• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE/Oak Hill Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

4.5 inches in the yard here in NW Chesco. Tried to shovel out the fire pit last evening. A couple inches of rock hard ice under the snow means a fire tomorrow night not looking too likely unless the

rain really does its work.

You could build the fire on top of the ice, did that here back in January and it worked out pretty well. The snow on the ground 3 or 4 feet from the edge of the fire didn't even melt. Put some bricks or thick branches down to create some separation...all depends on how much you really want to do it!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time last year we were looking at 2 more accumulating snow events yet to come.  I realize that northern folks missed out, but if it wants to get cold again next week, I say let it snow.  I think i got almost 8" last St Paddy's Day.  Overall, i was pleased with this late blooming winter.  Got to snowboard 10 days as well.

I was looking at pics from a year ago (March 11th) and comparing to now. Both years we came into March with a snowpack, obviously not as much this year, but it did get added to nicely last week. Even with the relentless onslaught this week (heat and rain) it compares decently with a year ago, in the shaded areas, likely due to the exceptional cold. So then I looked at the next batch of pics from 3/17/14, and saw all the snow (we had almost 4" here), it looked like winter all over again. Even with that, the last trace of snow disappeared from the back yard on 3/23/14, and the snow pile said goodbye on 3/30/14. With just a little help I think those dates could be approached this year, but this weekend will be challenging, with the rain.

All that to say that like you I'd be happy with another snowfall, but I've also gotten a touch of spring fever the last couple of days. Classic March syndrome...

dude...what the heck's up with the winds today.   Overall not too strong, but awkward bursts that seem to come outta nowhere.

just checked out MPO :

12:53 PM WNW 25.3 mph 47.2 mph 0.00 in   Overcast

1:53 PM NW 29.9 mph 46.0 mph 0.00 in Snow Light Snow

2:05 PM NW 27.6 mph 41.4 mph 0.00 in Snow Light Snow

(pain in the butt woodpeckers aren't helping the cause...hole visible near the trunk)

post-9750-0-76371500-1426443332_thumb.jp

lol, no, letting it ride, or melt. I used it that one day but I also would rather see the snow than a tarp. I do however have a backup/test snow pile this year that's in a more shaded area. We'll see which one lasts longer. The one I usually post pics of is in full sun on a south facing slope. My son actually dug a hole into it the other day and made a little snow cave (I thought of Redsky :-)).

The snow cave would have been priceless! :thumbsup:

I saw last night that Boston got 2.9" and officially broke their '95-'96 record. 

Areas of ice and hard pack snow in the yard.   Ground is bare at the stake.    Let's replenish!

High was 61.3 today in NW Chesco.    Down to 40.1.

I agree, replenishment would be nice. Here the 10 day spring preview and rain events were just what it took to remove all traces of snow from mby, with the exception of one shaded patch about 10' x 20' which looks like ice mostly, and of course the snow piles are troopers, but this cool weather is coming just in time. I think it's mostly due to the extreme extended cold we had, but I am impressed with the fact that here at least the snow pile and snow pack diminishment is not all that far ahead of last March.

Archived