joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had every type of precip here so far.  Roads are slushy but with the temp dropping they are starting to ice over.  I scraped the driveway down so maybe the lowest layer isn't a sheet of ice, we'll see how that goes.  

Anybody see the radar for further upstate?  Looks like a firehose running right along the Thruway and into the northern Berks.

6" looks to be the limit for most in our area. Maybe areas in northern ulster/dutchess pick up closer to 8"

I'll be thrilled to get near 6", personally. Meteorology and my gut both tell me to expect mediocrity. Like I said, I'm aiming for 4.5" so I can hit 50" on the season. Anything more than that would be fantastic.

Flurries at 30.6/27

We've had every type of precip here so far.  Roads are slushy but with the temp dropping they are starting to ice over.  I scraped the driveway down so maybe the lowest layer isn't a sheet of ice, we'll see how that goes.  

Anybody see the radar for further upstate?  Looks like a firehose running right along the Thruway and into the northern Berks

Riding the thermal gradient

post-8457-0-85818200-1423431644_thumb.pn

Didn't think about using this product until I saw it on twitter just now, but it has merit. It's the SPC's SSEO system, an ensemble of seven established mesoscale models, and should be useful for identifying things like terrain-influenced precip. GFS FTW?

Nice find. Kind of looks like some RPM model runs that I've seen too. It seems as if the GFS is doing well lately. Is there some truth to that?

Didn't think about using this product until I saw it on twitter just now, but it has merit. It's the SPC's SSEO system, an ensemble of seven established mesoscale models, and should be useful for identifying things like terrain-influenced precip. GFS FTW?

u2Z87ZU.png

Wow haha that's really hard to believe after looking at the radar along with the most recent hrrr and rap. Snow growth has been terrible here with about 2" since last night and .2" liquid equivalent.

Wow haha that's really hard to believe after looking at the radar along with the most recent hrrr and rap. Snow growth has been terrible here with about 2" since last night and .2" liquid equivalent.

I guess we'll find out when the easterly flow starts freshening after the frontal wave tightens up. Incidentally, my snow just picked up to near moderate levels with pretty decent flakes. Let's try to clean up early in the game here.

I guess we'll find out when the easterly flow starts freshening after the frontal wave tightens up. Incidentally, my snow just picked up to near moderate levels with pretty decent flakes. Let's try to clean up early in the game here.

You might clean up tonight as the boundary sags south. Nice snow hole over ALB too. 

hrrrNEsf_prec_radar_009.gif

Aaaand the scaling back has commenced..

Actually put me into the higher band.. .......Not that I believe it. Flow has changed over the past several hrs. Went from looking towards BGM to MPO to see whats downstream and there isn't much below our latitude to see. Looks to me that unless the true arctic boundary somewhere between Kingston and Coxsackie (had to throw that that in...love that name) starts pushing Southward all the forcing tonight will stay North of us. 

Actually put me into the higher band.. .......Not that I believe it. Flow has changed over the past several hrs. Went from looking towards BGM to MPO to see whats downstream and there isn't much below our latitude to see. Looks to me that unless the true arctic boundary somewhere between Kingston and Coxsackie (had to throw that that in...love that name) starts pushing Southward all the forcing tonight will stay North of us.

What's so funny about the name Kingston?

;)

Archived