Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tropical Storm Erika

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason NHC is holding on to this is because of political reasons- warnings already up etc. If this was never named and the recon was finding the exact same conditions they would probably not even call it a depression- 10111mb broad centered systems are not indicative of a TS at all despite a few 40-45kt winds under the convection.

It's just as likely to regenerate as any open wave. Shear is so high that regeneration would be slow. Non-event is 90% likely

Sent from my iPhone

It doesn't have to be a category 5 to be an event. I'm much more concerned with flooding potential in Florida with now multiple model runs showing Erika stalling over the area for at least 5 days.

18z models shifting as well, if this thing is even a "tropical storm" anymore. Consistently on the extreme southern fringe of the cone, if not blatantly outside of it at times. Jamaica may end up getting more of a "direct hit" than any of the Bahamas and they never had any watches or warnings.

post-533-0-33631400-1440790636_thumb.png

18z models shifting as well, if this thing is even a "tropical storm" anymore. Consistently on the extreme southern fringe of the cone, if not blatantly outside of it at times. Jamaica may end up getting more of a "direct hit" than any of the Bahamas and they never had any watches or warnings.

The center hasn't even stayed in the 12 hour cone for the past 24-48 hours

Storm is moving southeast. Let the fireworks begin at the 5pm advisory. 

There might be some sort of big change at 5 p.m. Not sure if it will be movement, track, watches/warnings or even a status change, but I think we'll see something.

On a side note, here's the latest analog data. Of 13 weak systems (TS or TD) within 50nm of Erika in Aug/Sep, five didn't even make it past eastern Cuba and only 2/8 tracked east of Florida. The rest went into the Gulf.

post-533-0-57537600-1440792597_thumb.png

This is up there with the worst NHC forecasts, and therefore the worst model forecasts since that's most of the forecast input. Might ruin the NHC verification score for the entire season.

6d13847a2c6a4f85e375ac02ac1ffc21.gif

Consistently too high with regards to intensity and this is the result....Open wave/TD as it was, and still is, and it's going west due to low level wind steering, which predominates. This is going to hit the south coast of Hisapaniola, and possibly graze northern Jamaica, before re-curving in the extreme Northwestern Caribbean. 

If you're off with the forecast intensity, you are incorrect with the forecast track.

A persistence forecast takes it right between Jamaica and Cuba..

A state of emergency doesn't necessarily mean that a disaster is imminent or occurring, it activates the national guard and allows tolls to be waived in case evacuations are necessary. Just a wise precaution.  

To the general public a "State of Emergency" is just that.  An emergency.  My older parents in Florida are a bit panicked right now.  It needs to be called something else less urgent.  Way over the top IMO!

Looks like last night's naked swirl has won the contest.

What are the chances of it regenerating and entering the Gulf?

Shear levels will increase in the the Gulf. If Erika is not a robust system at that point, the odds are strongly against her developing into anything more than a very weak TS..

I think this will ONLY get interesting again if the COC manages to just scrape southern Hispaniola and avoid Cuba and most of Jamaica...

I actually think that's more likely than not at this point, however...

There might be some sort of big change at 5 p.m. Not sure if it will be movement, track, watches/warnings or even a status change, but I think we'll see something.

On a side note, here's the latest analog data. Of 13 weak systems (TS or TD) within 50nm of Erika in Aug/Sep, five didn't even make it past eastern Cuba and only 2/8 tracked east of Florida. The rest went into the Gulf.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-28 at 3.44.41 PM.png

I think it will head into the gulf. However, the STJ is just too strong. Nino mounts 2 lines of defense against hurricanes, Erika is barely making it through the first line. 

I bet there is a lot of consternation on what to do at NHC right now. If they downgrade it  to a wave, there will be a lot of egg on their faces- not that it was ever an easy forecast, but the public does not really know or care about that. All they see is meteorologists being "wrong again".

Archived