• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope all of you are full and thankful this evening. I'm about to hit the outlets for some people watching.

Kinda hard to believe that we haven't even had any black ice yet.

Saw reports of black ice on 302 between here and Woodsville, NH earlier. I guess there was a big accident that closed a long stretch of it through Groton, VT.

The biggest enjoyment was seeing the line at Kohls literally run around the entire store. Some of those people will be in line for 2hrs. You could give me the stuff I want for free and I still wouldn't wait in line that long.

+1. I don't get the whole thing. But those people on line probably think similarly about us reading this board.

We’ve got some light snow falling out there at the moment, but only a trace of accumulation thus far.

J.Spin.... crazy meso-scale stuff in the mountains right now.

It is actually sunny with no new snow on the upper mountain, with a half inch of new snow and steady light snow falling at mid-mountain.

I've never seen anything like this.  Legit snowing at mid and lower mountain while it is sunny at the top.

So this is the top of the FourRunner Quad as you know... with no new snow and blue skies.

This is at mid-mountain 2,600ft near the top of the Triple and its snowing and accumulating.

One of the craziest things I've seen.

What does it look like looking down?  I guess you just ski into thick clouds and as you get lower the flakes get bigger??

I'll have more photos from my camera when I get home later...those were just some from the iPhone quickly.

Yeah you just ski into a cloud and then once in the cloud a little bit, it starts snowing. 

MVL and SLK reporting -SN while the summits are sunny.

From BTV:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 10 PM THIS EVENING/...
AS OF 1213 PM EST SATURDAY...HAVE UPDATED FORECAST TO MENTION
AREAS OF VERY LIGHT DRIZZLE/FREEZING DRIZZLE AND FLURRIES ACROSS
THE MOUNTAINS OF CENTRAL/NORTHERN VT AND PARTS OF THE NORTHERN
DACKS. NWS EMPLOYEE FROM JERICHO REPORTED VERY LIGHT FREEZING
DRIZZLE...WHILE FLURRIES/LIGHT SNOW IS OCCURRING ON THE MIDSLOPE
LOCATIONS OF STOWE AND SARANAC LAKE.
ANY PRECIP WILL BE EXTREMELY
LIGHT GIVEN THE LACK OF VERTICAL MOISTURE AND WEAK LIFT ASSOCIATED
WITH UPSLOPE FLOW. THE MOISTURE IS SO SHALLOW THAT THE MOUNTAIN
SUMMITS ABOVE 3600 FEET ARE EXPERIENCING MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES PER
SPOTTER REPORTS FROM STOWE AND WHITEFACE
WEB CAM. EXPECT THE LOW
LEVEL MOISTURE TO SLOWLY DECREASE THIS AFTERNOON WITH TEMPERATURES
HOLDING STEADY. SOME BREAKS IN THE OVERCAST WILL DEVELOP BY SUNSET
ACROSS THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND PARTS OF THE CHAMPLAIN
VALLEY.

.1?

Nope, I checked thoroughly; these flakes are tiny and any accumulation has been sub 0.1” so far.  It would mean a third accumulating event in for November if it happened down here, but thus far it goes down as just a trace.  It’s still really nice to have the snow falling though; I’ve got some Christmas music going as I give the snowthrower its annual maintenance in the garage.  It certainly feels rather November-like today.

It is actually sunny with no new snow on the upper mountain, with a half inch of new snow and steady light snow falling at mid-mountain.

I've never seen anything like this.  Legit snowing at mid and lower mountain while it is sunny at the top.

So this is the top of the FourRunner Quad as you know... with no new snow and blue skies.

attachicon.gifIMG_0221.JPG

This is at mid-mountain 2,600ft near the top of the Triple and its snowing and accumulating.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender(1)(1).jpg

One of the craziest things I've seen.

Very cool; this seemed like that low-level sort of snow when I first saw it this morning, and when I couldn’t really see it on radar I knew that must be the case.  I told E and the boys about the crazy setup on the mountain and they thought it must be a really unique experience as well.

Very cool; this seemed like that low-level sort of snow when I first saw it this morning, and when I couldn’t really see it on radar I knew that must be the case.  I told E and the boys about the crazy setup on the mountain and they thought it must be a really unique experience as well.

It really was crazy to me.  Tomorrow when its mostly sunny (at all elevations, haha), there's going to be a very stark elevation band of white...and then a brown ridgeline.  We will actually get to see an "inverted snow level" with white below brown.  Can't wait to see what it looks like.

J.Spin, since I know you know Stowe...you start above the clouds, and then by the time you get to the top of the Mountain Triple it is snowing out.  Still blows my mind, haha.

2L8A1675_edited-2_zpsygsnellv.jpg

2L8A1671_edited-2_zpshwrlycut.jpg

Archived