joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Pattern and Disco

Ginx snewx

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WAR is the new fad term on here, people like to throw it around even in situations where it doesn't apply. I don't see any sign of a Bermuda high/Atlantic ridge on the modeling for August. Looks like more of a +PNA pattern with a cold upper Midwest and reasonably cool Northeast.

That's not entirely fair ...

"WAR," as the acronym means "West Atlantic Ridge" emerged as a weather-related social media expression waaaay back in Eastern WX BB days; in fact, it may have even been Wright Weather at that.   Is it in the AMS Glossary?  prooobably not, but not a new fad term. 

This site's dumbed down and terms like that disappeared with the emergence of shinanegans over science, btw.  I don't even bother making substantive posts because they don't get read.  People just want whipped cream - a cultural bias behavior to seek satisfaction without effort now invades this area too.  Instead of learning what cues to look for so that one may analyze the models ...teleconnectors, whatever, on their own, they just want to hear "snow" and how much ... In the older days of Eastern, people cared more to learn and showed some effort to really be engaged is all...

I bring it up because terms like WAR were rooted in the "art" of the older days of forum, the residue of real intellectual involvement.  So of course, people think it's new.  But it's not.

can you see this :weenie: lol

LOL.

Apologies for a 'non-pattern' question here, but any preliminary thoughts on next weekend?  I (and family member coming to visit) are running the Bridge of Flowers 10K on Saturday with post race pool.  Weather permitting.

Hoping for COC in the strictest definition of the term.

TIA.

LOL.

Apologies for a 'non-pattern' question here, but any preliminary thoughts on next weekend?  I (and family member coming to visit) are running the Bridge of Flowers 10K on Saturday with post race pool.  Weather permitting.

Hoping for COC in the strictest definition of the term.

TIA.

Cooler than this weekend. What time is the run?

Got the distinct impression the 00z Euro was expanding the areal expanse of at, or sub 0 C 850 mb temperatures over the N-polar regions above the 70 th parallel already - 

Tell me this isn't the last 18 months of pattern bias incarnate on the D9... 

post-904-0-89632400-1438437558_thumb.jpg

With a block migrating through the SW region of the NAO domain space, a huge attending lower tropospheric +PP anomaly manifesting on-going deep (cold Maritime+E Canada)/2 = arse pounding assault on summer enthusiasts air mass, ...that may as well bop the region right to the end of September or early October with that appeal. 850's to < +10 C with that?

Buut, we all know that the Euro tends to be amplitude happy in that range.  I find that funny, too.. I've been reading about the make-up/engineering behind that particular model, and one concept they materialize is "correction" algorithms. I won't bother going into it, but the gist is ... they come up with means to smooth/normalize for exotic permutations that tend to emerge way out in time; the hope is, tamping down the bad ones no doubt.

Well ... the constant tendency to cleave out depthy troughs into the OV ... shouldn't that be an easy one?  So, for now I'd say this Euro run is bullsh!t until it gets inside of about D 4.5.  

At any rate, whether this D 8 Euro pans out or not... it really hearkens to an on-going state of the atmosphere where it keeps wanting to engender blocking packets beween the 40th and 70th parallels. The models seem to detect it from time to time?   It would also appear to be endemic mainly to North America.  It's been going on since mid summer, 2013 ... and as discussed before, though it seems at times like it's finally stopping, it doesn't.  The models get right back to it like it is a "base-line" sort of look.  

Going to be interesting as the autumn nears. We got one month of Met summer left in us.. The weather pattern(s) modeled already try at times to sans the season; yet, the burgeoning warm ENSO would have a cold autumn, anyway.  hmmm.  

Cooler than this weekend. What time is the run?

9:00a.m. start.  Are you calling for sun with those temps?  That would be awesome.

I highly recommend the race to runners on the board.  Arguably the worst hill in a NE race outside of the Mt. Washington race (obviously).

www.bridgeofflowers10k.com

Every time Nate says I don't know what I'm talking about my forecast verifies. I recall I the autumn of 2010 when I called for a huge winter and he thought otherwise. My retort was "see you in April meat". Any questions?

July 13 meat, you insisted the pattern would not change, see you in Sept

That's sick... I doubted the 00z but this run comes in flipping me personally, the bird. ha!

but yeah, talking last week of Sept weather there, with a misty nor'easter and temps only around 60. 

Given the tele spread, it's not a 'un' buyable solution.  we'll see - 

Archived