joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice/rain from coastal OBS Friday/Saturday 1/23-24/2015

famartin

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12:30 am: temp down to 32F (was 33F at 11 pm, when snow started) and we have 1/2" on the ground of fairly wet snow.  Beautiful outside - just took a walk around and slid down my 15-degree driveway.  

Reports are that that heavy sleet batch moved through Philly and it's back to some very heavy snow in the Philly area, even into adjacent S. Jersey.  If we can keep snowing for 4-5 hours, I think we can manage a good 3-4" of snow, which would happily surpass by 2" snow prediction for my house.  

Been ripping snow since about 1 am and we now have 2" of thick, but fluffy snow on the ground and it's down to 31F - over 1" per hour the past hour.  Awesome snowball snow - just threw a bunch at random objects, lol.  

If that SPC report comes true, we'll get 1" per hour rates for the next couple of hours, before sleet and maybe rain mixes in.  Would love to get to 3-4" before that happens.  Love this statement from Upton:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THIS MORNING/...
SNOW OVERSPREADING AREA FROM SW TO NE OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS AND
WILL BECOME MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES. LATEST 00Z GUIDANCE
SUPPORTS AROUND HALF TO THREE-QUARTERS OF AN INCH OF LIQUID
THROUGH 8 AM. WHILE THE WARMER AIR MOVES IN ALOFT TOWARD
DAYBREAK...IT COULD BE A BATTLE WITH STRONG UPPER FORCING. ITS NOT
OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOWFALL EVEN ALONG THE
COAST BY DAYBREAK. 
TEMP PROFILES ARE MARGINAL SO CONFIDENCE IS NOT
HIGH...BUT WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR DUAL POL RADAR DATA AND HIGH
RES MODELS.

East Nantmeal Twp

Chester County PA

Another 1.5" between 1 and 2 am and 3.0" since midnight

up to 3.8" for the snow total so far - snow lightened up just at the top of the hour and now a little IP once again mixing in for first time since between 11:45 and midnight

Currently

Mixed Snow/IP

Temp 31.2

Wind NW 4mph

Media Delaware County outside of a wayward flake here and there moderate to heavy rain still 32 f but not freezing on surfaces...2.1" looks like my 1-2" will work out....Red Sky was going 3-5 for you..good luck with that time for bed snow done here

Thanks. If i can avoid mixing or at least untill 5am 7"+ is a good possibility

Mt. Holly updated their WWAdvisories for the I-95 corridor, now calling for 1-5" which is a huge spread - they probably should break it into smaller sections.  Was wondering why they hadn't updated their AFD since 10 pm.  Happy to see they're seeing reality in the Trenton to Woodbridge corridor, as per below...

TRENTON AREA TO NEW BRUNSWICK...SNOW WILL CONTINUE HEAVY AT
TIMES THROUGH DAWN... POSSIBLY MIXING WITH SLEET OR RAIN FOR A
TIME. TWO TO FOUR INCH AMOUNTS WILL BE COMMON FROM TRENTON TO
NEW BRUNSWICK.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter%20weather%20advisory

Mt. Holly updated their WWAdvisories for the I-95 corridor, now calling for 1-5" which is a huge spread - they probably should break it into smaller sections.  Was wondering why they hadn't updated their AFD since 10 pm.  Happy to see they're seeing reality in the Trenton to Woodbridge corridor, as per below...

TRENTON AREA TO NEW BRUNSWICK...SNOW WILL CONTINUE HEAVY AT

TIMES THROUGH DAWN... POSSIBLY MIXING WITH SLEET OR RAIN FOR A

TIME. TWO TO FOUR INCH AMOUNTS WILL BE COMMON FROM TRENTON TO

NEW BRUNSWICK.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter%20weather%20advisory

Ill be at 4 very shortly, if not already with how heavy it is snowing... almost certain to bust low.

fb5ba46c792fdce11ecaa91c5472b812.jpg

Someone up 80/78 will close in on a foot. Its amazing to think about the .5 vs. 2" stuff we were fretting a few days ago. 2-4 or 3-5 forecasts along 195, 1, and 202 are underdone by half? In a now casting scenario?

Puking snow, unreal, it won't let up. 33F. 4-5" already. Wouldn't be surprised to see 8+ easy. 78 is done, 20+ trucks stuck on the hill after 100

Sent from my iPhone

Went outside in the rain to shovel some snow for the snow pile while it's still there to shovel. Noticed some sleet and snow mixing in once in a while. 32F here. Congrats to all of you still getting snow! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous, but still happy for you and enjoying the reports and enthusiasm!

based on this you MIGHT go back over to snow..on the fence...

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0C-1-6

Archived