• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

So what's the statistical likelihood that the GFS is correct?

The GFS needs one of the other models to switch to its camp the next few days if you want a colder solution

since it's rarely correct when its on its own.

Absolutely. I'm not really a big fan of this particular set-up. I think the better potential is after this time period.

Once the AO drops and the blocking extends over to Greenland later in the month we'll have a 50/50

in place for more wintry precip potential here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still quite a ways off but I think we have to address the realistic possibility that their could be significant hydro concerns next weekend. 12z GFS is widespread 1-2" amounts with locally higher amounts.

honestly I doubt we get any flooding as this is not a flooding rainstorm. The snow cover will be mostly gone by the time this storm even moves in so its a long ways out plus this morning it showed a snowstorm.

honesty I doubt we get any flooding as this is not a flooding rainstorm. The snow cover will be mostly gone by the time this storm even moves in so its a long ways out plus this morning it showed a snowstorm.

Yeah for sure along the coast it's mall piles that's it. Inland though north slopes will still have allot of snow so there could be issues there. We lucked out with this week to slowly eat the snow away

honesty I doubt we get any flooding as this is not a flooding rainstorm. The snow cover will be mostly gone by the time this storm even moves in so its a long ways out plus this morning it showed a snowstorm.

Where are you located?

The hydro concerns are for northern NJ, in particular the Passaic and Raritan River systems. 

The snowpack here is deep and it will take more than a few days in the 50's to melt things here.

The rain on Tuesday will be mostly absorbed into the pack adding to the already high water content.

Long range ensemble forecasts have a 64% of the Passaic River at Pinebrook reaching minor flood stage before 4/6. The historical average for this date is around 42%. 

Where are you located?

The hydro concerns are for northern NJ, in particular the Passaic and Raritan River systems.

The snowpack here is deep and it will take more than a few days in the 50's to melt things here.

The rain on Tuesday will be mostly absorbed into the pack adding to the already high water content.

Long range ensemble forecasts have a 64% of the Passaic River at Pinebrook reaching minor flood stage before 4/6. The historical average for this date is around 42%.

Tomorrows rain will be light and it'll move out quick. Less than 0.25"... This weekend we don't even know if we're getting rain or snow at this time. Leaning towards rain as the atmosphere is warming and so it the permafrost. I still think this will end up being a mostly warm and dry spring. I doubt we get any flooding rain anytime soon! New England may have some flooding for sure as their snow pack is double the size of ours. I was out in northeastern Ct this weekend and the snow pack is closer to 2 feet up there and it's much colder than here. Right now the snowpack is taking a hit. Current temp 51 degrees. Melting quicky! Also spring is here folks. Enjoy it

Only concern is if you live in an area that floods.

No concern imby

I don't personally live in a flood area but my entire town essentially gets shut down from flooding.

Plus being on the fire department I am heavily involved with evacuations/rescues, so naturally I have a higher awareness than someone that lives up in the mountains like you.

Tomorrows rain will be light and it'll move out quick. Less than 0.25"... This weekend we don't even know if we're getting rain or snow at this time. Leaning towards rain as the atmosphere is warming and so it the permafrost. I still think this will end up being a mostly warm and dry spring. I doubt we get any flooding rain anytime soon! New England may have some flooding for sure as their snow pack is double the size of ours. I was out in northeastern Ct this weekend and the snow pack is closer to 2 feet up there and it's much colder than here. Right now the snowpack is taking a hit. Current temp 51 degrees. Melting quicky! Also spring is here folks. Enjoy it

The snowpack up here is well over a foot with little melting the last few days, and for river flooding that's not even where you look. Have to go up the headwaters near West Milford.

According to the Upton Flood Outlook issued this Friday, the snowpack currently contains 2-5" of water equivalent. 

Archived