Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's spectacular, thanks for the link. The USCG guys must have been a little leery of the drone circling overhead, but what an awesome sequence.

I know it's becoming a hot topic but the footage that people are getting with drones now is pretty wild.

Came home to another 1.5" from this morning bringing by total to 5.9", so I'm pleasantly surprised. More sleet/snow grains in this afternoons clean up though, oddly enough.

I know it's becoming a hot topic but the footage that people are getting with drones now is pretty wild.

Came home to another 1.5" from this morning bringing by total to 5.9", so I'm pleasantly surprised. More sleet/snow grains in this afternoons clean up though, oddly enough.

Nice! You pretty much doubled my total lol. 

Indeed. It seems like new restrictions on their use are constantly being set... you can't use them in most public lands AFAIK, and trespassing is always sketchy. I imagine that landscape photographers and cinematographers will soon need to embrace the aerial drone to stay competitive, though

For those intetested in the ice on the Hudson, check this out, very cool. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=806733629392816

Very cool Rob, thanks for sharing!

Final total here was just a shade over 6". Measured the pack at 16.5" today.

Looking ahead, I think the single number high temperatures that we've been discussing may very well be doable at least one day Friday through Sunday. Should be the coldest nights of the season for most of us too (especially the non-radiators). 

Very cool Rob, thanks for sharing!

Final total here was just a shade over 6". Measured the pack at 16.5" today.

Looking ahead, I think the single number high temperatures that we've been discussing may very well be doable at least one day Friday through Sunday. Should be the coldest nights of the season for most of us too (especially the non-radiators).

Our numbers are almost spot on, it was getting dark but I think I have 16.5" at my stake as well. It will be interesting to see just how cold it gets, that's for sure.

Brief burst of moderate snow/graupel mix here after a few hours of freezing drizzle. Took a quick glance at the HRRR and it's showing snow redeveloping around 7 across the region and persisting for a few hours. I'm guessing this may be associated with the 850 low that is traversing the region.

Man the GFS just shifted west a bit and is another Boston burial Thursday night into Friday as modeled. Think they are saying uncle yet?

Brief burst of moderate snow/graupel mix here after a few hours of freezing drizzle. Took a quick glance at the HRRR and it's showing snow redeveloping around 7 across the region and persisting for a few hours. I'm guessing this may be associated with the 850 low that is traversing the region.

Man the GFS just shifted west a bit and is another Boston burial Thursday night into Friday as modeled. Think they are saying uncle yet?

It must be getting close to a disaster in Boston with the snow they have now, can imagine more!

Did you see the press conference their mayor had this afternoon?  They asked businesses to let people work from home because of the snow emergency and parking ban.  From what I was reading the T will also be tough for people because they have nowhere to put the parking lot snow so the parking is very limited.  It looks like a bunch of municipalities up there also have parking bans so just going to work will be a problem even if they don't get more snow in the near future.

Did you see the press conference their mayor had this afternoon? They asked businesses to let people work from home because of the snow emergency and parking ban. From what I was reading the T will also be tough for people because they have nowhere to put the parking lot snow so the parking is very limited. It looks like a bunch of municipalities up there also have parking bans so just going to work will be a problem even if they don't get more snow in the near future.

Wow, thanks for the report on that, doesn't sound good.

Did you see the press conference their mayor had this afternoon?  They asked businesses to let people work from home because of the snow emergency and parking ban.  From what I was reading the T will also be tough for people because they have nowhere to put the parking lot snow so the parking is very limited.  It looks like a bunch of municipalities up there also have parking bans so just going to work will be a problem even if they don't get more snow in the near future.

70" of snow in 18 days. That's just insane for a major metropolitan area like Boston. Apparently there is some talk about dumping snow in the harbor. Not sure how the environmental groups will feel about that, but I'm sure it's fast becoming a safety issue. You have to wonder how many motor vehicle and pedestrian accidents there have been from snow banks obscuring visibility and people having to walk in the street.  Also just read that they are shutting down the transit system at 7 pm tonight and not opening it back up until Wednesday morning. 

70" of snow in 18 days. That's just insane for a major metropolitan area like Boston. Apparently there is some talk about dumping snow in the harbor. Not sure how the environmental groups will feel about that, but I'm sure it's fast becoming a safety issue. You have to wonder how many motor vehicle and pedestrian accidents there have been from snow banks obscuring visibility and people having to walk in the street.  Also just read that they are shutting down the transit system at 7 pm tonight and not opening it back up until Wednesday morning. 

They mentioned in that press conference that they have already melted over 6,000 truckloads and are expecting to do many more than that in the coming days.  Like many other metro areas they have snow farms where snow is stored to be melted.  I think if you look into it that's commonplace now because of environmental reasons.  I know when I lived in Tahoe in the early '90's there was a huge snow dump on Pioneer Trail where snow was stored.  The piles were 100 feet high and lasted well into the summer.  

In Steamboat (CO) when the banks got really big the city would give out orange safety flags like you attach to a bike and we would tape them to the front of our cars sticking out a few feet in front.  This way cross traffic could see when you pulled up to an intersection.  Saved a sh*tton of accidents.

^^ Search this guy http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/15/nyregion/observers-who-just-talk-weather.html (Jerome Thaler) for some of the best detailed Hudson Valley weather info.  I read his book a while back, good stuff, it's filled with all sorts of historical info for around here.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AJerome%20Thaler

Archived