Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides really needing it due to the lack of rain, I need to a good thunderstorm for some meterological excitement.

You're more than welcome to crash here. Today was the first day to really be partly cloudy in possibly 2 weeks. The storms today might miss us to the north, but another STJ disturbance and severe weather is expected in 2-3 days. If the next rain event produces, some places in/around Austin might reach 20" of rain for the month. Camp Mabry near downtown is almost at 17". And when the sun comes out like today, the humidity is atrocious. Every morning this month we've had steam fog and low clouds because the air and ground are completely soaked. Lake Travis, the main reservoir for the city NW of here, many miles across, rose 22 feet this week, and 8 feet in one morning. 

I was reading today that every day this month, some location in TX had 4" or more daily rain. The airmass overhead is more like you'd find in Miami. This pattern is just never ending-southerly surface flow from the Gulf, and SW flow aloft carrying plenty of moisture from the Pacific. The resulting shear has also been conducive for the severe outbreaks and tornadoes. 

Minus the extreme flooding and ridiculous humidity I'd love to join you.

Was watching the weather channel (which is unfortunate but it was for only a minute :) ) and a creek near Austin rose 25-40ft in 1 hour (hard to say with one bc they weren't making any sense during the report I caught)...JM, any news on that?

Was watching the weather channel (which is unfortunate but it was for only a minute :) ) and a creek near Austin rose 25-40ft in 1 hour (hard to say with one bc they weren't making any sense during the report I caught)...JM, any news on that?

Here are some pictures and news about what happened here yesterday:

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/05/austin_texas_flood_may_26.html

I also took a couple of pictures that are in the picture thread. 

This is at the level August 2011 was in the NYC area. To compare, JFK had 17" of rain that month, Islip 11.5", Central Park and Newark about 19".  

Wimberley, which been all over the news, is a 30 minute or so drive from where I live in Hays County, immediately south of Austin. That's on the Blanco River, which had essentially the equivalent of the massive 2013 flood in Colorado-unprecedented crest on that and the San Marcos Rivers as a wall of water flowed from the Hill Country down those rivers. There's massive devastation down there. 

The rivers that feed Lake Travis haven't even seen the heaviest rain-that has been closer to my area and east from here, and then another big area in OK/northern TX/western Arkansas. If there's another big soaking and Lake Travis fills completely, there might be big problems as the dam has to be opened and the entire Colorado River may face massive flooding. The long range pattern looks to stay in typical El Nino mode, so if this keeps up next month and God forbid a hurricane/tropical storm hits this area, we're in big trouble. 

Craziness.

raDceLk.png

Thanks man. Record shattered.

Here's some news on what we are talking about. Crazy stuff.

Wow. 44' surge of water

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/05/26/extreme-weather-texas-oklahoma/27945961/

Creek rises 22' in one hour

http://mashable.com/2015/05/26/lake-travis-rises-22-feet-texas/

Wimberley and much of Hays County itself didn't even have that much rain on Saturday (1-3" fell in those places I think)-it all fell and stalled over the sources in the Hill Country in Blanco County that evening-a foot of rain fell upstream of the worst hit towns, mostly in a few hours. The hills those rivers flow down are also fairly steep, and contributed to incredible water rises. The ground has also been saturated, so all of the rain drained into the rivers. Austin itself is protected somewhat by the fact Lake Travis has so much spare capacity that releases haven't had to be made into the Colorado River, and the heaviest of the rain has missed that area. Downtown is also pretty high above the river-the banks are mostly docks and biking/walking trails. But that capacity is running out fast-Lake Travis is about 22 feet from full and that's how much it's risen just this week. The river's still high though-boats and watercraft have been banned from the river, and the immediate banks are underwater. The creeks are fed much closer to the city and flow down steep hills as well, which is why flooding on the creeks has been the bigger story in Austin proper. The creeks are a big enough problem-Shoal and Waller Creeks which flooded yesterday still caused major damage to parts of the city. But it's nothing like Sandy where places are devastated for weeks or more-downtown was mostly back to normal this afternoon. The waters rise very fast but also recede very fast when the runoff stops and there can be drainage.

Craziness.

raDceLk.png

Wimberley is a fairly small town west of I-35 and where the terrain is quite steep. The rise may have actually been higher-the gauge was lost. San Marcos and Kyle are bigger towns on I-35, with tens of thousands of residents-these places are all 30-45 minutes from anywhere in Austin, and were flooded as well. I don't think the rise was as crazy there though because the terrain is flatter on I-35 itself. 

Extreme weather follows JM

People have been telling me this all day-wherever I am, there's a flood. :(

I'd take in a second the 50"+ winter you all enjoyed. There was one day here we had some glazing on cold surfaces and that was it. And the heat is already atrocious, and temps are below average. Our average high now is 90. 

People have been telling me this all day-wherever I am, there's a flood. :(

I'd take in a second the 50"+ winter you all enjoyed. There was one day here we had some glazing on cold surfaces and that was it. And the heat is already atrocious, and temps are below average. Our average high now is 90. 

I'd give up snow for the next five years to experience the amount of rain that you've had in such a short period. 

does anybody here use a dedicated premium weather software for marine stuff/boating?

would you be able to recommend one? thanks

I have been boating for years, i have yet to find dedicated software however all of software and sites most of us use now, especially the NWS, offer great resources. 

And I think you're nuts for wanting cold and snow all year round. If it never snowed again I wouldn't care. In fact, I hope next Winter is warm and well above average in rainfall. 

ugly stretch for you, epic cold and snows, and then warm/hot and bone dry once that ended...

Archived