amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As is tradition..there aren't enough buns in the tri-state region for all the weenies in there.

Yeah, but it's even worse than usual!

Saw this on twitter and thought it was pretty cool, a captain posting that his boat was stuck in 20" of ice on the Hudson

https://twitter.com/SeaSpeed13/status/563808817587453952/photo/1

Wow, stunning photo ^

Remember the ice yachts last winter? I have a feeling they'll be out again in full force within a few weeks.

I ventured down to Constitution Marsh last winter and it was a stunning landscape. Almost felt as if I was in Alaska, amidst the ice floes and with the Hudson Higlands in the distance.

Yeah, but it's even worse than usual!

Saw this on twitter and thought it was pretty cool, a captain posting that his boat was stuck in 20" of ice on the Hudson

https://twitter.com/SeaSpeed13/status/563808817587453952/photo/1

Nice find. The Coast Guard will be busy breaking up the ice for a while in the northeast this year.

Wow, that Sunday storm thread is a complete disaster. :axe:

Completely agree... I bounce back between the two threads... I live in the Hudson valley but in the extreme southern part of the LHV so my weather is pretty much in between what NYC and the rest of the HV sees. What are you guys thinking for Northern Westchester for this Sunday into Monday storm?

Completely agree... I bounce back between the two threads... I live in the Hudson valley but in the extreme southern part of the LHV so my weather is pretty much in between what NYC and the rest of the HV sees. What are you guys thinking for Northern Westchester for this Sunday into Monday storm?

Tough call just like it is for many of us. I'd go 2-4/3-5 for now but could trend in either direction (I would imagine trend up would be more likely scenario of the two).

I love this stuff. 384 hours of weenie fodder four times a day.

Just gorgeous. I would gladly pay for the 40 gallons of oil that would surely burn  :shiver:

Now it's a convo in there about seasonal snowfall for various city's...yeah, I see the connection to the storm threat...uh huh

It's the Groundhog Day version of a weather forum.

That's a little bit far out there, but next Friday which is really only 7 days away, is looking especially cold. Both models have daytime highs that day near zero.

I'm going to get to your question tomorrow morning, sorry it didn't happen today. In addition to below zero days, now I'm interested in looking at any single digit highs I've had here in the past almost 10 years.

I'm going to get to your question tomorrow morning, sorry it didn't happen today. In addition to below zero days, now I'm interested in looking at any single digit highs I've had here in the past almost 10 years.

No worries, I was just curious. I know you keep good records. I've been thinking that this winter is on it's way to surpassing last winter for cold, and possibly even for snow (at least for the interior) when all is said and done. One thing about last winter that I don't think a lot of people remember is that we didn't really flip to a colder pattern until about 1/20.  Last year there were some pretty extreme days in January, some with subzero lows and others with 40-50 degree highs, while this year pretty much all of January was fairly cold . And we see which direction February is headed  :shiver:

What's the coldest you, and anyone else, has ever experienced? For me it was 24 below zero upstate in 4/2004. It didn't feel that cold but it does freeze your snots and the snow creaked when walked or driven on.

About 25 below in lake placid a couple years ago. Instant headache if i breathed through my nose, like an ice cream induced brain freeze.

"About 25 below", really? How does one who follows the weather not recall the exact temp? I think this exhibit should be thrown out.

My fingers froze to the thermometer.

I also dumped a bucket of hot water off the balcony of my hotel. The guy parked underneath wasnt very happy with the freak snow event.

My fingers froze to the thermometer.

I also dumped a bucket of hot water off the balcony of my hotel. The guy parked underneath wasnt very happy with the freak snow event.

Due to this comedic follow up, I will allow the original exhibit to remain. At least you didn't get your tongue stuck to anything.

What's the coldest you, and anyone else, has ever experienced? For me it was 24 below zero upstate in 4/2004. 

While in my freshman year at college (Peoria, IL) it got down to -21° with a windchill of -50° one January day. I had a five minute walk from my dorm to the building in which I had a class and by the time I got there my mustache had frozen completely solid. This was back when Army & Navy surplus snorkel shell coats first became "in" (1970) and I had just seen the movie "M*A*S*H" and fell in love with them. It was the first time I wore it and it kept me warm enough but my face was REALLY cold. 

While in my freshman year at college (Peoria, IL) it got down to -21° with a windchill of -50° one January day. I had a five minute walk from my dorm to the building in which I had a class and by the time I got there my mustache had frozen completely solid. This was back when Army & Navy surplus snorkel shell coats first became "in" (1970) and I had just seen the movie "M*A*S*H" and fell in love with them. It was the first time I wore it and it kept me warm enough but my face was REALLY cold.

What a classic movie!

What's the coldest you, and anyone else, has ever experienced? For me it was 24 below zero upstate in 4/2004. It didn't feel that cold but it does freeze your snots and the snow creaked when walked or driven on.

-18 for me, also upstate in Syracuse in January 2004. That month also featured a ridiculous stretch of something like 50 straight hours where the temperature never went above zero. I doubt that I will ever experience cold like that again. 

-18 for me, also upstate in Syracuse in January 2004. That month also featured a ridiculous stretch of something like 50 straight hours where the temperature never went above zero. I doubt that I will ever experience cold like that again.

It may have been the same night for both of us, I experienced that -24 in Cazenovia.

It may have been the same night for both of us, I experienced that -24 in Cazenovia.

I actually lived in Cortland but worked in the Cuse. So I imagine it was colder in Cortland, but I wasn't a weather geek then, and Cortland's weather records are not online that far back.

Btw the NAM was south and so were the SREF's but the Australian and Chinese models drifted north and now give Montreal the jackpot. Road trip?!

I actually lived in Cortland but worked in the Cuse. So I imagine it was colder in Cortland, but I wasn't a weather geek then, and Cortland's weather records are not online that far back.

Btw the NAM was south and so were the SREF's but the Australian and Chinese models drifted north and now give Montreal the jackpot. Road trip?!

But what did the Norway model show?

Archived