joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2015 Discussion

Geos

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wind shift is going to feel like a pneumonia front when it comes through for everyone else in the area. 71°/66° currently. Fog and mid 60s at the lakeshore up here.

Ran into a few brief showers near the state line, but the air mass was already too stable for them to fire up further.

Man this storm to my SE over Lake Erie is going absolutely bananas, nonstop lightning for the last 20 minutes.

It's been a pretty good day for lightning, no doubt.

Saw numerous CTG lightning strikes myself with the early/mid-afternoon storms, something that's been MIA until all season until today.

I'll settle for it since there was at least some decent thunderstorm action today, which seems even more rare than a 90 degree high this year.

No disagreement there. And we had full hazy sunshine through midday to tote (another thing that's been rare on days with t'storm potential). 

Wind shift is going to feel like a pneumonia front when it comes through for everyone else in the area. 71°/66° currently. Fog and mid 60s at the lakeshore up here.

Ran into a few brief showers near the state line, but the air mass was already too stable for them to fire up further.

We dropped about 15-20 degrees as well with a wind shift to the east when the storms came through here.

Had a CLG Lightning bolt hit my shed earlier, no damage just a little charring.

CIPS Analog showing widespread scattered SVR next week:

SVRgfs212F132.png

There's definitely tons of potential given the strong upper level jet entering the west coast.

But as always, it's going to be a matter of how well the shortwaves phase with each other and where. I can easily envision a scenario where we instead get a strung out POS front across the Ohio Valley and just another heavy rain/training setup.

Anyone ever been struck by lightning before ?? Or had a close call??  Today with the first front of storms I experienced a very close strike. So close that I heard and felt the streamer just before the strike. It sounded just like a Tesla coil over my head.

We had lightning strike one of our tree branches before (nearly 10 years ago).

Anyone ever been struck by lightning before ?? Or had a close call?? Today with the first front of storms I experienced a very close strike. So close that I heard and felt the streamer just before the strike. It sounded just like a Tesla coil over my head.

My home took a hit 4 or 5 years ago...in the middle of the night...most of the electric in the home was fried. The craziest was my cell that was plugged in charging at the time. It was too hot to even touch for a good 30 minutes. Needless to say it was one of the loudest darn things I have ever heard. Ears were ringing for a few days.

I was chaining down a skid steer standing on the road as it happened. Large trees all around me and it was raining very hard. I will never forget the sounds and smell of that moment, the buzz of electricity was so definitive before the strike. I'm thinking it hit the canopy of trees above me.

Archived