• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Personally, I'm loving this winter. I've already said it's like an A- winter for me. It's just lacking a "biggie" in terms of a snowfall. But I love the cold and the snow pack that we've built. I actually would grade this winter above last year. I think a lot of what others might be frustrated about has more to do with expectations. This is at least the fourth storm this year that we will end up with significantly less than what was forecast or what the models were showing. If I'm expecting two inches of snow and get four, it may feel a lot different than if I'm expecting ten inches of snow and get four. 

In future years I will look back and rate this winter as an A- because of historic cold, long term snow cover and a winter that performed in November for once, but for now the model busts sting i haven't been through such things since the 80's when I only had a NOAA cube radio.  The storm fails will fade from memory and we will still be talking about this winters cold 20 years or more from now.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

must be some sort of elevation snow. radar does not look all that great.

really feel terrible, i gave mt holly nws a lip earlier. lol when I called in my 2.5 inches.

Elevation can do some awesome stuff. Didn't you mention you moved their on purpose? That's gotta be one of the better snow spots reasonably close to the city. I wonder what you got in the 97 April paste bomb

Well those were some interesting pages to read...definitely another less than anticipated snowfall here but I've had enough experiences in my life to realize that a bust on the low side in snowfall isn't going to get me to stomp my feet. I could see how one could go the other way though and use the weather as an outlet for their emotions. That's not me though, I'm not going to freak out over something no one has any control over, not even the NWS.

I agree with many of the thoughts already shared, the models have been horrible. In just a few days we went from panic by one over 50 degrees and the entire snowpack being washed away by inches of rain causing deadly and destructive flooding to a light/moderate for some, snowfall in the 20s. This swing in events causes me to further wonder why folks get into arguments for days and days over what a model run shows...what's the point of that?!

The point brought up by West is an interesting one about old school forecasting and I happen to agree with it. What doesn't help forecasting during a time of 'model madness' is hugging each run. We see it everyday here as weenies lean on a pbp of each and every model run and demand to see snow maps ASAP. What a joke. Many would think that with so many models being fine tuned on a regular basis that the forecasts overall would be improving, and they are, but it's still not an exact science. With the various models available it reminds me of the old saying "a man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure".

I also agree that it would be nice to get at least one double digit snowfall but it's been one heck of a winter. Long lasting snowpack, long lasting bitter cold, just deep deep winter. While we are approaching March, yes, the seasonal change is bound to happen at some point, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards anytime soon. When spring does arrive I plan to enjoy drinking beer while listening to music in my yard just as much as I'm enjoying looking at this deep snowpack each day. What was JBs old saying..."enjoy the weather now, it's the only weather you've got"?

JC, this is the best thing I've read on here in a long time.

"the goal of a meteorologist is to foretell to within mere miles the state of 5,150,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of air, rotating at 1,000 mph, being heated (unevenly and haphazardly) by an unfathomably immense ball of fire that fuses 620,000,000 tons of hydrogen per second, and being constantly distorted, contorted, dried out, moistened, cooled, elevated, compressed, and shredded by vast expanses of land, sea, and coast that all meet and divorce without rhyme or reason. We got 2 or 3" of snow instead of 4" or 5". Meh"

Its all about location and luck. For me this one was an overperformer. It never tainted, snowed for over 12 hours and left at least 8". If that gaping snowhole hadn't run right over us this would have been well over a foot when the forecast never went higher than 4-6".

Next.

Good for you Buddy! I'll get out there once I'm motivated to measure, Im watching the last part of Patton, I gotta finish it. Looks like maybe 2" or so here.

Archived