• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

It looks like the ridge north of Hawaii extending up through the Aleutians is building more strongly

than the models had been suggesting. So don't be surprised if temperature expectations get

revised higher for the rest of the month. This type of pattern teleconnects to a more -PNA

and stronger ridging near the East.

Looking more and more likely we don't see a June 09 pattern setting up.   Maybe it was all compressed into that first week.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but I haven't had a legit severe thunderstorm since September 2010. Im kinda itching for one at this point. And actually i am one of the people who feel sympathy when you get shafted

I've seen hail twice in the last five years. Both times it was below severe limits, but cool to see. I was also in South Jersey for the Mid-Atlantic derecho of 2010. Rode out the storm in an RV. You want to talk about scary? The RV didn't stop shaking for two and a half hours. We were surrounded by tall oak trees and to be honest we should have left. The next morning all power lines were down and tree damage was extensive. That's about the only time in my life that I've witnessed a legit severe thunderstorm. 

Coastal folks should really be used to this by now. That's the price you pay for living near the ocean. I somehow doubt you will feel bad for me when I'm shafted yet again this Winter by a mega band that sets up over NYC/LI.

NYC will see storms this evening.

I've seen hail twice in the last five years. Both times it was below severe limits, but cool to see. I was also in South Jersey for the Mid-Atlantic derecho of 2010. Rode out the storm in an RV. You want to talk about scary? The RV didn't stop shaking for two and a half hours. We were surrounded by tall oak trees and to be honest we should have left. The next morning all power lines were down and tree damage was extensive. That's about the only time in my life that I've witnessed a legit severe thunderstorm.

That must have been insane. I was outside when the tornado/macroburst came through brooklyn and that was a hair raising experience. The loudest thunderclap i ever heard then all hell broke loose

Looking more and more likely we don't see a June 09 pattern setting up.   Maybe it was all compressed into that first week.

The strength of that ridge near the Aleutians snuck up on the models like the cool down the first week of June did.

So the YOYO pattern continues with historic Jan-Mar cold followed by an April transition to warm and record

May warmth. Big cool down for the first week of June followed by a warm up. Very volatile H500 pattern.

The strength of that ridge near the Aleutians snuck up on the models like the cool down the first week of June did.

So the YOYO pattern continues with historic Jan-Mar cold followed by an April transition to warm and record

May warmth. Big cool down for the first week of June followed by a warm up. Very volatile H500 pattern.

1945 had a very cold January...A warm March and April...A very cool start to June...A very hot middle and ending to June...

Guest Pamela

Coastal folks should really be used to this by now. That's the price you pay for living near the ocean. I somehow doubt you will feel bad for me when I'm shafted yet again this Winter by a mega band that sets up over NYC/LI.

Out at the WSO Upton, the driest month of the year is July and the 3rd driest is June...so there is an element of truth to the idea that the water promotes stability and discourages the development of cumulonimbus clouds...its probably a bit wetter here in Port Jeff as unsettled weather has a tendency to gravitate to this spot...but I do not have a rain gauge to back up this contention...

Out at the WSO Upton, the driest month of the year is July and the 3rd driest is June...so there is an element of truth to the idea that the water promotes stability and discourages the development of cumulonimbus clouds...its probably a bit wetter here in Port Jeff as unsettled weather has a tendency to gravitate to this spot...but I do not have a rain gauge to back up this contention...

It's a stupid argument in my opinion because no area close to NYC experiences legit severe thunderstorms on a consistent basis. Like everything else around here weather related, it seems to go in cycles. I like to refer to Long Island as place that thunderstorms go to die, but yet again didn't you guys have baseball sized hail out there a few years ago? It just comes down to being in the right spot at the right time.

1945 had a very cold January...A warm March and April...A very cool start to June...A very hot middle and ending to June...

Quick changes with the El Nino/MJO this spring after the +PDO and modoki El Nino carried us through the winter.

So it's no wonder it can take the models time to catch up with fast changes.

Thats interesting to me...at this station, July is the wettest month, with a 30 year avg of 5.20" , by far my wettest month. What is the July avg out that way if you have it?

Guest Pamela

It's a stupid argument in my opinion because no area close to NYC experiences legit severe thunderstorms on a consistent basis. Like everything else around here weather related, it seems to go in cycles. I like to refer to Long Island as place that thunderstorms go to die, but yet again didn't you guys have baseball sized hail out there a few years ago? It just comes down to being in the right spot at the right time.

Well I mean you are on the leeward side of a low mountain range besides having the water nearby...so all this works against the area...I think the wettest spots around here are in Morris & Passaic Counties...and probably up towards Candlewood Lake in Fairfield County (near Danbury).  Long Island, being near the water, has wetter winters than the interior & drier summers...and generally follows the coastal precipitation pattern (dry sunny days, any t-storms generally move through after dark). 

Instability values drop off pretty quick east of PA, so it will be tough to get anything severe east of the Delaware. I would expect isolated or scattered showers and weaker storms. Severe probabilities drop to practically zero east of Allentown.

I think east of 81 in Pa it will start to drop off.

Well I mean you are on the leeward side of a low mountain range besides having the water nearby...so all this works against the area...I think the wettest spots around here are in Morris & Passaic Counties...and probably up towards Candlewood Lake in Fairfield County (near Danbury).  Long Island, being near the water, has wetter winters than the interior & drier summers...and generally follows the coastal precipitation pattern (dry sunny days, any t-storms generally move through after dark). 

I am in extreme NE Morris County. Typically just far enough West to not be affected by the marine layer yet far enough East to cash in on coastal storms, unless of course the last few years become the new norm.

Instability values drop off pretty quick east of PA, so it will be tough to get anything severe east of the Delaware. I would expect isolated or scattered showers and weaker storms. Severe probabilities drop to practically zero east of Allentown.

The seabreeze is absolutely ripping here with JFK gusting to 39 mph the last hour.

Check out the whitecaps down in Long Beach. It's one of those days when you 

need cinder blocks to hold down your beach blanket.

http://www.nysea.com/live-cam/

Guest Pamela

It's a stupid argument in my opinion because no area close to NYC experiences legit severe thunderstorms on a consistent basis.

Not too many places anywhere get severe thunderstorms on a consistent basis...they usually come into being only when conditions are ideal (i.e. the approach of a cold front or dry line)...though, obviously, many places are far more predisposed climatologically to experience them...probably the western High Plains are the epicenter of that sort of thing in N. America. 

Guest Pamela

Not too far from severe wind criteria!!

Do you like life down there in the hailstone & sarsaparilla belt?

Archived