a second low pressure system rides along the front from the
southern Plains into the Great Lakes, and let me tell you, this looks ugly for
the southern Plains on Saturday, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri on Sunday, and
then Illinois/southern Wisconsin/southern Michigan/Indiana on Monday IF the
current trends hold for severe weather. All modes of severe are possible
(tornadoes, hail, high winds, and also flooding). Stay tuned as we get closer
to Sunday and Monday. This could get ugly for parts of the Midwest and Great
Lakes through this three day period as a powerful low pressure moves across the
central portion of the U.S., from southwest to northeast.

Had several prior commitments keeping me from chasing this week, including Sat, but that ends for Sun.  Looks like a pretty solid setup.  Chomping at the bit to get back out there after Apr 9th's crushing defeat lol.

Liking somewhere in the western IA/eastern NE area at this point, but still a long ways to go.

Had several prior commitments keeping me from chasing this week, including Sat, but that ends for Sun. Looks like a pretty solid setup. Chomping at the bit to get back out there after Apr 9th's crushing defeat lol.

Liking somewhere in the western IA/eastern NE area at this point, but still a long ways to go.

Would've been lined up to go chasing this weekend as I'm off from work, but will be down in Houston TX through Monday. Good luck Sunday!

Would've been lined up to go chasing this weekend as I'm off from work, but will be down in Houston TX through Monday. Good luck Sunday!

Thanks man.  Def still some details to be worked out in regards to Sun.  The meat of the H5 jet streak moves atop the instability axis Sunday, but the big question will be lapse rate quality and the associated potential for ongoing leftovers from Sat muddling up things.  Definitely has a large ceiling conditional wise, but we know how that can go sometimes.  

Thanks man. Def still some details to be worked out in regards to Sun. The meat of the H5 jet streak moves atop the instability axis Sunday, but the big question will be lapse rate quality and the associated potential for ongoing leftovers from Sat muddling up things. Definitely has a large ceiling conditional wise, but we know how that can go sometimes.

12z NAM continues the theme of a good setup for IA and northern IL on Sunday. It's definitely been far more bullish than the Euro and GFS farther east so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

Thanks man. Def still some details to be worked out in regards to Sun. The meat of the H5 jet streak moves atop the instability axis Sunday, but the big question will be lapse rate quality and the associated potential for ongoing leftovers from Sat muddling up things. Definitely has a large ceiling conditional wise, but we know how that can go sometimes.

Dreaded Quad Cities split could be in the offing for Sun/Mon if the SPC outlooks are on the right track, but some model differences as has been pointed out.

Make a rational, very true statement about possible severe conditions, some idiot takes a shot at you.  Real nice.  Frankly, if you think I'm a wet blanket, you don't know wtf "wet blanket" means.

You complain/naysay every time there is a possible weather event that could affect Cedar Rapids, it's pretty well documented, just saying.

You complain/naysay every time there is a possible weather event that could affect Cedar Rapids, it's pretty well documented, just saying.

Singling me out, out of the blue, is very odd.  For every 100 negative posts on this board, 1 of them might be mine.  I can't even remember the last time I was negative toward a severe weather event.  Early spring was dry, but it has been an above average storm season so far with several nice hits(which I've mentioned in the obs threads).  Heck, cyclone has posted about storms crapping the bed, and Erie, IL getting sloppy seconds, countless times just this spring, yet I don't remember you taking shots at him.  For the record, cyclone, I have no problem at all with any of your posts.  I enjoy reading your thoughts and obs.

The post you picked to single out is quite odd as well.  It wasn't even an attempt to poop on the event.  I'm well aware there is a chance of severe weather here Sunday.  I also noticed this morning it appears there may be little if any sun, even though it should still be fairly warm.  I think the fact that a lack of insolation can affect the potency of a severe event is Met 101 and has been brought up about 1000 different times by many posters over the years.  If one of the board mets/experts thinks lack of sun won't have a big effect, or if we may get decent sun, I'd be interested in reading it.  A solid severe event around here would be exciting, so I'm not pooh-poohing anything.

Thinking the best shot for tors at this point for Sun would be over northwest Iowa/southwest MN/southeast SD.  Shear vectors away from the dryling/CF better up there, along with much better overall shear.  Instability may not be as good up in that wedge depending on a few things, but the models indicate enough for good convection.  These things always seem to slow down a bit at the last minute, so I expect to be in northeast NE at this point.  

Singling me out, out of the blue, is very odd.  For every 100 negative posts on this board, 1 of them might be mine.  I can't even remember the last time I was negative toward a severe weather event.  Early spring was dry, but it has been an above average storm season so far with several nice hits.  Heck, cyclone has posted about storms crapping the bed, and Erie, IL getting sloppy seconds, countless times just this spring, yet I don't remember you taking shots at him.  For the record, cyclone, I have no problem at all with any of your posts.  I enjoy reading your thoughts and obs.

The post you picked to single out is quite odd as well.  It wasn't even an attempt to poop on the event.  I'm well aware there is a chance of severe weather here Sunday.  I also noticed this morning it appears there may be little if any sun, even though it should still be fairly warm.  I think the fact that a lack of insolation can affect the potency of a severe event is Met 101 and has been brought up about 1000 different times by many posters over the years.  If one of the board mets/experts thinks lack of sun won't have a big effect, or if we may get decent sun, I'd be interested in reading it.  A solid severe event around here would be exciting, so I'm not pooh-poohing anything.

My apologies for sounding so harsh, it is just something I have seen in multiple threads in GL/OV over the past few years and it seemed like there wasn't much else to your original post here.

Archived