• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

mackerel_sky

Yeah, youre right, and certainly its better than we have done down here, but it still seems disappointing to most up there i would bet.

Definitely, last night at this time they were looking at 8-10" which would almost get them to climo for the season with Feb/March to go. I still think they get there as they usually land on there feet.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ITA.. it sucks beyond words. At least theyve have like 10-15 inches from Reston to Winchester  but thats a sorry year too really.

Looks like Dulles, etc. isn't that far off average.  Definitely no pity for them.  In fact, I envy them.  They also experienced a million inches of snow 2009-2010, so I will never again pity the Mid-Atlantic for as long as I live.

Meanwhile, GSO sits at 0% of average with about 8-9" to go to hit average.  It could happen in one storm, but it's an uphill battle.  Even if we get lucky and get a great storm that gets us to average, I'm going to have a hard time calling this a good winter.   :axe:

Cohen called me today. He said Rdu has finished above normal precip for 3 straight months. Will average below normal temp wise 2 out of last 3 months. If Feb can avg - 1.5 to -2 then DJF will average below normal temp wise for the season. Then he said to tell you triangle guys , when you get 8 inches of snow next Thursday , that your seasonal snowfall avg will be 110% of normal. He asked if anyone would volunteer to climb down a cliff and help some guy from Apex get back up top.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we technically pulled this off in the crappy winter that has unfolded so far. Probably will end up below normal temp wise and above precip wise and get shut out. After all the pre season hype, what a slap in the face that would be.

ok serious question here.

I know all of us on here love snow --well , most of us anyway.

So why dont some of you guys consider moving further north to live in a snowier climate?

Would love to, but I call the county I grew up in my home. Moved back after I completed my undergraduate to married my wife and work in the local school system.

Luckily it is in the southern foothills of NC, so it is close to the action.

That said, i would be game for an extended sabbatical up north ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cohen called me today. He said Rdu has finished above normal precip for 3 straight months. Will average below normal temp wise 2 out of last 3 months. If Feb can avg - 1.5 to -2 then DJF will average below normal temp wise for the season. Then he said to tell you triangle guys , when you get 8 inches of snow next Thursday , that your seasonal snowfall avg will be 110% of normal. He asked if anyone would volunteer to climb down a cliff and help some guy from Apex get back up top.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we technically pulled this off in the crappy winter that has unfolded so far. Probably will end up below normal temp wise and above precip wise and get shut out. After all the pre season hype, what a slap in the face that would be.

We're not getting shutout, man.  Keep the faith in the flakes.  But seriously, I doubt it... it's likely we get something in Fab Feb or Marvelous March.  Maybe the D6 system will even work out.  If not, we've got another month-and-a-half to play with and the chances are that we'll eventually at least get lucky.  All seemed lost in 2011-2012, then it snowed on February 19th.

We're not getting shutout, man.  Keep the faith in the flakes.  But seriously, I doubt it... it's likely we get something in Fab Feb or Marvelous March.  Maybe the D6 system will even work out.  If not, we've got another month-and-a-half to play with and the chances are that we'll eventually at least get lucky.  All seemed lost in 2011-2012, then it snowed on February 19th.

We are getting shutout, most confident I have been about anything. Almost as confident as my call back in Dec that RDU would finish over 10" on the season, LOL!

Yea I don't fear a shutout, if it hasn't happened in years way worse than this crap, we should eek out a score, even if it's a layup or free throw. I'd get excited a little for next week, but man the models are as unpredictable and bi polar as I've ever witnessed. I'm not a fan of fast flow like weve seen this year. I will be on guard for it in future years looking at pre seasonal forecast, that's for sure.

Would love to, but I call the county I grew up in my home. Moved back after I completed my undergraduate to married my wife and work in the local school system.

Luckily it is in the southern foothills of NC, so it is close to the action.

That said, i would be game for an extended sabbatical up north ;)

Sent from my iPhone

HAHA.. thats cool.

I moved here mostly for family/health reasons, but it just doesnt feel right.

I never considered myself Southern-i was born and raised in Northern Virginia--which while below the Mason-Dixon line--is not Southern at all...LOL

Spent lots of time in Western Pa near Pittsburgh where my dad is from and just feel much more at home there. I think the people are more like me there too--hard to explain really.

Anyway, would love to move back further North, but its not in the cards right now for me.

Looks like Dulles, etc. isn't that far off average.  Definitely no pity for them.  In fact, I envy them.  They also experienced a million inches of snow 2009-2010, so I will never again pity the Mid-Atlantic for as long as I live.

Meanwhile, GSO sits at 0% of average with about 8-9" to go to hit average.  It could happen in one storm, but it's an uphill battle.  Even if we get lucky and get a great storm that gets us to average, I'm going to have a hard time calling this a good winter.   :axe:

I can totally understand that. IAD had 73.2 in 09-10 and 52.8 inches last season. Im not sure what CLT or GSO or RDU's record seasons are but they are probably under 30 i would say.

I can totally understand that. IAD had 73.2 in 09-10 and 52.8 inches last season. Im not sure what CLT or GSO or RDU's record seasons are but they are probably under 30 i would say.

31.6" for RDU, several above 25", but is rare. Realistic great seasons are in the 15-18" range, which we haven't seen in some time.

Honestly, I'd prefer a cold dry winter over a warm dry one. I don't have much experience with prolonged cold (multiple days below freezing), and I think it would be cool to see ponds and lakes freeze over. Plus, my hat and gloves would get some significant use. I'd also like to see how easily my body would adapt if it stayed below 45 for weeks on end.

Honestly, I'd prefer a cold dry winter over a warm dry one. I don't have much experience with prolonged cold (multiple days below freezing), and I think it would be cool to see ponds and lakes freeze over. Plus, my hat and gloves would get some significant use. I'd also like to see how easily my body would adapt if it stayed below 45 for weeks on end.

Cold and dry is awesome after a deep snow. I love days and days in the 20s and 30s for highs. With a snowpack, the nights are beautiful especially when its clear and the moon is bright---driving at night is really cool with the moon shining off the deep snow.

I'd guess somewhere in the low to mid 30"s.  I think 1986-1987 was close to 30".

31.6" for RDU, several above 25", but is rare. Realistic great seasons are in the 15-18" range, which we haven't seen in some time.

Do you know what the record for GSO is?  I've looked, but never been able to find it.  I'd guess over 30".

We are NOT getting shut out.

Damn right.

---

BTW, the Mid-Atlantic subforum is pretty hilarious right now.  They are fun to read when they bust.  Then again, we probably are, too.

I think I have figured out why the southeast is getting shut out in the snow department.

Whenever my wife buys snow gear for our kids before the season, we end up having a craptacular winter.  She bought our daughter a new sled a couple of months ago.

Please accept my sincere apologies.  It's my wife's fault.  I've advised her to buy shorts and sandals next November.

I'd guess somewhere in the low to mid 30"s.  I think 1986-1987 was close to 30".

Do you know what the record for GSO is?  I've looked, but never been able to find it.  I'd guess over 30".

1986-87 got 23.4".

The record is 32.5" in 1926-27.

Here is a link to climate data for Raleigh and Greensboro: http://www.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=rah

1986-87 got 23.4".

The record is 32.5" in 1926-27.

Here is a link to climate data for Raleigh and Greensboro: http://www.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=rah

Wow, thank you!  I don't know how I managed to miss that great resource in the past.  I guess I never looked at the NOWData tab. :)

Love me some 1959-1960... 8.6" in February, then 21.3" in March.  Definitely my top weenie analog for this year.  Fab Feb and Marvelous March, here we come!!!  :yikes:

I think I have figured out why the southeast is getting shut out in the snow department.

Whenever my wife buys snow gear for our kids before the season, we end up having a craptacular winter.  She bought our daughter a new sled a couple of months ago.

Please accept my sincere apologies.  It's my wife's fault.  I've advised her to buy shorts and sandals next November.

We bought our girls actual snow boots this year for Christmas (they usually wear rain boots). *sigh*

Meh, I bought proper snow boots after outgrowing my old ones a few years ago (didn't really need any from 2010-January 2014, LOL!!!). I bought them right after our cold January snow and they came in use in February! ;)

I wear shorts and a t shirt, until it hits the teens, then I may get a hoodie out! Buy a sled if you really want to jinx winter!

Archived