Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything is "possible". But a 2 foot + spring blizzard in nyc in the closing days of March with no -NAO or -AO and even if you had that? Lol let's just say I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on it to say the least

There have only been 2 24 inch or greater snowstorms and only 6 20 inch or greater snowstorms in 150 years at KNYC. That will show you how rare something like that is .

Add late March into the mix and you can see how extreme that solution is .

There should be a storm on the EC by day 10 and its possible there is one more accumulating snow here , but I doubt anyone buys that solution . We will have to get closer to see if the surface responds to that look at 500 .

A week ago we said the 500 MB looked great aloft and ultimately the surface responded . We are in the same spot once again.

There have only been 2 24 inch or greater snowstorms and only 6 20 inch or greater snowstorms in 150 years at KNYC. That will show you how rare something like that is .

Add late March into the mix and you can see how extreme that solution is .

There should be a storm on the EC by day 10 and its possible there is one more accumulating snow here , but I doubt anyone buys that solution . We will have to get closer to see if the surface responds to that look at 500 .

A week ago we said the 500 MB looked great aloft and ultimately the surface responded . We are in the same spot once again.

I think the biggest difference is we are losing the blocking.  The AO and NAO are both now progged to go sharply positive.

I think the biggest difference is we are losing the blocking.  The AO and NAO are both now progged to go sharply positive.

The way we may get an EC storm is as the PNA amplifies by day 10 , ( seen by all 3 ensembles ) you may see a full latitude trough dig into the east.

When you get those kind of height rises on the WC , you should see big height falls on the EC , so any system that comes out of the S should run the EC .

The only way it's a big system is if it deepens on its way up the EC on the arctic front that will swing through a day or 2 before.

Without blocking you lose the mechanism to slow it down but you could make it up if it deepens rapidly.

You also hurt the ability to keep the cold air on the coastal plain , so you would have to depend on dynamic cooling for it to work .

I will admit there are a whole lot of " ifs " in this , but deep negatives like that usually produce LP .

I love the look at 500 what that will or will not transfer to remains to be seen.

The way we may get an EC storm is as the PNA amplifies by day 10 , ( seen by all 3 ensembles ) you may see a full latitude trough dig into the east.

When you get those kind of height rises on the WC , you should see big height falls on the EC , so any system that comes out of the S should run the EC .

The only way it's a big system is if it deepens on its way up the EC on the arctic front that will swing through a day or 2 before.

Without blocking you lose the mechanism to slow it down but you could make it up if it deepens rapidly.

You also hurt the ability to keep the cold air on the coastal plain , so you would have to depend on dynamic cooling for it to work .

I will admit there are a whole lot of " ifs " in this , but deep negatives like that usually produce LP .

I love the look at 500 what that will or will not transfer to remains to be seen.

I think for the coastal plain you have to be happy to be just in the game at this point in the season.  It's approaching 16 seed vs 1 seed territory.

Blocking and indices have less relevance this late. Short wavelengths can spin up just about anything regardless of the NAO or AO. Nino winters are typically back-loaded, and the STJ is finally kicking in-this storm was raining on us down in Texas from a cutoff low in Mexico a couple of days ago. 

Blocking and indices have less relevance this late. Short wavelengths can spin up just about anything regardless of the NAO or AO. Nino winters are typically back-loaded, and the STJ is finally kicking in-this storm was raining on us down in Texas from a cutoff low in Mexico a couple of days ago. 

Cold air will be fleeting though.

Day 7 looks colder than today . That arctic wave will come through on Friday and will cool the BL down. ( Similar to post SB storm last Feb and the March 6 set up ) Modeled to snow through minus 8 air , Today we snowed through minus 2 to minus 4 .

It always is, but when you catch it with some moisture, the added baroclinicity can make for a nice event (see today, where a late developing coastal clearly aided totals-the radar definitely hung back over the area and snow showers are expected all night). April 2003 was a similar situation, as was I'm sure April 82. 

Also, yet another event where wind direction wasn't optimal for the coast yet there were nice amounts everywhere. Winds were essentially E and ENE all day but it didn't seem to matter. Colder than average ocean FTW. 

Archived