• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Looks like Clarksville is the big winner so far at 17.4", though I never know whether to believe Facebook spotter reports.

Eh... he bothered to report to the tenth of an inch, so it's already better than most social media reports. Albany's PNS lists 14.0" for Rhinebeck, 12.0" for Pine Plains and Millerton, and 9.0" for three other places in DC. Five of those six reports were sourced from Facebook, and I can't shake the feeling that at least a few of those measurements were derived without ever having walked outside...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh... he bothered to report to the tenth of an inch, so it's already better than most social media reports. Albany's PNS lists 14.0" for Rhinebeck, 12.0" for Pine Plains and Millerton, and 9.0" for three other places in DC. Five of those six reports were sourced from Facebook, and I can't shake the feeling that at least a few of those measurements were derived without ever having walked outside...

Actually, overall, 27 out of 41 Facebook reports on the 2 pm PNS are right on the inch mark. I know they're just preliminary/unofficial data, but you gotta wonder how many are even close to being accurate.

Actually, overall, 27 out of 41 Facebook reports on the 2 pm PNS are right on the inch mark. I know they're just preliminary/unofficial data, but you gotta wonder how many are even close to being accurate.

Seems like 8-10" was common across the region. I'm not an official spotter and I don't have a snow board, but I typically take several measurements across my yard and stick to the 6 hour guidelines. I'm sure most of the Facebook people take one measurement and it's probably on their deck.

IMO the overwhelming majority of snowfall reports are inflated and not necessarly on purpose. How many people actually measure on a board? It makes a huge difference. Then you have people who eye measure, measure in drifts, and now you could have people actually measuring the snowpack rather than the snowfall from just this storm.

IMO the overwhelming majority of snowfall reports are inflated and not necessarly on purpose. How many people actually measure on a board? It makes a huge difference. Then you have people who eye measure, measure in drifts, and now you could have people actually measuring the snowpack rather than the snowfall from just this storm.

Im willing to wager a lot of money that 99% of the overinflated measurements are from males.

Snow measurement...must clarify. Lol

Yeah, exactly. People overestimate even fresh snowfall by a huge margin. I was told on Friday that my 'hood had at "at least five inches", and I measured 2.6. I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing totals after years and years of practice, but even then a fluffy 6" sometimes has a way of looking like almost a foot before I crack out the ruler. I don't expect the general public to use CoCoRaHS-approved measuring boards or kill themselves trying to find a credible average amid the drifts, but I do think the NWS should discuss some rudimentary measuring techniques when asking for storm reports on social media. 

I live right on the border of Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park, so my 10" seems like a reasonable number

...DUTCHESS COUNTY...

PINE PLAINS 15.0 400 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

RHINEBECK 14.0 1225 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

CLINTON CORNERS 14.0 409 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

MILLERTON 12.0 114 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

BEACON 12.0 406 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

HYDE PARK 10.5 413 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

WAPPINGERS FALLS 9.0 113 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

LA GRANGE 9.0 339 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

POUGHKEEPSIE 8.6 1210 PM 2/02 SPOTTER

FISHKILL 8.2 239 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

I live right on the border of Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park, so my 10" seems like a reasonable number

...DUTCHESS COUNTY...

PINE PLAINS 15.0 400 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

RHINEBECK 14.0 1225 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

CLINTON CORNERS 14.0 409 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

MILLERTON 12.0 114 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

BEACON 12.0 406 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

HYDE PARK 10.5 413 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

WAPPINGERS FALLS 9.0 113 PM 2/02 FACEBOOK

LA GRANGE 9.0 339 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

POUGHKEEPSIE 8.6 1210 PM 2/02 SPOTTER

FISHKILL 8.2 239 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

I see what you guys were talking about earlier with all those large even totals from Facebook with lower, and likely more accurate, spotter totals.

I ended up with right about 12".  That tail end snow added another 2+ on top of 10" of  mixed bag.  Great storm!  Cold, windy, big drifts and every possible precip type all in the space of 18 hours.

Next...

Nice total!

12z Euro ensemble mean says how about a 998 mb low on the benchmark at 84 hours?  :whistle:  As depicted, would be another huge hit for Boston, but still throws about 6" back this way. Even bigger potential early next week, but a lot of spread on the ensembles. Monday to Wednesday look like the time to keep an eye on. I feel more late nights on the way.

Yeah, got lucky with good snow growth at the right times.  That final burst really did me justice and staying under ~22 the whole time made the difference.  Heh, just looked outside and it's snowing lightly again with a good stiff breeze out of the NE.

Something about Thursday night keeps saying 3-6" to me.  I think Julians early read may end up being pretty darned close.

Nice total!

12z Euro ensemble mean says how about a 998 mb low on the benchmark at 84 hours?  :whistle:  As depicted, would be another huge hit for Boston, but still throws about 6" back this way. Even bigger potential early next week, but a lot of spread on the ensembles. Monday to Wednesday look like the time to keep an eye on. I feel more late nights on the way.

If these storms pan out there will be some serious sleep deficits on this board.

Final snow total was 7.5 inches in highland lakes, nj.

Seems I have the lowest total in the area. lol

I had the same total. My first measurement wasn't till 9am and was 7.3" which was after several hours of sleet. Might have been closer to 8" prior to the sleet is my guess. Final this afternoon was 7.5". More potential chances in the next week or so.

Currently 11 winds NW 10-15 gusting 20ish w/ WC of -3. Brrr outside but woodstove says shorts weather inside!

Archived