• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

Hello from Ft. Lauderdale! Bring the hurricane here. Florida is much better equipped to handle a major hurricane than the Northeast 

Equipped or not, this would be a cat 3 cat 4 if it were to continue west into FL. Would not have the weakening likely to be seen in current forecast track. Not something you want, in addition, you dont need anymore rain!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to say this: The EURO was calling for historic snowfall amounts earlier this year when we barely got a few inches. Other models are having difficulty resolving how a hurricane keeps moving w/sw along with the zombie remnants of another storm and a stalled front along the coast. The fat lady has not even entered the building, yet.

I'm just going to say this: The EURO was calling for historic snowfall amounts earlier this year when we barely got a few inches. Other models are having difficulty resolving how a hurricane keeps moving w/sw along with the zombie remnants of another storm and a stalled front along the coast. The fat lady has not even entered the building, yet.

This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Equipped or not, this would be a cat 3 cat 4 if it were to continue west into FL. Would not have the weakening likely to be seen in current forecast track. Not something you want, in addition, you dont need anymore rain!

Extreme south FL has actually been in a drought. 15 inches of rain would most certainly end that drought.

Extreme south FL has actually been in a drought. 15 inches of rain would most certainly end that drought.

That it would! I can only image what the rainfall totals in SC and NC would do if they come to fruition. Add that to whatever comes IF this does make landfall... 

Look at how the GGEM captures Joaquin on Saturday afternoon. It's comparable to putting your arm around someone while walking. The hurricane becomes embedded within the cyclonic flow, first on a North heading and then to the Northwest. 

gem_z500_vort_us_10.png

Now compare the same panel on the 12z GFS. The trough doesn't dig as far Southeast so even though Joaquin is in nearly the same position, it doesn't have nearly the same affects. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_10.png

Look at the model and tell me it didn't initialize further east then the setup... please.

I suppose It could be just a hair east on the initialization, but I'm not sure it's enough to matter. It looks pretty close to me. At 12:15Z the visible and IR satellite looked like it was just north of the eastern tip of Crooked Island. That's pretty close to the initialization from what I can see. What are you seeing?

Edit: Anyone know what the parallax error might be for the tropical floater. I assumed it was negligible, but I'm not 100% sure that's true.

If the system phases during the next 36-48 hours with the upper level low then you will likely see a landfall somewhere between Charleston, SC and Cape Hatteras, NC. The longer the delay, the slightly further Northeast on the coast it will go. A bit of that has to do with exactly where the trough cuts off, and then how quickly it moves, because a further southwest cut off, which has been the model trend the last two days, the less influence it will have. 

The 00z GFS and to an extent the 06z GFS had the system interacting with the ULL energy but never trully phased, so even though the storm motion was influenced by the counterclockwise flow, the system remained more of a separate entity before ultimately still escaping East. To some extent, the 12z GFS and other 12z suite has shown this to an extent, with a slight jog back to the NNW before ultimately getting carried away.

Hope that answers your question.

Thank you.

This right here is the dilemma we have with individuals and the media trying to predict the weather on bias VS. actual logic and sound science. (I guess it is human nature)

The media will inevitably jump on the bandwagon of ratings, we know that. We need to not discredit the EURO solution (or any outlier we are dealing with) but analyse whether its outcome is plausible given the current setup and progression the players on the field. To say, "toss it" cause it stands alone is a big mistake. 

in this case we need to determine if the interaction (or lack there of) as shown by the Euro, GFS (to a degree) and several others has more or less weight based on what is happening right now. 

The Euro has zero interest in the capture scenario .

You can find models that pull this back , but the best skill score model has not moved and it`s ensembles have clustered east for 3 straight runs. 

Anything is possible , but at some point you need to respect the better guidance .

This should go east and we ( thankfully ) will be unaffected . 

ecmwf_z500a_atl_4.pngecmwf_z500a_atl_5.png

ecmwf_z500a_atl_6.png

I suppose It could be just a hair east on the initialization, but I'm not sure it's enough to matter. It looks pretty close to me. At 12:15Z the visible and IR satellite looked like it was just north of the eastern tip of Crooked Island. That's pretty close to the initialization from what I can see. What are you seeing?

Edit: Anyone know what the parallax error might be for the tropical floater. I assumed it was negligible, but I'm not 100% sure that's true.

To my understanding, they are not much different in altitude than the geosynchronous orbital satellites. So I would expect it to be negligible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived