joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys. good luck. 0 z gfs dropped the hammer into nw nj.

I plan to ride out the storm near mt snow, vt.

wife gave the okay. 

if we get another shft south, i may not leave.

impressive that the 1 inch qpf shifted that much,

calling dr ruth

Nice, somewhere between mount snow and woodford, vt is gonna have 50"+ on the ground after this. I was thinking that woodford might be the jackpot for this one.

GFS has to be overdoing the orographic effects, the easterly flow isn't even that strong.

It did the same thing last week and that didn't verify at all. It does seem like that is showing up on each of the models with this setup, though not as extreme as the GFS. Ryan (CT Rain) posted on twitter that he thought his location (Hartford area) could see a lower amount of snow. One thing in our favor vs western and southern areas is that we stay on the good side of the 850 temps, so I think there's little if any risk of mixing here. Always fun to watch these things play out.

Then it's on to Thursday

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20.png

And then Sunday 

gfs_T2m_neus_31.png

Nice, somewhere between mount snow and woodford, vt is gonna have 50"+ on the ground after this. I was thinking that woodford might be the jackpot for this one.

Southern VT should do well. I was thinking, looking at that steady stream of moisture, the areas just SW of Albany should do really well, like around Greene and Schoharie counties. You'd think they would benefit from both upslope and lake enhancement, as this moisture is traveling over a few of the Great Lakes. 

It did the same thing last week and that didn't verify at all. It does seem like that is showing up on each of the models with this setup, though not as extreme as the GFS. Ryan (CT Rain) posted on twitter that he thought his location (Hartford area) could see a lower amount of snow. One thing in our favor vs western and southern areas is that we stay on the good side of the 850 temps, so I think there's little if any risk of mixing here. Always fun to watch these things play out.

Then it's on to Thursday

GFS is probably too pronounced but yeah all the models are picking up on some upslope enhancement/downslope drying. Man thursday could be real fun too if that trough digs just a little further west. What an epic stretch of weather.

dude. not one run has missed south vt.

check out this though. my town looks to be be getting into the qpf.  need 6 z to confirm.

may need to get hungry locally

18 z

0 z

mt holly is most likely busting ballz

post-326-0-30328100-1423370519_thumb.gif

post-326-0-14888500-1423370672_thumb.gif

Southern VT should do well. I was thinking, looking at that steady stream of moisture, the areas just SW of Albany should do really well, like around Greene and Schoharie counties. You'd think they would benefit from both upslope and lake enhancement, as this moisture is traveling over a few of the Great Lakes. 

Greene County is always a sweet spot.. I believe there is a town there called East Jewett. Man they always clean up. I believe in Feb 2010 they recorded 6-7' for the month alone.

alright men, i snow chase by model run.

still think mt snow is near ground zero.

heavy buzz, going to bed.

still love the inch qpf drag south locally tonight on the gfs.

Best

Yeah it's looking closer and closer for you at home. I'd wait until the morning to see what's up but no doubt S. VT gets a nice event.

This is gonna be such a tenuous stratiform precip shield... I tend to believe the globals are overdoing QPF for our area. I think we're all agreed that the GFS's downsloping scenario is too drastic, but it is a concern IMO. Any sinking motion can be problematic when your broad-scale ascent is already weak and spotty.

I think 5-6" would be my initial guess for mby.

This is gonna be such a tenuous stratiform precip shield... I tend to believe the globals are overdoing QPF for our area. I think we're all agreed that the GFS's downsloping scenario is too drastic, but it is a concern IMO. Any sinking motion can be problematic when your broad-scale ascent is already weak and spotty.

I think 5-6" would be my initial guess for mby.

I agree. I think 6" is a good call for us valley dwellers. I'll gladly take it over rain. I'm still more fascinated by the cold coming later in the week. Hopefully that signal holds.

The general public never understands this though.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the call... My dead honest opinion is that this will disappoint everyone on this forum, even us up here... GFS is the only model that shows .50"+ and most it's ensembles are split 50/50... Huge red flag imo... I'm expecting light snow with occasional bursts of moderate.. 3-6" acc

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the call... My dead honest opinion is that this will disappoint everyone on this forum, even us up here... GFS is the only model that shows .50"+ and most it's ensembles are split 50/50... Huge red flag imo... I'm expecting light snow with occasional bursts of moderate.. 3-6" acc

I agree, we are so close and yet so far on this one. Perhaps we'll be peasantly surprised but I'm not counting on that. We aren't done yet though, still more chances to track this week.

Archived