Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! Only got down to 5 above here. The snowpack at my stake is down to about 13" from 15" yesterday already due to mostly settling guessing but maybe a little wind too.

Glens Falls got down to -27  :shiver:

I had to laugh reading some of the posts in the snowpack thread. Seems very similar to our discussion yesterday about inflated snowfall totals. 

Some mood flakes possible tomorrow morning? Meso models show some scattered snow showers moving through.

Glens Falls got down to -27 :shiver:

I had to laugh reading some of the posts in the snowpack thread. Seems very similar to our discussion yesterday about inflated snowfall totals.

Some mood flakes possible tomorrow morning? Meso models show some scattered snow showers moving through.

People think for example that if they had 6" on the ground and then got a foot of snow that they have a snowpack of 18"...if folks actually measured it they realized it never happens like that due to settling and sublimation.

People think for example that if they had 6" on the ground and then got a foot of snow that they have a snowpack of 18"...if folks actually measured it they realized it never happens like that due to settling and sublimation.

Yeah, it's usually a "three steps forward and two steps back" kind of thing. That's why a little sleet and torching is good from time to time... fortifies the pack. The multiple layers of powder I have out there now are just too submissive...

-9.2F this am, not bad at all considering how far north the baroclinic zone got ripped yesterday, and how cloudy it was overnight.

Gorgeous night out there. Got a nice extended skate in underneath the moonlight, fresh snow, and at a comfortable temperature (and no wind!). 

Currently at 11 degrees, down from an afternoon high of 26. 

Looks like a nice pack refresher Thursday morning, though the timing could be better as it looks to happen during the rush.

I'd pay an unreasonable sum of money to lock this in. Snows from 00z Sunday right through 00z Thursday... shave off a few tenths of an inch from tomorrow's snow showers.

lol, I was just going to post the same map! That's the weenie run of the year right there. As depicted, that's like 2-3' of snow for most of the area, more in the mountains.  :weenie: (the 850 line stays south of us nearly the entire time)

A lot of inconsistencies. I guess we can be fairly certain it's going to precipitate, potentially 1"+, some of it should be snow, and it might be of long duration. The GFS ensemble members are all over the place in that time frame. Will be fun to watch it play out over the next few days.

lol, I was just going to post the same map! That's the weenie run of the year right there. As depicted, that's like 2-3' of snow for most of the area, more in the mountains.  :weenie: (the 850 line stays south of us nearly the entire time)

A lot of inconsistencies. I guess we can be fairly certain it's going to precipitate, potentially 1"+, some of it should be snow, and it might be of long duration. The GFS ensemble members are all over the place in that time frame. Will be fun to watch it play out over the next few days.

Yesterday's euro snow maps weren't so bad either. Alot of runs to go, but nice eye candy. 

I'd pay an unreasonable sum of money to lock this in. Snows from 00z Sunday right through 00z Thursday... shave off a few tenths of an inch from tomorrow's snow showers.

KHE7kfl.png

If this were to be all snow it reminds me of how the snow was distributed around this exact ending time frame last winter. I had Valentine's dinner in the Allamuchy region of NJ and then went to the Poconos that weekend and this was basically the depth distribution.

Yesterday's euro snow maps weren't so bad either. Alot of runs to go, but nice eye candy. 

Yep. Looks good today as well. Snow moves in Sunday morning and ends Tuesday morning. 1.25-1.5" liquid precipitation across the area and plenty cold for everyone.

Tomorrow morning looks kinda meh from a snow perspective. I think the ceiling is probably 2". The bigger story will be the falling temperatures.

Albany, on tomorrow morning:

SOME MODELS SUGGEST A BRIEF PERIOD OF STRONG MID LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS ACROSS THE REGION IMMEDIATELY IN THE WAKE OF THE PASSING SFC BOUNDARY...WHICH MAY WORK IN TANDEM WITH ABUNDANT MID/UPPER LEVEL PACIFIC MOISTURE TO PRODUCE A FEW BRIEF BURSTS OF MODERATE SNOWFALL.

The RGEM was actually quite robust east of the river, though the result is a very disjointed-looking QPF map, so I'm iffy on that for now. I do think somebody could pick up a surprise 3.3" or somesuch if everything goes perfectly.

Albany, on tomorrow morning:

SOME MODELS SUGGEST A BRIEF PERIOD OF STRONG MID LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS ACROSS THE REGION IMMEDIATELY IN THE WAKE OF THE PASSING SFC BOUNDARY...WHICH MAY WORK IN TANDEM WITH ABUNDANT MID/UPPER LEVEL PACIFIC MOISTURE TO PRODUCE A FEW BRIEF BURSTS OF MODERATE SNOWFALL.
The RGEM was actually quite robust east of the river, though the result is a very disjointed-looking QPF map, so I'm iffy on that for now. I do think somebody could pick up a surprise 3.3" or somesuch if everything goes perfectly.
I know many are looking to the weekend and next week, but tomorrow looks like another classic winter day around here, snow in the air, dropping temps, blowing and drifting in the afternoon.

Yep. Looks good today as well. Snow moves in Sunday morning and ends Tuesday morning. 1.25-1.5" liquid precipitation across the area and plenty cold for everyone.

Tomorrow morning looks kinda meh from a snow perspective. I think the ceiling is probably 2". The bigger story will be the falling temperatures.

True, whatever melts today will turn into a brick soon.

Archived