Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

For me, it's more along the lines of:

1: Look outside, see decent snow

2: Bundle up and walk to the end of the street to try gauging visibility for an official forum report

3: Walk back to the house and see that it's snowing slightly harder; go for another jebwalk so as not to miss out on what could be the heaviest snow of the event

3. Repeat

Lmfao... Yea btw nyc officially recorded 3"... I think ALOT of those guys owe me an apology for the way I was treated the last few days, saying 3-5" when people like allsnow, yanks, and ag3 said 4-8 "atleast" lol... But of course the "official" totals are totally unbelievable lol

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW- there was more than that downtown and then again as I got to Hunts Point.  From about 30th > 110th there was noticeably less than elsewhere in Manhattan.  I know what I cleaned off the car when I left work and what I was standing in when I got to the shopping center at the bottom of the BRP and stopped to clean the headlights and windshield before getting on a road with no place to stop.

look I am just going to say it.

I am pissed at noaa.

really don't get it how they fail and hold jobs.

storm is done..i got 3 inches...

not even going to call in my total.

a director or vp needs to step in locallly to get the house in order.

I said it..but this is crazy.

family in north delaware were told rain etc and got inches of snow

See, this is the kind of snow that I was hoping for (and halfway expecting) throughout the day today. Steady precip rates with passable snow growth laying down around ~1"/hour.

I agree. Wish we had more of this. Oh well, glad it came eventually. Hope to get 4 inches, but that may be pushing it.....depends on when it all ends.

Lmfao... Yea btw nyc officially recorded 3"... I think ALOT of those guys owe me an apology for the way I was treated the last few days, saying 3-5" when people like allsnow, yanks, and ag3 said 4-8 "atleast" lol... But of course the "official" totals are totally unbelievable lol

Just got home from the Hockey game at West Point. About 1" there. Took 293 back and over route 6 to Central valley. Roads were not too bad. About 1/2" here IMBY.

I see I missed an exciting night!

I survived my trip to and from West Point. Left Newburgh Brewing for the game just as the snow was starting up again so it wasn't too bad, though 9w was indeed snow covered at that point. Coming home was not fun. Left the game at 9:30 and just got home now. Basically 15 mph up and over Storm King.  Thank goodness for 4WD. 

Just measured here and a little over 2" but it's actually snowing fairly decently now. Probably somewhere between ripping and pounding. 3" should be no problem, but I think more than that would be pushing it. 

And someone in here needs to put down the crack pipe and slowly step away...  :wacko:

So it looks like this may end up reaching the high end of one of the earlier today/last night Upton snowmaps.  I just spent the last hour and change shoveling and there is easily 6" on the ground here.  I will try to upload a crappy pic or two in the morning.  It is still coming down steadily but the flake size is starting to decrease just a bit.  For a while it was SN+, big flakes with NO wind at 28*.  I like this storm :popcorn:  

Now it's time for a beer  

where the fook is my snow! damit.

really dont understand how a bust is considered okay.

I want answers at this point.

Well there's really not much we can do about it. It's not like there's a conspiracy to overforecast snow by 50% just to watch a few hundred strangers on the internet squirm. The real-world impact of today's "bust" is minimal as far as I can tell... I don't know anybody who drives more or less recklessly depending on how much snow above 3" is on the ground.

We've anticipated the genesis of this storm system for the better part of a week, which is nothing short of awesome when you consider that the goal of a meteorologist is to foretell to within mere miles the state of 5,150,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of air, rotating at 1,000 mph, being heated (unevenly and haphazardly) by an unfathomably immense ball of fire that fuses 620,000,000 tons of hydrogen per second, and being constantly distorted, contorted, dried out, moistened, cooled, elevated, compressed, and shredded by vast expanses of land, sea, and coast that all meet and divorce without rhyme or reason. We got 2 or 3" of snow instead of 4" or 5". Meh.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

Guys on the snow board 2. 5 inches

Tried to find more.

I am at a loss of words. Don't think mt holly reports it as I was really upset when I called the total in.

I dont t understand how they forecast and bust again.

Taking a break from reporting snow totals. This hurt

ECM has busted on 3' worth of snow for me this last month, yet it was the ONLY low snow model for me the last 36 hours and doesn't it get it right.  Honestly the only system that is working for the north of Philly and west of NYC crowd this year is the model with the lowest snow potential has verified. Frustrating winter to say the least it's a mystery.

Well there's really not much we can do about it. It's not like there's a conspiracy to overforecast snow by 50% just to watch a few hundred strangers on the internet squirm. The real-world impact of today's "bust" is minimal as far as I can tell... I don't know anybody who drives more or less recklessly depending on how much snow above 3" is on the ground.

We've anticipated the genesis of this storm system for the better part of a week, which is nothing short of awesome when you consider that the goal of a meteorologist is to foretell to within mere miles the state of 5,150,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms of air, rotating at 1,000 mph, being heated (unevenly and haphazardly) by an unfathomably immense ball of fire that fuses 620,000,000 tons of hydrogen per second, and being constantly distorted, contorted, dried out, moistened, cooled, elevated, compressed, and shredded by vast expanses of land, sea, and coast that all meet and divorce without rhyme or reason. W

e got 2 or 3" of snow instead of 4" or 5". Meh.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

I know, just frustrated . I struggle to understand why the nws has fooled every forecast and wxrisk. Never recall such bust.

ECM has busted on 3' worth of snow for me this last month, yet it was the ONLY low snow model for me the last 36 hours and doesn't it get it right.  Honestly the only system that is working for the north of Philly and west of NYC crowd this year is the model with the lowest snow potential has verified. Frustrating winter to say the least it's a mystery.

I mentioned earlier that persistence forecasting (in terms of storms) was likely the way to go here. As you said, the theme of this winter, at least around here, is that nearly every system has busted low. I tend to take a step back from my weather obsession during the rest of the year, but I feel like this pattern has been going on for quite some time now, even back into last spring or summer. 

You guys need to get a grip. We have had a snowpack that hasn't melted or been washed away the whole month of Feb. How many winters with full sun in late Feb. do you see no meltoff? While we have been getting teased by models, nonetheless we have been adding to the pack with a steady parade of storms. I remember the big storm in Feb of 78. I was on Staten Island and we had 18 inches that ended in the early morning. By afternoon we were around 50 and knee high puddles in the streets. We are almost guaranteed to have a snowpack into Spring this year with a chance for a heavy hitter in March. Stop whining about 3 inches less in a storm and look at the big picture. You may never experience a backend winter as cold and stormy ever again in this area.

You guys need to get a grip. We have had a snowpack that hasn't melted or been washed away the whole month of Feb. How many winters with full sun in late Feb. do you see no meltoff? While we have been getting teased by models, nonetheless we have been adding to the pack with a steady parade of storms. I remember the big storm in Feb of 78. I was on Staten Island and we had 18 inches that ended in the early morning. By afternoon we were around 50 and knee high puddles in the streets. We are almost guaranteed to have a snowpack into Spring this year with a chance for a heavy hitter in March. Stop whining about 3 inches less in a storm and look at the big picture. You may never experience a backend winter as cold and stormy ever again in this area.

Dude it  is all about the forecast.

Just sayin..

i have been shucked all season

You guys need to get a grip. We have had a snowpack that hasn't melted or been washed away the whole month of Feb. How many winters in full sun in late Feb. do you see no meltoff? While we have been getting teased by models, nonetheless we have been adding to the pack with a steady parade of storms. I remember the big storm in Feb of 78. I was on Staten Island and we had 18 inches that ended in the early morning. By afternoon we were around 50 and knee high puddles in the streets. We are almost guaranteed to have a snowpack into Spring this year with a chance for a heavy hitter in March. Stop whining about 3 inches less in a storm and look at the big picture. You may never experience a backend winter as cold and stormy ever again in this area.

Personally, I'm loving this winter. I've already said it's like an A- winter for me. It's just lacking a "biggie" in terms of a snowfall. But I love the cold and the snow pack that we've built. I actually would grade this winter above last year. I think a lot of what others might be frustrated about has more to do with expectations. This is at least the fourth storm this year that we will end up with significantly less than what was forecast or what the models were showing. If I'm expecting two inches of snow and get four, it may feel a lot different than if I'm expecting ten inches of snow and get four. 

3.1" here before bed... not quite comfortable calling it final, but I don't imagine adding more than an additional tenth or so.

Not terrible.

Yeah i'd be happy with that, the models never really advertised anything big with this one as we all know..more of a glorified frontal boundary really. 2.5" here at most.. some lollis of 10"+ north of ALB.

Personally, I'm loving this winter. I've already said it's like an A- winter for me. It's just lacking a "biggie" in terms of a snowfall. But I love the cold and the snow pack that we've built. I actually would grade this winter above last year. I think a lot of what others might be frustrated about has more to do with expectations. This is at least the fourth storm this year that we will end up with significantly less than what was forecast or what the models were showing. If I'm expecting two inches of snow and get four, it may feel a lot different than if I'm expecting ten inches of snow and get four. 

Agreed on all counts. We can argue about the merits of nickle-and-dime events till the cows come home, but on the whole, it's been cold and snowy since Thanksgiving, and bitter/record cold looks to continue for the foreseeable future. We've had a few boring weeks, especially in the first half of the season, and it always stinks being on the fringe of a biblical/unprecedented/cataclysmic sequence of blizzards. However, when you look at aerial photos of sea ice along the Outer Banks, and you realize that 25F feels downright balmy, you know it's been a special season. I remain convinced that we're still due for a 12"+ storm, which would bump my rating up to a solid A.

Dude it is all about the forecast.

Just sayin..

i have been shucked all season

Dude, the models can't handle this month. The negative departures are historical. When has DC ever had 9 inches of snow on a South wind in late February? It doesn't happen. Most mets today are model huggers. The old school guys would have handled these storms better. If there is no consensus it becomes a compromise, which isn't a confident forecast. Historic cold is going to overwhelm more often than not. Makes sense that places near the ocean would be the winners until the extreme cold eases. But to get angry at the NWS in this historic period is unfair

Dude, the models can't handle this month. The negative departures are historical. When has DC ever had 9 inches of snow on a South wind in late February? It doesn't happen. Most mets today are model huggers. The old school guys would have handled these storms better. If there is no consensus it becomes a compromise, which isn't a confident forecast. Historic cold is going to overwhelm more often than not. Makes sense that places near the ocean would be the winners until the extreme cold eases. But to get angry at the NWS in this historic period is unfair

just frustrated. still snowing here.

I guess I need to move to steam boat springs , co.

Best,

Matt

Tug Hill plateau for some lake effect events. I went for the first time this year, and it was glorious!

no money up there for me.

Key West, FL is my goal.bsine

I want to get into the t-shirt or suvineor businees.

need to break the building ownership or Isralei fronts.

its like the vending  business these days..local cartel

Archived