• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

The blocking would have to arrive from the Atlantic in order for very cold relative to normal to verify.

The EPO alone does not have the same power it does in the winter months. A +PNA helps obviously but even that may not be enough to send temperatures colder than near or slightly below normal.

And if you want a late season snowstorm you really need a strong blocking pattern throughout to have the greatest odds.

I love temps in the upper 40s or 50s with some cloudy skies it feels great for a brisk stroll outdoors and you can finally open up the windows.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Did I see someone post a 45 day accuwx forecast earlier?

I assume its accurate...I was planning a barbecue on April 20th...

The blocking would have to arrive from the Atlantic in order for very cold relative to normal to verify.

The EPO alone does not have the same power it does in the winter months. A +PNA helps obviously but even that may not be enough to send temperatures colder than near or slightly below normal.

And if you want a late season snowstorm you really need a strong blocking pattern throughout to have the greatest odds.

I love temps in the upper 40s or 50s with some cloudy skies it feels great for a brisk stroll outdoors and you can finally open up the windows.

50s is PERFECT running weather.  Just absolutely perfect.  50-65 deg is the sweet spot.

I keep seeing the bolded part mentioned, so here is what it actually looks like for MAR

post-4973-0-26837700-1425832139_thumb.gi

First week here.. -11 degree temp departure.

NYC is just about to the first 50 since January 4th. It actually feels mild out there with the March sun.

We need these downslope days to overperform since the SST's are still in the 30's.

Im beginning to think you may be Steve D ;)

Ha. We've all been breaking his balls all winter but at least he's not afraid to put it all out there.

And yea I was being sarcastic about the cold being completely done.

I know well enough to know we'll probably see 1-2 more strong shots of cold air after we've all been basking to the warmth for a long period of time just to f***k with us.

The warm air doesn't become permanent until post April 15 and then of course there's the dreaded BDCF season that offers us some of the worst Spring weather you can imagine.

I mean, you've seen this right? You understand how changing wave lengths in Spring alters how things like the PNA, NAO, EPO etc affect our weather?

This is the composite for March with a positive PNA:

PNApos_03mar.png

I can't find the article again unfortunately, but if I do I'll post the link. It explains how March/spring short wavelengths change the effects of AO, PNA, EPO, NAO, etc.

NYC is just about to the first 50 since January 4th. It actually feels mild out there with the March sun.

We need these downslope days to overperform since the SST's are still in the 30's.

The wind is making it feel cold though, was just out tossing the ball to the poodle. He killed a squirrel yesterday andmy daughter is upset, so I am encouraging him to ball chase. Once tomato season gets under way, he can go after the squirrels again.

Yeah avg highs are already up near 50, so having a normal few days temp wise is gonna feel warm.

True, close to normal is all we need on March 8th with the increasing sun angle for thawing conditions.

The wind is making it feel cold though, was just out tossing the ball to the poodle. He killed a squirrel yesterday andmy daughter is upset, so I am encouraging him to ball chase. Once tomato season gets under way, he can go after the squirrels again.

My neighbor had to get the humane trappers to clear the squirrels out of his attic that were chewing the wiring.

Guest Pamela

Good trends today ...

Lot can happen in 132 hours...though the anticyclone is in a *really* bad spot (near George's Bank). 

Lot can happen in 132 hours...though the anticyclone is in a *really* bad spot (near George's Bank).

Once to day 10 the following 5 days park the trough in the east and stick under the block.

It is how you snow in March with shorter wavelengths .

The departures from normal will easily show up In what should be a 10 day period of 10 below.

Getting it to snow will be the trick but I definitely see the colder than normal coming back.

I will let others bet if any or how much snow fall

If the last 10 days are what I think they are March should have no problem finishing below normal

Guest Pamela

If the last 10 days are what I think they are March should have no problem finishing below normal

It about 100% likely the month finishes below normal throughout the NYC area...25% of the month is in the rear view mirror and you already are looking at -10 DFN's.  Finishing above normal would be like trying to win the election after you lost Texas, New York, Florida, & California...very close to a mathematical impossibility. 

She can stay afloat with the first four compartments breached...but not five.  From this point forth, Titanic will founder.

But this ship can't sink...

She's made of iron sir...she can & she will.  It is a mathematical certainty. 

Once to day 10 the following 5 days park the trough in the east and stick under the block.

It is how you snow in March with shorter wavelengths .

The departures from normal will easily show up In what should be a 10 day period of 10 below.

Getting it to snow will be the trick but I definitely see the colder than normal coming back.

I will let others bet if any or how much snow fall

One of the top ten later March 500 mb analogs today shows how it could happen if we get lucky.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1992/us0319.php

One of the top ten later March 500 mb analogs today shows how it could happen if we get lucky.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1992/us0319.php

Whenever you shorten the wave lengths and stick the trough under blocking you are inviting trouble.

It is just what the atmosphere sometimes does.

The models are hinting at blocking by 10. Both ensembles see it . " if " it happens then you are going go wild.

The sun may be close to OCT but temps are NOV like

But with cold water .

The Atlantic is what could lock this off for 2 weeks and put spring on hold until April 1

Archived