joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw you, LOL. That's back when I still watched TWC and they always talked about Worcester getting smacked and I used to think "Man I wish I was in Worcester now":)

Now you can see why I complain when we get shafted repeatedly. When you're used to gold, you don't settle for bronze. And that too my neighborhood was east facing on a slope, maximizing orographic lift. What appeared as more snow in our neighborhood compared to the surroundings was not all illusion I believe. Only a couple of times I remember Worcester getting the shaft when an ocean storm slammed the cape, but it was mostly the Cape getting rain and us getting snow with the r/s line sometimes 10 miles away. Ah, it felt so good to smell heavy rain while drowning under heavy snow! :D

Managed a low of 3.4 degrees this morning once the sky cleared, I bet we would have been below zero again if there was a few more hours of that.

Spent the morning at Constitution Marsh, Indian Brook Falls, and Little Stony Point. Beautiful out there. I posted several pictures in the picture thread if anyone wants to take a look. Indian Brook Falls was almost completely frozen.  

There's 3 separate posts, this is the first.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44993-winter-2014-15-official-picture-thread/?p=3449643

Impressive storm in the southeast tonight. It's too bad we couldn't cash in. Tornadoes and thundersnow have been reported and the short term models are showing a crush job in areas along the NC/VA border with 12-15"+ of snow.

It's always a little disconcerting when the low elevations of North Carolina finish the season with a greater 24-h snowfall event than we do. On the bright side the season isn't anywhere close to over, maybe we'll catch a good coastal one of these days.

Did you guys see the pictures of the slushy waves from Nantucket? I posted the article in the banter thread. So cool.

So I just checked my low from this morning, it was -1, so I have now surpassed last years days below zero total.

It was definitely a sneaky cold morning. I had a feeling we may clear out and the temps would plummet if/when that happened. 

It's always a little disconcerting when the low elevations of North Carolina finish the season with a greater 24-h snowfall event than we do. On the bright side the season isn't anywhere close to over, maybe we'll catch a good coastal one of these days.

Very true. Maybe it's false hope, but I think a lot of us here in the great NW think our biggest storm will happen in the next 2 weeks or so. I guess that's not too much of a stretch considering 9-12" is the high water mark for most of us. My highest storm total this season is 10". I guess we more than conquered the cold, so let's do the same for snow.

looks about done.

1.7 inches of new snow.

Not bad when I was expecting nothing today.

I don't see you cursing out Mt. Holly when the bust is in your favor. ;) All in good fun... congrats on the mini-jack. If you squint your eyes and sandpaper the bottom of the ruler, you could claim 0.2" imby, lol.

Haven't been online much the past couple days, but from what little I've read while on mobile, looks like winter cancel in the mid-range?

I don't see you cursing out Mt. Holly when the bust is in your favor. ;) All in good fun... congrats on the mini-jack. If you squint your eyes and sandpaper the bottom of the ruler, you could claim 0.2" imby, lol.

Haven't been online much the past couple days, but from what little I've read while on mobile, looks like winter cancel in the mid-range?

Ha...I have made peace with Mt Holly.

Really ready for spring weather at this point. Figure the first 50 & 60 degrees days cant be to far out of the range going 20 days.

Last spring & summer was a dud for severe storms in my area.

Hoping for a better t storm season.

Certain people around this subforum cancel winter on a daily basis now that March is within sight. Haven't looked at models in past 2-3 days, but saw a tweet from HM that today's weeklies reinforced the notion of a continued -EPO with a reestablishment of the +PNA.

Edit: Just took a glance at the last 2 OP Euro runs and I can't believe no one mentioned the 00z run last night! Widespread 15"+ of snow for all of us. 12z was more conservative, more along the lines of the GFS, but still snowy. Looks like some rain may be on the way for next week too though.

Gorgeous night out there with clear, starry skies and moderate temperatures. Spent more than an hour skating/playing hockey on my rink. Have to spend as much time as I can out there because it's days are definitely numbered. Last year, I had my final skate on the morning of St. Patrick's Day, but I'm not sure it'll make it that far this year. I did open it 2 weeks earlier than last year, so in the end, it should even out.

Archived