• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Late Winter/Early Spring 2015

Seeing as I'm out of town, the hit was bound to happen.  The weather just knows when I'm not around haha.  That said, the NAM is probably too wet; it almost always is.  Gave me 10"+ of snow for that slop-fest two weekends ago where we got 3" and rain.

This is a very peculiar storm, though, so honestly who knows where the narrow band of snow is going to end up north or south.  I'm inclined to blend the GFS/GGEM/CMC with some Euro sprinkles.  Anecdotally it seems as though the GFS has been the best model in this weird pattern.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From latest NWS outlook:

A TRANSITION TO SNOW WILL OCCUR WITH THE ENCROACHMENT OF THE COLD
FRONT ON WEDNESDAY. ANY SNOW THAT FALLS THROUGH THE DAY SHOULD BE
LIMITED BY INEFFICIENT WITH SNOW RATIOS AND LITTLE ACCUMULATION IS
EXPECTED INTO THE EVENING.

THE WINTER STORM WATCH FOR WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY HAS BEEN
CONTINUED FOR AREAS ROUGHLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF A ZANESVILLE TO
INDIANA LINE...BUT THE NORTHWARD EXTENT OF DEEPER MOISTURE AND
ASCENT BEHIND THE WAVE SLOWED FRONTAL ZONE IS CERTAINLY QUESTIONABLE
AND AN ADDITIONAL SET OF MODEL RUNS WILL BE NECESSARY FOR BETTER
RESOLUTION.

I already knew north of the city was going to be a miss, but hopefully south of Pittsburgh can cash in with 6+ inches... That sharp cutoff is worrying on the models though. It's not going to take much for this to be a miss, at least for Allegheny county..

10 products issued by NWS for: Pittsburgh PA

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA924 PM EST TUE MAR 3 2015MDZ001-OHZ057>059-068-069-PAZ021-023-029-031-073>076-WVZ002>004-012-021>023-041-041030-/O.CON.KPBZ.WS.A.0006.150304T2100Z-150305T2100Z/GARRETT-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-ALLEGHENY-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-MONONGALIA-PRESTON-TUCKER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...WAYNESBURG...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...UNIONTOWN...CHAMPION...OHIOPYLE...BETHANY...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE...NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN...KINGWOOD...PARSONS924 PM EST TUE MAR 3 2015...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONTHROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON...* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO 6 INCHES. UP TO 8 INCHES IN THE  HIGHER ELEVATIONS.* SNOW BEGINNING...LATE AFTERNOON WEDNESDAY.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY  MORNING.* SNOW ENDING...THURSDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW  ACCUMULATION.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THAT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICEACCUMULATION MAY SEVERELY IMPACT TRAVEL. PREPARE FOR WINTERWEATHER AND MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS VIA THE NATIONAL WEATHERSERVICE HOMEPAGE NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR OTHER NEWS MEDIA.&&

They weren't supposed to go this high. This typically happens ahead of fronts though. They underestimate the southerly flow ahead of the front.

That water laden snow pack is really holding on despite the near 50 degree and pouring rain. The frozen ground is probably helping though. Even places in my yard that we rolled snow balls and only had about an inch on it are still covered. I expect some bare spots tomorrow morning, but if we still have a coating of snow and we switch to snow early even if the surface temps are above freezing its going to start piling up again.

Wow just go outside and feel how warm it "feels". Usually in october we would be saying its chilly. Anyway this making me want spring more and more. Anyway congrats to our southern friends and hopefully more of our subforum can get a good hit.

Wow, its starting to stick to the roads already.  My driveway is all white. Props to the short term models so far.

I was surprised, woke up to a fresh quarter inch of slush. Roads were covered, had to brush the car off. By the time I got into Greensburg though it was mainly just rain, so I'm guessing the front hasn't made it all the way through here yet.

Hopefully the Euro scores a coup for once this winter.

I was surprised, woke up to a fresh quarter inch of slush. Roads were covered, had to brush the car off. By the time I got into Greensburg though it was mainly just rain, so I'm guessing the front hasn't made it all the way through here yet.

Hopefully the Euro scores a coup for once this winter.

Seemed like once sunrise came, it turned briefly back to rain.  Back to snow now.  I am setting my expectations at 3 inches.  EURO hasn't brought me any confidence this year.  

What r u talking about it takes time to switch over I'm at 33 still. And the moisture is from pa down to Texas. So it's gonna snow for 30 more hrs.

So naive. The front is gonna sag the moisture south. HRR and RUC already blew it with the false wave this morning.

Archived