SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS tends to overforecast mixing across the interior in the situations. But yes, I generally agree that the wind could be the biggest story with this storm for many areas.

I just figured the SNE mets would be talking about it. It's actually stronger over the interior tun the coast for a time. But they haven't even mentioned it

I just figured the SNE mets would be talking about it. It's actually stronger over the interior tun the coast for a time. But they haven't even mentioned it

I think because many are just trying to figure out how this will all play out. Seems like G 50-60 possible even inland..but IMO..it would be better to get mixing from the sun. I'm not sure that will happen.

My Winter Weather Outlook for Southern New England, including the states of MA, RI and CT:

Blizzard Watches up for coastal MA, Winter Storm Watches out for areas west of the Blizzard Watch.

Winds will be very dangerous: gusts could reach 80mph along the coastline, especially Cape Ann and Cape Cod including Nantucket

Blowing and drifting snows will make visibilities drop below and half mile

Falling snow rates could reach 1-2, maybe 3"/hour in convective banding

Temperatures will fall through the teens to the coastline with single digits likely in the interior and northern parts of MA in the afternoon of Sunday.

Synoptic scale picture relays a potential intense upper level low pinwheeling throughout the region and to the south of the South Coast of SNE.  This puts SNE in the bullseye for potential epic snowfall amounts for a duration of 24 hours.  There are limiting factors to the potential overall ferocity of this blizzard, 1.) duration, 2.) potential intensification is too late to impact CT and dump heavy snowfall amounts over SNE.  The intensification of the surface low occurs northeast of CHH, instead of south of ACK.  This is a big deal towards where the comma head develops and dumps on the region.  However models including the 18z suite favors a further southwest track of the upper level low favoring more snowfall in SNE, however the American models are still further north than the EURO at 12z this afternoon's run.  So right now amounts of up to 18" would be found from Downeast ME to Boston, MA with 12"+ amounts from Boston, MA to Cape Cod, MA and 6"+ amounts west of ORH and 3" amounts the further northwest one travels and the further south one travels where there may be a rain/snow line for ACK.  ACK amounts could reach 8".

The current BOX thinking seems reasonable, Winter Storm Watches will likely go further SW if trends continue, but I don't think expanding Blizzard Watches west in MA is necessary (don't think vis. requirements will be met in interior SNE). Also I don't see much more than a foot in BOS proper without this getting going sooner/more digging than currently depicted

My Winter Weather Outlook for Southern New England, including the states of MA, RI and CT:

Blizzard Watches up for coastal MA, Winter Storm Watches out for areas west of the Blizzard Watch.

Winds will be very dangerous: gusts could reach 80mph along the coastline, especially Cape Ann and Cape Cod including Nantucket

Blowing and drifting snows will make visibilities drop below and half mile

Falling snow rates could reach 1-2, maybe 3"/hour in convective banding

Temperatures will fall through the teens to the coastline with single digits likely in the interior and northern parts of MA in the afternoon of Sunday.

Synoptic scale picture relays a potential intense upper level low pinwheeling throughout the region and to the south of the South Coast of SNE.  This puts SNE in the bullseye for potential epic snowfall amounts for a duration of 24 hours.  There are limiting factors to the potential overall ferocity of this blizzard, 1.) duration, 2.) potential intensification is too late to impact CT and dump heavy snowfall amounts over SNE.  The intensification of the surface low occurs northeast of CHH, instead of south of ACK.  This is a big deal towards where the comma head develops and dumps on the region.  However models including the 18z suite favors a further southwest track of the upper level low favoring more snowfall in SNE, however the American models are still further north than the EURO at 12z this afternoon's run.  So right now amounts of up to 18" would be found from Downeast ME to Boston, MA with 12"+ amounts from Boston, MA to Cape Cod, MA and 6"+ amounts west of ORH and 3" amounts the further northwest one travels and the further south one travels where there may be a rain/snow line for ACK.  ACK amounts could reach 8".

Not bad James.

Apparently this is the Only time we had a Sub-500 ULL in these parts.  January 31st, 1966.  

attachicon.gifJanuary 31st, 1966 ULL Bottom.jpg

That was the Blizzard of '66. It buried upstate NY in several feet of snow and paralyzed the region for a week. Between synoptic and lake effect Oswego received 103 inches of snow. Syracuse got 42.3 inches.

Archived