joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be a big bust for the ALB area, 3.5" since last night.. I'd be happy with 2" more by tomorrow at this rate. Very frustrating storm.. best banding has consistently been 10 miles north where they might verify warning criteria. Good luck to you guys further south, maybe someone can get in on that band and push 6".

Better Call Saul 8/10

Snowstorm 0/10

Fantastic first episode. I think this is going to be a great series, really excited to watch (and I don't really watch tv).

Gonna be a big bust for the ALB area, 3.5" since last night.. I'd be happy with 2" more by tomorrow at this rate. Very frustrating storm.. best banding has consistently been 10 miles north where they might verify warning criteria. Good luck to you guys further south, maybe someone can get in on that band and push 6".

I think a lot of us, you included, saw the writing on the wall for this one. Might be some major disappointments in NE though. I do think someone in the southern part of Dutchess or northern Putnam county will crack 6" though. That band is pretty intense and appears to be relatively stationary for the next few hours. I work in Fishkill, so I'll get some idea in the morning how they did down there.

Are you running that out of your basement? lol.

lol, I paid off the GFS programmers for that bullseye that keeps showing up.

The cold is just ridiculous though. This run actually keeps the area below zero for highs on Sunday (after single digit highs on Friday and Saturday). A below zero high around here is virtually impossible, but it will no doubt be a very cold weekend.

There's also 2 clippers that blow up to sub 970 mb storms, but probably with little effect on us. The one on Thursday night does look good for a few inches hopefully. Second one develops over the MA.

If this pattern holds and we keep getting cold and snow this may be an A winter here.  It can't end up A+ because of the slow start but if the snowpack holds into mid March and we can approach 60 days in my mind it will be an A.

We haven't had that much snow yet...I'm at 27" in Dobbs Ferry whereas last year I had close to 60" by now.

If this pattern holds and we keep getting cold and snow this may be an A winter here.  It can't end up A+ because of the slow start but if the snowpack holds into mid March and we can approach 60 days in my mind it will be an A.

I've been looking at it differently. Last year seemed extremely cold but in actuality, the cold didn't really set in until around 1/20. We had some very cold and snowy days in December and January prior to that point (the snowstorm in the single digits in December, the snowstorm just after New Years that was followed by a couple of nights with subzero readings), but we also had several days in the 40's and 50's last January too (in fact, we might have even hit 60). This year, January was pretty consistently cold from almost the beginning of the month. Not as extreme as last year, but more consistent (no January thaw this year). Also, while we had a warm December this year, I think you can offset that by the very cold and snowy November that we had. The other thing about last year is that, even though we remained cold until the 3rd week in March or so, we didn't have any significant snow after 2/18. Of course there's a long way to go this year and the pattern could flip, but if we maintain this cold, I like our chances to at least continue to nickel and dime ourselves to above normal snowfall by the time all is said and done. And this crazy snowpack over New England should help to keep the cold air around. 

Archived