the algorithms. 

It's been posted 1000 times that the resolution of the GFS isn't capable of properly initializing the pressure. It's really annoying to see the same thing posted over and over again.

GFS is going to be an escape out to sea this run. I think the writing's on the wall with Joaquin-the trough just won't be able to catch it in time, and enough weakness exists in the ridge to allow it an escape hatch. Still a coastal flood threat with beach erosion, but besides some moderate rain with the retro grading front, the heavy rain should be suppressed south closer to the upper low and the hurricane out to sea. Huge win for the Euro.

Looking at the 500mb wind pattern you can see how on early Saturday morning the trough kicks Joaquin East instead of a phase. All you have left after that is weak stirring currents with a storm that's already so far Northeast that the onshore winds from the ULL don't have enough influence. 

GFS is going to be an escape out to sea this run. I think the writing's on the wall with Joaquin-the trough just won't be able to catch it in time, and enough weakness exists in the ridge to allow it an escape hatch. Still a coastal flood threat with beach erosion, but besides some moderate rain with the retro grading front, the heavy rain should be suppressed south closer to the upper low and the hurricane out to sea. Huge win for the Euro.

Strongly agree.  The big loser is the hurricane models.   I can see the GFS and CMC screwing it up but those models are supposed to handle tropical systems and instead we have a global model schooling them.

Can someone tell me what a West vs. East solution means in terms of landfall?

If the system heads as far East as the current consensus would indicate then the biggest impact here would be some coastal flooding and showery weather, other than tomorrow which looks pretty wet on the NAM and GFS.

If the system heads as far East as the current consensus would indicate then the biggest impact here would be some coastal flooding and showery weather, other than tomorrow which looks pretty wet on the NAM and GFS.

Alright, thanks. Can't keep up with this these threads. I guess we just have to wait and see then.

Check out the vendor thread. Better safe than sorry I guess but someone is going to look silly.

SoE frees up monies for local works to grab over time. Which is needed to local FD/PD/EMT, reality is localized flooding is already happening. There are tidal areas that will flood and create travel and access issues. No one looks silly for an SoE.  

Models are trending drier in that department too. We may see very little rain in the end. GFS through 96

gfs_apcpn_neus_16.png

The upper low is digging so far south that the easterly tropical moisture flux is now concentrating well south of the Tri-State area, mostly over the Carolinas. I mentioned this as a possibility yesterday. Over a few days 2 or 3" of rain could fall but it's something that wouldn't cause flooding.

Archived