Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The long range may take us there but Old Man Winter isn't ready to pack his bags, that's for sure...

In 2 weeks the clock really starts ticking for us, then the "sun angle and length of day" arguments will actually be valid. Once past March 1st climo quickly starts to work against our favor

In 2 weeks the clock really starts ticking for us, then the "sun angle and length of day" arguments will actually be valid. Once past March 1st climo quickly starts to work against our favor

I am not talking just snow, which it appears you may be.  The long range is cold, with snow chances.  It has to break eventually but I don't see it in the long range yet at all...

I've never bought into the sun angle mantra. It's 15F here today but roofs were dripping and driveways were thawing, but nobody is worried about the sun angle now. Further, many of us have seen accumulating snows into May.

Last March we missed out on a couple monster offshore cyclones, enduring stretches of cold and dry, despite the usual sun angle/climo/seasonal trend platitudes. Sun angle is the least of my worries until April.

I am not talking just snow, which it appears you may be. The long range is cold, with snow chances. It has to break eventually but I don't see it in the long range yet at all...

I don't see any hints of the cold pattern breakdown into March either. i think the inevitable breakdown does happen in March but what part of March? It's anyone's guess

I've never bought into the sun angle mantra. It's 15F here today but roofs were dripping and driveways were thawing, but nobody is worried about the sun angle now. Further, many of us have seen accumulating snows into May.

Last March we missed out on a couple monster offshore cyclones, enduring stretches of cold and dry, despite the usual sun angle/climo/seasonal trend platitudes. Sun angle is the least of my worries until April.

Agreed, and we've seen big storms in both October and April.

March always has the potential to be an amazing snow month. This whole sun angle nonsense drives me crazy! 

And I'm wondering if this could be one of those Marchs.

We've had nonstop cold and snow chances for weeks, and that pattern looks to continue for the foreseeable future. Can we stop worrying about 2' storms or how much snow Boston is getting and just enjoy this stretch?

Its common to miss whats right in front of you because one is looking else where, sadly that will never change for some people.  I'm with you, one hell of a winter here even if I still haven't had a double digit snowfall yet.

GFS has us in the icebox through the next 15 days.. 

Patterns don't just break down overnight too. I can see this lasting well into late March

And this was my point, I know others see it too.  Like I said earlier, sometimes the pattern changes thanks to a big storm, we'll see if that happens this year.

Cold and wind are the main story this weekend, just as we have been discussing all week. Sunday will be a fun day to be a weather enthusiast. Whatever snow we get is gravy.

Agree 100%

Winds won't be as severe here especially during saturday, Temps throughout will be ice cold and .2 - .3 of qpf should yield 3-5"..

Upton cancelled the High Wind Watch, a Wind Advisory will be plenty cold enough!

Off the top of my head, both the NAM and GFS spit out .30 for KMGJ.

I'm guessing they think the inverted trough is going to push over the area, but as others have said, it's near impossible to predict where the band will be at this time, plus, not one model has shown the inverted trough over our area. A couple have had it over the mid-hudson valley. I think they overdid it imo

I'm guessing they think the inverted trough is going to push over the area, but as others have said, it's near impossible to predict where the band will be at this time, plus, not one model has shown the inverted trough over our area. A couple have had it over the mid-hudson valley. I think they overdid it imo

Every single model has an extension of precip over the HV. Yes some areas won't receive as much as others but going with 3-6" for the region is def a smart move.

With the wind we are going to have a hard time measuring it anyway, I say just enjoy whatever falls and blows around.

Archived