12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the coldest you, and anyone else, has ever experienced? For me it was 24 below zero upstate in 4/2004. It didn't feel that cold but it does freeze your snots and the snow creaked when walked or driven on.

Hmm... not sure. It's been in the negative teens a few times around here but I haven't often traveled north in the winter, and until relatively recently I never paid as much attention to cold as I did snow.

What's the coldest you, and anyone else, has ever experienced? For me it was 24 below zero upstate in 4/2004. It didn't feel that cold but it does freeze your snots and the snow creaked when walked or driven on.

-57  FKNA COLD!!  Some of the deep high mt valleys in the Rockies get stoopid cold.  Between there and assorted spots in New England I've seen plenty of temps colder than -25.  Don't turn on the defroster at a high temp in the car when it's that cold, the windshield pops and you get a crack the whole width.  

We lived in a trailer on the Yampa river another winter and didn't get the gas lines hooked up properly before we got snowed in.  I would wake up with it in the mid -20's in my bedroom.  There was a bar a minute walk away so I would go home, start the kerosene heater to warm the place up then go get a beer.  A half hour later when I went home I'd put on my ski clothes for the next day and crawl into my two sleeping bags with an electric heating pad underneath and crash.  In the morning when I had to pee that meant it was time to split.  Nope, never brought a chick home that winter  :lmao:

Wow, I've never seen cold like that, but my freshman year of college at Oneonta in '05 I measured -24 with a Walmart thermometer. Those Walmart thermometers can be shaky though. Think my record for Kingston is -10 in January 2011. GFS looked OK but for some reason has a local QPF minima over the HV, doubt that verifies.

-57 FKNA COLD!! Some of the deep high mt valleys in the Rockies get stoopid cold. Between there and assorted spots in New England I've seen plenty of temps colder than -25. Don't turn on the defroster at a high temp in the car when it's that cold, the windshield pops and you get a crack the whole width.

We lived in a trailer on the Yampa river another winter and didn't get the gas lines hooked up properly before we got snowed in. I would wake up with it in the mid -20's in my bedroom. There was a bar a minute walk away so I would go home, start the kerosene heater to warm the place up then go get a beer. A half hour later when I went home I'd put on my ski clothes for the next day and crawl into my two sleeping bags with an electric heating pad underneath and crash. In the morning when I had to pee that meant it was time to split. Nope, never brought a chick home that winter :lmao:

I don't even know what to say to this...wow

I remember Christmas Day 1982, maybe 83, we were in NH skiing and took the day off because the high was -25 in town and it was worse in the mts and then add some wind.  Woof!  January 85 you could have walked into the parking lot at KMart in Rutland and had your choice of cars to take home.  It was so F'n cold everybody was leaving their cars running because they might not start if they sat for an hour.  I took my battery out and brought it inside with me many times that month.

Any idea where we stack up with below zero days compared to this time last year?

Last year at this point I had three below zero days which occurred in a row from 1/3/14-1/5/14.  This year I have only two below zero days so far.  Interesting to note that last year at this point I was close to starting four of five nights with lows below zero. Last year I had a total of 11 days with below zero lows, which was by far the most I've recorded since I started living here in May 2005.  The 08-09 and the 10-11 winters each had three days with below zero lows and there were one or two a few other winters.  As for high temps in the single digits, I quick look showed I haven't recorded any here.  The coldest high I saw for me was 1/16/09 which had a high of 14.  Again, this isn't scientific and is just based on my Davis out in the yard.

Archived