joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see this being yet another frustrating event to track.  Will the cold air push south and east fast enough before the precip arrives?  Would be nice to see the 1000-500mb thickness line end up further south and east at that time period over the next few runs but not so far south and east that precip ends up that way too.

Looking at NAM/RGEM I'm thinking we get pretty icy up this way tomorrow, thinking we hold onto cold air quite awhile. GFS wants to go much drier than the others with the initial slug of precipitation, being the main difference.

As for the second wave, I'm considering it a fool's errand to track it up here, thinking LSV has a good shot at accumulating snows though.

Models are coming around to a nice substantial snowfall for the LSV. Just checked the bufkit for KMDT after the switch on the GFS. Looks pretty good to me. Even more qpf to work with as well the further south and east you go toward KTHV and KLNS.

I'm confused - is this for tomorrow night or Thursday?

These two systems I have entirely confused in my head. It being close to 50 Wednesday isn't helping!

You're pretty much right on Sauss!! Hoping Cumberland Cty. sets up as the big winner in this deal for you and Carlisle!!

Why, thank you Wmsptwx.  How nice of you to think of me down here.  Still hoping to hit or break through the 4" mark before the end of the season. 

Only had 1.8" total here yesterday along with some sleet and about 0.02" of freezing rain which was just barely enough to glaze over the snow, preventing it from blowing around today.

EURO for round 1:

30 - QPF into western half

33 - 0.1-0.25 UNV, IPT, 850 through UNV, near MDT, 32 SE  of all

36 - 0.1-0.25 for all except far southern areas, 850 near AVP, 32 still mostly SE

39 - Same precip, 850 out of PA, 32 UNV-MDT

42 - 0.1-0.25 west of UNV, 0.01-0.1 everyone else. 32 into far NEPA

45 - 850 line coming back in from the NW, same precip

Round 2:

60 - 0.1-0.25 UNV SW, 850 MDT through just south of Voyager land, 32 UNV-IPT

63 - 0.1-0.25 I80-S, 850 pushing east of MDT, 32 east of UNV, headed to AVP, NW of MDT still

66 - 0.25-0.5 into LSV, 0.1-0.25 for everyone else, 850 cleared, 32 east of MDT, only SEPA still >32

69 - 0.25-0.5 line middle of PA/MD border, stays mostly in SE part of state. 0.1-0.25 for mostly all. 32 line clear

72 - 0.1-0.25 pushed south of UNV, still runs into some of true central, more coverage in NEPA

75 - 0.1-0.25 hanging in southern portions, everyone else 0.01-0.1

78 - Same

81 - Pushing out, some 0.01-0.1 hangs on in 81 corridor

Tomorrow looks like it starts as something frozen, then goes to rain .........but don't listen to me :axe:

I think the NAM is on the extreme in terms of how warm aloft it gets but I do think we see mostly rain Tuesday into Wednesday before the cold air approaches

Some of the GEFS members are pushing 3" for this entire storm.  Could be a wild rain to paste bomb storm.  Impressive Cold Air Advection with this storm.

I am not so sure surface temps crash as quickly as models have them for around early Thursday morning but yea those temps crashing aloft could create rates heavy enough it won't matter if surface temps start out in mid 30s to accumulate and continue to drop below freezing mark.

I'm confused - is this for tomorrow night or Thursday?

These two systems I have entirely confused in my head. It being close to 50 Wednesday isn't helping!

This is for Thursday. I wish the picture was a little bigger. In the bottom right hand corner of the bufkit profile, it gives you the time stamp of date and time. This would be 9z Thursday, which is 4am.

So basically, here are your 12z summaries regarding Thursday:

NAM: Trended SE but still a heavy snowfall for all, changeover may be a little later in LSV

GFS: Furthest southeast, big event for LSV, not much 80N

GEFS: Majority with a nice event for all

GGEM: Solid LSV hit, more moderate along 80

UKMET: Solid hit for all

ECM: A bit so-so, good for LSV,  light-moderate north

Archived