joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice/rain from coastal OBS Friday/Saturday 1/23-24/2015

famartin

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the progression of what appears to be the sleet line, from Trenton to Asbury Park, roughly, maintains its current pace, it would reach me in about an hour.  We could have 6" by then!  Where's my friggin' winter storm warning?!  I just want to see my county in pink, lol.

Definitely, I flipped to a sleet rain mix 15 minutes ago after picking up 4.3" so you guys up north yes 6+ is prob a given

If the progression of what appears to be the sleet line, from Trenton to Asbury Park, roughly, maintains its current pace, it would reach me in about an hour.  We could have 6" by then!  Where's my friggin' winter storm warning?!  I just want to see my county in pink, lol.

looks like you got what you wanted with the latest AFD!

Holy crap, it's pouring snow out there.  1.5" over the last hour and we're up to 3.5" here in Metuchen; still at 31F.  2 more hours of this and we'll get to 6".  I know Mt. Holly updated their advisories, but they ought to be thinking about issuing warnings.  

One other cool thing: it's absolutely still out there, which is unusual for moderate/heavy snow - and it's fairly wet snow, so it's accumulated perfectly on every tree/branch, without the wind - simply gorgeous. 

As of 4 am, we have 4.75" of snow on the ground - that's 1.25" the last hour.  Snowing moderately now and still at 31F - not quite as heavily as it was.  If the radar is to be believed, looks like we have another 30-45 minutes of snow, so we should at least make it to 5" which is way beyond the 1-2" Mt. Holly had for us at 4 pm - and back then I pointed out the discontinuity with NWS-NYC, who had SI, to my east, getting 3-4".  Mt. Holly just updated their snowfall map and has me in the 4-6" swath and they put Somerset, Hunterdon, Morris, Sussex, Warren and NE PA under WS Warnings - but not Middlesex, lol.  

StormTotalSnowRange.png

RU848789, on 24 Jan 2015 - 03:11 AM, said:snapback.png

Holy crap, it's pouring snow out there.  1.5" over the last hour and we're up to 3.5" here in Metuchen; still at 31F.  2 more hours of this and we'll get to 6".  I know Mt. Holly updated their advisories, but they ought to be thinking about issuing warnings.  

One other cool thing: it's absolutely still out there, which is unusual for moderate/heavy snow - and it's fairly wet snow, so it's accumulated perfectly on every tree/branch, without the wind - simply gorgeous. 

As of 4 am, we have 4.75" of snow on the ground - that's 1.25" the last hour.  Snowing moderately now and still at 31F - not quite as heavily as it was.  If the radar is to be believed, looks like we have another 30-45 minutes of snow, so we should at least make it to 5" which is way beyond the 1-2" Mt. Holly had for us at 4 pm - and back then I pointed out the discontinuity with NWS-NYC, who had SI, to my east, getting 3-4".  Mt. Holly just updated their snowfall map and has me in the 4-6" swath and they put Somerset, Hunterdon, Morris, Sussex, Warren and NE PA under WS Warnings - but not Middlesex, lol.  

So, sleet started mixing in around 4:30 am and we now have 100% sleet at 5 am and we're at 32F.  Final snowfall tally was 5.25", which is a huge win.  Just stunningly gorgeous out there.  And we have enough snow on the ground now that any rain that falls will be absorbed in the snowpack, rather than melting it - and when it all freezes tonight, we'll actually have more frozen mass than we have now, meaning the frozen slush will last longer than the snow we have now would have if it stopped right now.  Glad I stayed up for all of the snow.  

OBS

32.7F

Rain

Winds light NE

Looking at all those other OBS in this thread, here, there's maybe about 0.75" of wet slop left with some ice coating the colder metal surfaces.  When you can see the ripples of the grass under the blanket of snow, you know there ain't much there. No way there was more than maybe an inch before it changed to rain.

Archived