joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice/rain from coastal OBS Friday/Saturday 1/23-24/2015

famartin

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went outside in the rain to shovel some snow for the snow pile while it's still there to shovel. Noticed some sleet and snow mixing in once in a while. 32F here. Congrats to all of you still getting snow! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous, but still happy for you and enjoying the reports and enthusiasm!

Hahaha Almost 3am and you're shoveling. Hardcore!!! Hahaha Thats awesome! Still snowing here in Central Jersey.

Interesting update!!!

Middlesex-western monmouth-mercer-delaware-philadelphia- western chester-eastern chester-western montgomery- eastern montgomery-lower bucks- including the cities of...New brunswick...Freehold...Trenton... media...Philadelphia...Honey brook...Oxford...West chester... kennett square...Collegeville...Pottstown...Norristown... lansdale...Morrisville...Doylestown 209 AM EST sat jan 24 2015

...Winter weather advisory remains in effect until 8 AM EST this morning...

* Locations...The heart of the interstate 95 corridor from the northeast corner of maryland through philadelphia to trenton and new brunswick.

* Accumulations...Snow accumulation of 1 to 5 inches depending on location...Along with ice accumulations of up to 0.15 inches.

* Philadelphia area to northeast maryland...Rain may change back to snow toward 7 AM. There may be some icing in this stretch as well as well as ponding of water in poor drainage areas.

* Western suburbs across chester county to montgomery county...Widespread 2 to 5 inch wet snow AMounts with any rain probably changing back to snow by dawn.

* Trenton area to new brunswick...Snow will continue heavy at times through dawn... Possibly mixing with sleet or rain for a time. Two to four inch AMounts will be common from trenton to new brunswick.

* Power outages...A chance of scattered power outages where 5 inch AMounts occur.

* Winds...Generally less than 10 mph with a variable direction.

* Temperatures...In the lower 30s.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A winter weather advisory means that periods of snow...Sleet...Or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...And use caution while driving.

Went outside in the rain to shovel some snow for the snow pile while it's still there to shovel. Noticed some sleet and snow mixing in once in a while. 32F here. Congrats to all of you still getting snow! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous, but still happy for you and enjoying the reports and enthusiasm!

You are an upper echelon snow pile man!

After a half hour lull intensity has returned here total so far 5.5"

Damn, weird storm. Went all to mostly sleet and I thought things were done. Practically all snow again at a nice clip...

There hasn't been a single normal thing about this winter. This storm is a microcosm of it. Anything goes the Monday storm could now glaciate Long Island if the Euro is on to something.

ABout 4.5 in Flemington. Took a ride to Wawa. Who are the other maniacs on the road? The "guests" in this thread? I don't like to use the weenie phrases but "pouring" out there still. No sign of sleet but snow is beginning to fall faster. Not heavier but faster...which makes me think that a change gonna come.

Been ripping snow since about 1 am and we now have 2" of thick, but fluffy snow on the ground and it's down to 31F - over 1" per hour the past hour.  Awesome snowball snow - just threw a bunch at random objects, lol.  

If that SPC report comes true, we'll get 1" per hour rates for the next couple of hours, before sleet and maybe rain mixes in.  Would love to get to 3-4" before that happens.  Love this statement from Upton:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THIS MORNING/...

SNOW OVERSPREADING AREA FROM SW TO NE OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS AND

WILL BECOME MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES. LATEST 00Z GUIDANCE

SUPPORTS AROUND HALF TO THREE-QUARTERS OF AN INCH OF LIQUID

THROUGH 8 AM. WHILE THE WARMER AIR MOVES IN ALOFT TOWARD

DAYBREAK...IT COULD BE A BATTLE WITH STRONG UPPER FORCING. ITS NOT

OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOWFALL EVEN ALONG THE

COAST BY DAYBREAK. TEMP PROFILES ARE MARGINAL SO CONFIDENCE IS NOT

HIGH...BUT WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR DUAL POL RADAR DATA AND HIGH

RES MODELS.

Holy crap, it's pouring snow out there.  1.5" over the last hour and we're up to 3.5" here in Metuchen; still at 31F.  2 more hours of this and we'll get to 6".  I know Mt. Holly updated their advisories, but they ought to be thinking about issuing warnings.  

One other cool thing: it's absolutely still out there, which is unusual for moderate/heavy snow - and it's fairly wet snow, so it's accumulated perfectly on every tree/branch, without the wind - simply gorgeous. 

Hate these marginal changeovers...  where it just gets a little above freezing... during a heavier burst of precip... harder to time them out and you get a bigger risk of... busts.

I agree...complete nightmare from your perspective.

No joke though...I went through 2-3 sleet periods...now back to mainly snow.

some rain then sleet now snow mix in again...

talk about knifes edge!!!

congrats Kamu on the change back..

now get back to your shoveling...LOL!!!

Thanks, although it's lighter now and more like rain and sleet. That's okay though, good to know we're still sort of "in the game" here.

That snow with rain in it is heavy dude! Good mass for the snow pile though. It'll be like a rock next week.

yup seems like sleet and rain here in Eastern Berks after 6". maybe the precip just lightned up wierd

One other oddity I noticed which makes your report seem a little more sensible is that warm air swarmed up the Susquehanna Valley, and Harrisburg changed to rain about an hour ago.

Archived