Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Late Winter/Early Spring 2015

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bust potential with this but also huge upside still too.  Latest plumes show one with 25 inches and another over 15 inches.. Not that one should take the high plumes seriously, but just used to show such a spread still so close to the event.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150303&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=PIT&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.40474483300283&mLON=-80.07807644411957&mTYP=roadmap

Bust potential with this but also huge upside still too.  Latest plumes show one with 25 inches and another over 15 inches.. Not that one should take the high plumes seriously, but just used to show such a spread still so close to the event.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150303&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=PIT&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.40474483300283&mLON=-80.07807644411957&mTYP=roadmap[/quot

Nice. I think evreyone happy with 5-12. Any were in there happy.

I'm expecting a NAM \ GFS compromise, so I expect to see the NAM slowly come down from those ridiculous high totals and also shift a bit SE but also think the GFS should continue to tick NW. Euro is actually a pretty reasonable compromise between the 2. I think we would all take that and be happy. If this storm does happen it will also be nice to know we are getting colder as the storm progresses rather than worrying about a warm up and flip to rain.

I'm expecting a NAM \ GFS compromise, so I expect to see the NAM slowly come down from those ridiculous high totals and also shift a bit SE but also think the GFS should continue to tick NW. Euro is actually a pretty reasonable compromise between the 2. I think we would all take that and be happy. If this storm does happen it will also be nice to know we are getting colder as the storm progresses rather than worrying about a warm up and flip to rain.

Agreed. It is only one model but this next 10 minutes of the NAM should tell us where we are going. If it can just hold serve we will all be happy. I'll take a fringe of 4 inches or so and no 1-2.

The NAM is ticking south, and the GFS is still south. I am not liking what I am seeing, to be honest.

NAM has been the northern outlier the entire time.  It is just coming more in line with the other guidance.  The GFS has actually trended better for our area over the last day.  We will find out shortly with the 12z though.

Further south trends expected....

Our favorite player in these winter storms, another SW US psuedo-cutoff near Baja is not opening up into a wave as fast as expected (normal model bias I've talked about). Because it's slower to open, its slower to turn into the "cork" and join the southern stream. This energy is what forms the surface wave which rides the boundary. Since it's a little later, this allows the preamble, i.e., the cold air (and the boundry) to sag 30 miles or so further south this run. Until this opens up, the potential for this trend continues on later runs. ST

What's thunderhead thinking for this storm???he might be waiting to see all 12 z suits

It's still early, imo - forecasts made this evening will matter much more to the public.  Just viewed the 0z Euro, and to me it's showing a light snow event for PIT during Wed. afternoon-evening.  Strongest signal for heavy snow/banding is over WV just south of the PA border (i.e. PKB, MGW) attm.  

Caution reading QPF maps if you're in a tight gradient zone.  I would go lower than what it shows for your town if you're in a tight gradient.

Archived