• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Clipper potential Tue Jan 6

NYCSNOWMAN2020

Happened here in 2013. We had a nice band that hugged the extreme south shore. Dropped 3" in about an hour and a half.

The attitude in this thread and this subforum in general is horrendous.

This isnt 01-02. Its going to snow eventually.

Alot of negative nancys

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I learned about clippers is most of the time they are nowcast events ..so with that being said. Let's wait and see

I would not be comfortable declaring anything til tomorrow...need to get some of the higher RES models in range.  the 18Z RGEM looks pretty good for the BWI to PHL corridor but still too far out in the RGEM's range.  Here it shows a general period of light snow 14-20Z but probably 1 inch at most.  I could definitely see 2 down in that area the way things look now.

I think it's better in clipper situations to look at the features and energy. The placement looks good for our area. I wouldn't concentrate too much on QPF. NYC looks good for an inch at least. Arctic fronts have a way of really squeezing available moisture. This is a strong front. I think 1-2 still has a more than decent shot. Most likely someone is going to cash in wherever the bands/focus sets up. I think NYC metro is still in a good spot here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the 12z guidance has shifted south (GFS, UKMET)...heaviest (if you can call it that) precip over central & south Jersey and the coastal waters...tough year for snow, so far. NAM seemed to place the "heaviest" axis over the metro area...but its wild run to run shifts the last few winters make it very difficult to base a forecast on.

If I had my druthers, they would go back to running the ETA as the leading North American mesoscale model.

The Eta was a wonderful model imo

Ratios will be higher then normal. Would not surprise me if someone gets 2"-3" out of this. Regardless, bad start timing with the morning rush and school.

Cold temps don't yield good ratios without decent vertical ascent. Going by the Coolwx graphics, the 18z GFS shows whatever minimal negative omega associated with the disturbance occurring over the DGZ in temps as low as -35C. I imagine ratios will be pretty putrid unless we can buy some meaningful radar echoes

Cold temps don't yield good ratios without decent vertical ascent. Going by the Coolwx graphics, the 18z GFS shows whatever minimal negative omega associated with the disturbance occurring over the DGZ in temps as low as -35C. I imagine ratios will be pretty putrid unless we can buy some meaningful radar echoes

Too cold in the DGZ is just as bad as not cold enough. A lot of people forget that.

Guest Pamela

This clipper died a quick death. C'est la vie.

In the words of Warner Wolf, "You can turn your sets off right there."

I'd be pretty surprised if we saw over an inch down here. The southern trend has been a sight to behold. Hopefully you all are able to get a little out of this as well. 

The models tend to dampen these a bit more than reality...notice how now there is definitely some increased strength over SE PA and MD than models showed a day or two ago...in general dampening system weaken slower than models initially indicate, we may see a further uptick in the next 24 hours.

Guest Pamela

I remember making a post (possibly in another venue) last March about how all the near misses that month might symbolize a "Great Turning Point" against the NYC area as far as luck with snow goes...just as several events in the past sort of marked turning points heralding the recent snowy regime...more eerie symmetry.

Either way...its been almost 11 months since the city saw a snowfall of more than an inch or so. 

Guest Pamela

on the 12th day, there'll be three inches of rain.

I would have thought 12 drummers drumming...but if you say so...

Guest Pamela

It is really funny how they say...life imitates art...or weather imitates life...or something like that...last year...we are like a bunch of fat cats...would barely notice a little dusting or clipper...like the millionaire who throws money away...then, due to a series of unlucky circumstances...he goes broke and he would beg for a single dollar so he could buy a bowl of soup...but he can't even get that much...just like we can barely manage to see a flurry.

Archived