joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring - 2015 version

KamuSnow

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything seems to be about a week behind schedule overall. The early flowering trees like the Bradford pears are still full bloom; usually they've begun leafing out by April 20th or so. The larger oaks and maples are budding profusely but still have at least 2 weeks, if not 2.5 weeks, until full/complete leaf out. We're probably looking at around May 15th this year for full-leaf on most of the oaks, which is a bit late.

This spring isn't as late as 2003, however. The warmer April this year helped to speed things along. In 2003, the cherry blossoms didn't reach full bloom until the last week of April, about as late as you can get around here.

First cut of the lawn yesterday hardly qualifies as a cut. Only cut the front lawn and though while nice and green barely nicked it. No grass clippings on the deck. Lack of rain is slowing an already slow year I imagine.

Forsynthia is still in bloom when typically it would be done three weeks ago.

Kwanzan cherries with the pink flowers are now exploding and approaching peak bloom. We seem to be quickly catching up with the milder than normal weather over the past few weeks. Beginning to gradually look more summery with some species leafing out. Expect to be full leaf-out for most trees in a couple weeks. Very warm weather next week should hasten the process.

Had a nice little cluster move over my area. 2" rainfall rates at the peak. 

I saw some lightning flashes around 9:30 pm and had a few drops of rain.

Last night we saw a single lighting bug milling about in the front yard for about 20 minutes. Normally around here the last week of May is the early time for sightings, so it was pretty surprising. I don't think it was the start of an early season for them...not sure why he was so early. Definitely cool though!

Worcester - got 0.00 rain today.  Looked promiosing for a while this afternoon. But we got missed again.  I am a little surprised how well the grass is doing considering how little rain we have had. I guess if it was August and this dry - it would be brown lawns. Residual moisture in the lawns from the earlier spring rains??? Dandelions have not suffered at all.

Archived