joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential biggest severe outbreak of the Summer

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, good job by BOX on the warnings. Warning bumped to 70 mph at 623 AM, and then 80 mph at 629 AM.

Yes - really did a nice job.

Could make an argument that the initial warning could have been more serious sounding based on the velocity being sampled by OKX but that's splitting hairs. 

I have to say, good job by BOX on the warnings. Warning bumped to 70 mph at 623 AM, and then 80 mph at 629 AM.

Good job in here by you guys last night. I had no clue but when I got home from our playoff game in IJD I secured all the deck furniture and killed all outside power sources. Saw a pic of a shattered deck glass table because someone left an umbrella open.

Still no power at the house in Warwick I'm being told. Assuming all food is going to be spoiled by the time I get home tonight. Hoping the power will be back on by tonight but I know that's a tall task with over 120,000 customers without power.

As long as the fridge stays closed the food should be fine. Hopefully it comes back soon.

Yes - really did a nice job.

Could make an argument that the initial warning could have been more serious sounding based on the velocity being sampled by OKX but that's splitting hairs. 

A lot of times (especially at the end of a midnight shift?) you kind of fire that warning out to get it out there with defaults, then go back and update the SVS to put in the enhancement. I'm guessing that staffing wasn't quite full.

A lot of times (especially at the end of a midnight shift?) you kind of fire that warning out to get it out there with defaults, then go back and update the SVS to put in the enhancement. I'm guessing that staffing wasn't quite full.

Yup - that makes sense. Some of the damage on Long Island looks quite impressive too. 

It was great seeing those SVSs updated so frequently overnight. 

In the larger picture I can't see it matters if I see a SVR warning for 70mph winds vs. 80mph. No one in the public is going to know the difference. Even 60mph to a lot of folks feels like 80-100mph haha. The public is atrocious at guessing wind speeds.

mcd1605.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1605  NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK  1015 AM CDT TUE AUG 04 2015    AREAS AFFECTED...EASTERN NY INTO VT/NH/MAINE/MA    CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY     VALID 041515Z - 041745Z    PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT    SUMMARY...ISOLATED BOUTS OF SEVERE HAIL WILL INITIALLY BE POSSIBLE  THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS EASTERN NY INTO VT/NH/WESTERN MAINE...WITH  DAMAGING WINDS ALSO BECOMING MORE PROBABLE LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS  STORMS SPREAD EASTWARD. A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH IS LIKELY FOR AT  LEAST PORTIONS OF THE REGION /MAINLY PORTIONS OF NEW ENGLAND/ BY  EARLY AFTERNOON.    DISCUSSION...AHEAD OF AN EASTWARD-MOVING COLD FRONT...VISIBLE  SATELLITE SHOWS AN INCREASING/DEEPENING CU FIELD WITH INCIPIENT  THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT FROM PARTS OF EAST/NORTHEAST NY INTO VT/NH  LATE THIS MORNING. UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF RELATIVELY COOL MID-LEVEL  TEMPERATURES /AROUND -15C AT 500 MB/...MODEST MOISTURE/HEATING ARE  LEADING TO INCREASINGLY NEGLIGIBLE CINH IN THE PRESENCE OF 1000-1500  J/KG MLCAPE AS ALREADY EVIDENT ACROSS FAR EASTERN NY INTO  SOUTHERN/WESTERN NEW ENGLAND. ACCORDINGLY...RELATIVELY LOW-TOPPED  THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD CONTINUE TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE/INTENSITY  THROUGH THE AFTERNOON WITHIN A STRONGLY SHEARED ENVIRONMENT VIA  STRONG WEST-SOUTHWESTERLY DEEP-LAYER WINDS. MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL  WILL LIKELY BE THE MAIN THREAT INITIALLY...BUT DAMAGING WINDS WILL  ALSO BECOME INCREASINGLY POSSIBLE AS STORMS DEVELOP EASTWARD ACROSS  NEW ENGLAND THIS AFTERNOON.    ..GUYER/HART.. 08/04/2015     ..PLEASE SEE WWW.SPC.NOAA.GOV FOR GRAPHIC PRODUCT    ATTN...WFO...CAR...GYX...BOX...BTV...ALY...  

In the larger picture I can't see it matters if I see a SVR warning for 70mph winds vs. 80mph. No one in the public is going to know the difference. Even 60mph to a lot of folks feels like 80-100mph haha. The public is atrocious at guessing wind speeds.

Some communities have action plans for those speeds though. The Quad Cities used to trigger sirens for winds over 70 mph.

Ahhhhh I see. Anyone in the east do that?

I just can't see the public changing their approach to anything based on 10mph differences in the warning statement.

As Ryan said, it's more for the media to accurately report what we expect to happen since most communities around here don't have sirens.

As Ryan said, it's more for the media to accurately report what we expect to happen since most communities around here don't have sirens.

Yeah - not all SVRs are created equal. Important for us to recognize that to communicate the threat especially since many of our warnings are for awfully borderline events.

I still worry that a lot of SVSs are missed when storm coverage is ongoing. 

Yeah - not all SVRs are created equal. Important for us to recognize that to communicate the threat especially since many of our warnings are for awfully borderline events.

I still worry that a lot of SVSs are missed when storm coverage is ongoing. 

I think it's one of the worst practices we have, that when things get busy people stop issuing SVSs. I mean at the very least it can clear the threat for areas once the storm has passed.

I think it's one of the worst practices we have, that when things get busy people stop issuing SVSs. I mean at the very least it can clear the threat for areas once the storm has passed.

I told our friends at BOX that it's important we know where we're going to get the informaion first - NWS Chat, SVS, or Twitter. I can't be looking at all 3... things can slip through the cracks if there are 3 separate places I can get information of storm threat/severity.

Archived