joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Many have crappy stations and it does make a difference.

It's hard to properly shield from the sun.  I spent $50 on a solar radiation shield  and it helped, but it still isn't enough.  I can see the temp spike pretty high on a sunny day and fall a few degrees very quickly when there are a few gusts of wind, then rise again.  If its cloudy or windy I think its pretty accurate, but I don't have much faith in my daily high temp records.

Today's max here was 41.5, which seems reasonable to me (ISP 10 miles SE from here was 42).  On the other hand, some of the nearby PWS did not hit 40 today, so it may still be a little high.  The worst is in the spring (April - June).

I did notice PWS scattered all over the place (not just LHV / OC) with some crazy 50's temps, but they were surrounded by many stations reading about 15 degrees lower.

It's hard to properly shield from the sun. I spent $50 on a solar radiation shield and it helped, but it still isn't enough. I can see the temp spike pretty high on a sunny day and fall a few degrees very quickly when there are a few gusts of wind, then rise again. If its cloudy or windy I think its pretty accurate, but I don't have much faith in my daily high temp records.

Today's max here was 41.5, which seems reasonable to me (ISP 10 miles SE from here was 42). On the other hand, some of the nearby PWS did not hit 40 today, so it may still be a little high. The worst is in the spring (April - June).

I did notice PWS scattered all over the place (not just LHV / OC) with some crazy 50's temps, but they were surrounded by many stations reading about 15 degrees lower.

Honestly, even a 'good' weather station can have these issues. I have a Davis Vantage Vue now and there's no doubt it runs high when the sun is out. That's the only issue I've found with the Vue. I didn't have this issue with my old Davis Weather Monitor II. I'd like to go for the Davis Vantage Pro with the fan but can't justify the expense when I live so close to KMGJ. Some day I'll breakdown and go for it.

KPOU is still on track to have its coldest February ever (15.5F running average; current record is 17.3F in 1979). As of the 21st, this has also been the station's second coldest month ever, behind January 1970 (14.3F) and ahead of January 1981 (15.9F). Not including this year, only two of the top-ten coldest months ever were Februaries, with one December, and seven Januaries.

16 degrees this morning. NWS forecasts temperatures continuing to fall through the day, though the models suggest a slight rise into early this afternoon. Regardless, it looks like we should have a pretty good chance of going below zero before midnight to pad those numbers some more.

Well if we do go below zero before midnight, I would tie last years below zero days number and then surpass it rather quickly :)

KPOU is still on track to have its coldest February ever (15.5F running average; current record is 17.3F in 1979). As of the 21st, this has also been the station's second coldest month ever, behind January 1970 (14.3F) and ahead of January 1981 (15.9F). Not including this year, only two of the top-ten coldest months ever were Februaries, with one December, and seven Januaries.

That 42 degree high yesterday hurt us a little, but when all is said and done, it looks like we should easily beat 1979. It's too bad the station is missing those years, it almost feels like there should be an asterisk attached.

That 42 degree high yesterday hurt us a little, but when all is said and done, it looks like we should easily beat 1979. It's too bad the station is missing those years, it almost feels like there should be an asterisk attached.

Yeah, the KPOU records certainly leave much to be desired, but they seem like our best option. We did put up a +3.5F departure yesterday, making it the warmest day relative to average since January 24.

Hopefully we can snag ourselves a storm at some point so we won't have to talk temps until the equinox...

Yeah, the KPOU records certainly leave much to be desired, but they seem like our best option. We did put up a +3.5F departure yesterday, making it the warmest day relative to average since January 24.

Hopefully we can snag ourselves a storm at some point so we won't have to talk temps until the equinox...

Have you guys looked at the COOP reports before?  I find it useful, and entertaining at times.  The downside is that not every station is consistent and you have to dig through the monthly summaries for the info.  

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html;jsessionid=589E9F3B979F21FCC86138CE9973062E?foreign=false&_page=0&jsessionid=589E9F3B979F21FCC86138CE9973062E&state=NY&_target1=Next+%3E

Have you guys looked at the COOP reports before?  I find it useful, and entertaining at times.  The downside is that not every station is consistent and you have to dig through the monthly summaries for the info.  

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html;jsessionid=589E9F3B979F21FCC86138CE9973062E?foreign=false&_page=0&jsessionid=589E9F3B979F21FCC86138CE9973062E&state=NY&_target1=Next+%3E

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! I had been meaning to look for that data after seeing it mentioned, but I hadn't had a chance yet. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Noticed that NWS has a low of -3 tonight on my point and click. I think that's going to bust on the high side, possibly by several degrees. 

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! I had been meaning to look for that data after seeing it mentioned, but I hadn't had a chance yet. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Noticed that NWS has a low of -3 tonight on my point and click. I think that's going to bust on the high side, possibly by several degrees. 

That link I sent is just for New York, I find it fun sometimes to look up reports from other states as well, mainly to check out snow depth reports from back in the day  :sled:

That link I sent is just for New York, I find it fun sometimes to look up reports from other states as well, mainly to check out snow depth reports from back in the day  :sled:

You should try to find David Ludlum's "Early American Winters" books if you haven't already. Perfect reading material to get you through the warm season or even some of the more uninspiring periods of winter.

You should try to find David Ludlum's "Early American Winters" books if you haven't already. Perfect reading material to get you through the warm season or even some of the more uninspiring periods of winter.

I'll have to look for those.  I find this to be good reading material too: http://www.ohcroo.com/winter_of_1969.cfm

If anything the departures have increased since the 19th...

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-460-0-30087900-1424715951.png

Looks very frigid for this Feb...12 to -15 below average is very cold to be happening in the winter months. Was the 1979 record that this month is close to in terms of average temps the all time coldest or the second?

If anything the departures have increased since the 19th..

Oh yeah, for sure, I was just pointing out that the 42 degree reading yesterday increased the average temp by a bit, that's all.

Temperatures did in fact rise today, currently 22 at KPOU, despite a forecast for temperatures falling through the day and into the single numbers by early evening. Late February sun ftw?

Big snow hole over our region on the 12z Euro. Funny to see everyone punting winter now, how much do you want to bet that they will be the same people clamoring for snow the moment a big storm is on the horizon?

Anyhow, looks like we should be able to catch up on some lost sleep over the next week. I loaded a couple books to my Kindle since I'll have so much free time  :sleepy:

Looks very frigid for this Feb...12 to -15 below average is very cold to be happening in the winter months. Was the 1979 record that this month is close to in terms of average temps the all time coldest or the second?

February 1979 was the coldest February at most interior stations. Feb 2015 is running colder than 1979 just about everywhere, by as much as 2.6F at KGFL, for instance.

Temperatures did in fact rise today, currently 22 at KPOU, despite a forecast for temperatures falling through the day and into the single numbers by early evening. Late February sun ftw?

Yeah, the sun is a force to be reckoned with this time of year. Fine by me; I'll gladly endure a slight warm bust in the daytime if it means the sky remains nice and clear the next night.

Albany updated my point and click to a low of -9 which I figured was going to happen. -3 was just way too high given the airmass and ideal conditions expected tonight  :shiver: . My current low for the winter is -13. Not sure if I make it that far but I think -10 is certainly a reasonable goal.

Saw your post in the other thread Julian and I will be rooting you on for a -20 tonight!

Hit -5 just before midnight, by far my coldest temperature of the winter at that time of the night. Not convinced I beat -13 for my seasonal low though. Big variation in temperature tonight as well at the local PWS. I've never really paid a lot of attention until this year, but I guess I am in a pretty good spot for radiational cooling compared to some other locales nearby. The closest stations (within about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) are 2-3 degrees warmer, but just beyond those stations (about a mile), others are reporting the same reading as me.

Hit -5 just before midnight, by far my coldest temperature of the winter at that time of the night. Not convinced I beat -13 for my seasonal low though. Big variation in temperature tonight as well at the local PWS. I've never really paid a lot of attention until this year, but I guess I am in a pretty good spot for radiational cooling compared to some other locales nearby. The closest stations (within about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) are 2-3 degrees warmer, but just beyond those stations (about a mile), others are reporting the same reading as me.

Yea....on clear winter nights, with snow cover...you can do really well up there

Archived