• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Signs of Spring - 2015 version

KamuSnow

After checking the signs of spring thread from a year ago for comparison's sake, it looks as though some things are actually running later than a year ago, and that's saying something.

Spring peepers, heard the first ones last night - a year ago heard them about a week earlier. I think they only need one warm day to perk up this time of year though.

Have some daffodils popping up here on south facing banks.

Forsythia - not yet - last year they started blooming here April 10th. I would be surprised if it took that long again this year.

Snow piles - last year all gone on March 30th. This year may make it to April 1st?!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing, except patches of greener grass starting to show up. It's about the most dead looking I've seen it given April's only a few days away. Still no crocus which is incredible. Usually it's around mid March.

Even up here, by now at least the grass is usually starting to turn green. This year there is not even a HINT of green in the grass anywhere. Not even the wild onion, which is usually the first to pop up.

My crocuses have been struggling to come up (and kept getting snowed on each time they tried, so they are afraid :P ).  At least my sister's snowdrops were freed from the glaciers and have been making an appearance this past week.  Blueberry and lilac buds are starting to swell.  If we can get past mid-April without a late freeze, the mid-late spring blooming shrubs should be good to go.

My crocuses have been struggling to come up (and kept getting snowed on each time they tried, so they are afraid :P ).  At least my sister's snowdrops were freed from the glaciers and have been making an appearance this past week.  Blueberry and lilac buds are starting to swell.  If we can get past mid-April without a late freeze, the mid-late spring blooming shrubs should be good to go.

I'd like to avoid the mid-April freeze as well. Last year a white Magnolia here was a day away from full bloom when that happened, 2 days later they were all brown.

Even up here, by now at least the grass is usually starting to turn green. This year there is not even a HINT of green in the grass anywhere. Not even the wild onion, which is usually the first to pop up.

Yeah it's amazing.

Well, it "only" took until almost April 1st, but I finally see crocus bulbs poking through the ground. Very impressive how late it is this year, probably about as late as we can get it. Normally they're coming up in mid March. First grass cut may not be until after the 15th this spring.

No bulbs up yet and I really miss the peepers.  Definitely a late spring.

Don't know about over your way, but here the peepers have been chirping the last 2 nights, after a few days hiatus from the first "sighting" last Thursday. Tuesday evening it was raining and 38F, and they were out, then again last night, and this morning I actually heard them around 5:30 am, even though the temp. was 31F. Today will be a spring fever alert kind of day, so I imagine they'll be out in force tonight. I think like many of us they are chomping at the bit for some spring weather.

Got my lawn tractor serviced today. Does that count as a sign of spring?

Absolutely! Same as 3 bags of mulch does. This doubles as a snow pile report, the pic is from yesterday morning, pleased to report that the classic snow pile (the one with the squirrel on it) is still there as of April 1st, compared with it's March 30th demise last year. It will probably be gone by Friday night. The pile in the back is the "new this year" shaded snow pile, as one might expect still doing pretty well.

post-9898-0-33455500-1427972698_thumb.jp

Almost done splitting and stacking wood. Close to 4 cord ready for whatever next winter brings. Loads of Ospreys have been returning. Must have hitched a ride on that big south wind on Tuesday. Saw an eagle chasing an osprey and trying to steal its fish.

Headed to outer banks Monday for some surfing and fishing. Plus just some r and r.

Chance of severe storms tonight, low cape high shear event. I'm ready.

666f002ea6f43e0fc27f547f0032606f.pngMost of our area in a marginal risk with a slight risk for the SNJ people in the forum, along with two small patches of slight risk around NJ?

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 AM SATURDAY/...
ACTIVE TONIGHT IN OUR AREA WITH POTENTIAL FOR SVR STORMS AS A
QUICKLY STRENGTHENING LLJ
 DURING THE EVENING IN ASSN WITH RAPIDLY
INTENSIFYING LOW PRESSURE CREATES STRONG MOISTURE
 FLUXES AND A
BAND OF HEAVY SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED TSTMS. STRONG SHEAR WITH 60 KT
OF WIND AT 850 MB
 AND CERTAINLY ELEVATED INSTABILITY ALOFT: SWI -1
KI 34 AND TT 51 AND SBLI NEAR 0C WITH ML CAPE
 AROUND 200J AND
0-6KM BULK SHEAR
 45 KT OR GREATER AND EVEN 0-3KM KM SHEAR GREATER
THAN 40 KT
 COULD/SHOULD ALLOW FOR A BOWING LINE OF HEAVY SHOWERS
AND ISOLATED EMBEDDED SVR TSTMS IN E PA/NJ IN THE 04Z-08Z TIME
FRAME. FOR NOW HAVE GRIDDED GUSTY WINDS AND INCORPORATED SPC
 D1
INTO THE FCST.

Last snow piles disappeared yesterday in NW Chesco - one day later than last year.

Here in AC, NJ sea breeze has finally calmed down with some light rain.   It's been pretty chilly

since we got here Sunday.   While Philly basked in mid 70's yesterday, it was 20 degrees cooler

here with a rather biting wind.   57 this morning is the warmest its been yet since Sunday.

The white Magnolia is starting to flower - actually started Sunday afternoon. Grass is stating to green up - estimating about 2 weeks from now for the first cut.

The sunny snow pile finished melting on Friday, the shaded one last night. Good run for them!

Same here. Grass finally starting to green up, magnolias on the verge of blooming, perennials broke ground several days ago, and the maples have red buds. Forsythia buds and Bradford pear buds also beginning to have that pre-bloom look. Trees and vegetation overall are probably at least 1 week behind schedule, if not more. This will probably be the latest first cut in memory, unless we have an 80 degree day in the next week, which doesn't look likely. Probably looking at the 3rd week of April as well here. 

Archived