amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good for a few more ticks to the south? How did the euro ensembles come out?

Btw I'm from manhattan, but currently in New Paltz for the winter just to curb any confusion lol.

Nam is coming in South finally, too early to tell how far tho, your in a good spot to see atleast 8-10, I'm about 10 miles south of you and I'm expecting as much

Does anyone have a map of average snowfall for the Hudson Valley? Ive seen 2 of them or so but I dont think any of them are right and average Catskills precipitation is increasing so that makes it even more difficult.

Ive been looking for years! lol.. 40-60" seems to be average for most in the HV. 40" for those either very to close to the river are with elevations below 300'. More as you move away from the river & with elevation. Many areas in the Hudson Highlands & Shawangunk Ridge average 55-60".

I think maybe we'll be able to claim 8" or 9" if we get some halfway decent precip rates and diligently wipe our boards every six hours, but yeah... I doubt anybody in the mid- HV wakes up to 10" on Tuesday morning. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree... 6" i would think most in the area see. Considering it will be spread out over 36 hrs its gonna be more of a nuisance event.

I think this one might have some surprises. But yeah, widespread double digit totals are unlikely. The snow is getting a little dirty though, so any new snow is a plus to help freshen and sustain the pack. Then it's on to the clipper and the cold that follows. I'm almost more interested in that than what comes of this snowfall. 

It appears Boston is going to just pile up snow from this event. I wonder if they exceed 2' in spots. What an incredible past few weeks they are having.

Btw, the GFS spins up a weak coastal from a clipper and gives us another several inches of snow on Thursday. Another one to keep an eye on.

The exploding clipper has high potential IMO due to the extreme cold right behind it.

Little further north and also seems a bit drier than 12z.

What are you thinking for your backyard? 12-18" range?

I feel like these long duration light precip events always underperform around the hudson valley.. maybe because orographics become a bigger deal. I'd go with 6-10" honestly but hope I'm wrong.

Coastal front looks deadly. Check out the hires RGEM model depiction of accumulated snowfall around Boston. NWS just upgraded Dutchess and Ulster to warnings btw.

Yeah someone in that area will have 40"+ depths two days from now easy, so jealous. 18z nam likes them as well

f66.gif

I feel like these long duration light precip events always underperform around the hudson valley.. maybe because orographics become a bigger deal. I'd go with 6-10" honestly but hope I'm wrong.

lol, I always take the under too. It's a win-win, no disappointment if the forecast busts, but big time excitement if it verifies.

I noticed the HRRR sim radar loop is a freebie on Weatherbell so I figured I'd post a link if anyone wants to bookmark it. Graphics are nicer than most other sites.

hrrr_2015020718_ref_ne.gif

http://models.weatherbell.com/hrrr/2015020718/ne/hrrr_2015020718_ref_ne.gif

I have a map somewhere...I'll post it when I'm at my computer next time. Strictly for valley locations, albany to glens falls is about the same distance (mileage) as albany down to Poughkeepsie, but there's a large drop off of avg snow in the valley once you get south of albany. Glens falls gets around 65", albany around 60" but Poughkeepsie drops to around 40". Obviously the higher elevations do better around those cities, but I'll post the map when I can.

Ive been looking for years! lol.. 40-60" seems to be average for most in the HV. 40" for those either very to close to the river are with elevations below 300'. More as you move away from the river & with elevation. Many areas in the Hudson Highlands & Shawangunk Ridge average 55-60".

Coastal front looks deadly. Check out the hires RGEM model depiction of accumulated snowfall around Boston. NWS just upgraded Dutchess and Ulster to warnings btw.

attachicon.gifhrdps_snow_boston_49.png

Now that's just downright impressive ! Areas just N and W of Boston look to get hammered (which happen to be the same areas that jackpotted with 3'+ from the blizzard)

Archived