Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a few moments, take a look at the mt holly nws forecast discussion.

There are using words I have never seen used prior regarding the cold blast and wind coming. Basically don't go outside or you risk death. If you decide to hunker down at home make sure you have heat, plan to lose power.

Sorta nervous lol.

I was just reading Uptons forecast for tomorrow night, winds 15-25 and gusts to 40 with a low of -7...umm what? That's stupid cold around here.

-7 for a low, up to -1 now.

I was looking at the HRRR and it's underwhelming as of now, several hours of weak WAA snow followed by a narrow squall line. Plenty of time to change, but keeping my expectations low for this one.

The hrrr looks awful and imo it's the most accurate short range model. The rap looks awful too

Looks great. I'm also a fan of that Euro operational run (and the EPS to an extent) for the 23rd...slow moving low with a sprawling high to the north. No shortage of chances, anyway.

What are projected teleconnections? AO and NAO need to get to at least closer to neutral I think for a storm to slow down around these parts. These models love to tease us with long range fantasies, only to verify for New England for the most part. What is going to change that storms do not bullseye New England every freakin storm? It's like a broken record. You are right that at least we have chances, but I am keeping all expectations to a bare minimum given the established pattern. It is fascinating to watch from a met standpoint for sure.

Pretty consistent signals that the Norlun will set up south of here, but looks good for you guys in Orange, Rockland, Putnam, and northern Westchester.

Albany's AFD mentioned a tropopause fold that may cut down on accumulations in eastern NY. Anyone have a quick description of what that is?

Only expecting an inch for Poughkeepsie.

Pretty consistent signals that the Norlun will set up south of here, but looks good for you guys in Orange, Rockland, Putnam, and northern Westchester.

Albany's AFD mentioned a tropopause fold that may cut down on accumulations in eastern NY. Anyone have a quick description of what that is?

Try this: http://www.goes-r.gov/products/opt2-trop-folding.html

hopefully somone is this thread can ride the norlun train later today.

I have set my expecations at 3 inches for the event in my area.

Concerned about the wind the most. Fear my roof blows off tonight. :snowing:

I think ENYsnow will be able to explain it in more detail, but basically, a tropopause fold is associated with a lowering of the tropopause by which stratospheric (very dry and stable) air can be injected into the troposphere. I know tropopause folds are believed to promote rapid intensification of extratropical storms, and that their effects on convective precipitation are disputed, but I've never heard of a forecaster operationally citing one as a rationale for decreasing statiform precip amounts. 

What are projected teleconnections? AO and NAO need to get to at least closer to neutral I think for a storm to slow down around these parts. These models love to tease us with long range fantasies, only to verify for New England for the most part. What is going to change that storms do not bullseye New England every freakin storm? It's like a broken record. You are right that at least we have chances, but I am keeping all expectations to a bare minimum given the established pattern. It is fascinating to watch from a met standpoint for sure.

Well, in theory, climo dictates that suppression soon becomes less likely and storms start getting warmer for the coast. As I mentioned earlier, though, that didn't work out so well for us last season. As much as I'd love to cash in on a blockbuster storm or two, I'd be bummed if eastern New England's luck ran out just before seasonal records were broken. If it takes one more NYC metro fringe job to put them over the top, I wouldn't be too upset. Watching an all-time season unfold 150 miles away is more interesting to me than scraping the bottom of the barrel for a reasonably above-average season imby, but I digress!

There are hints of a more neutral NAO for late next weekend—probably not enough to make much difference, but the Euro showed how we can amplify and slow down a system without big NAO blocking: namely, raised heights over the western Atlantic just before the storm, some transient troughiness near 50/50, and a big surface high getting in the way.

Archived